Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

So, what will be Obsidian's excuse from now on?

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Theldaran, May 20, 2018.

1. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Click here and disable ads!
    I'm playing Fallout 2 for the first time right now, and yesterday I was greeted with this amazing scene. Chris is a divine person I say you, he looked into the future when he made F2:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 16
    • meh meh x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Indiana should be fine & provided for I guess but the Q is what will they do with the rest of the studio after Deadfire expansions? Since its probably not as successful as they hoped it to be, they could go for a quick 3rd installment without much improvement on production quality to not waste the upgrades they did from Pillars 1 to 2 or less likely scenarios are 3rd action PoE crowdfunding or ditch it completely :P I don't think they'll do another crowdfunding for PoE3 if it stays iso.

I don't see Feargus leaving but then again we're not seeing him doing anything publicly, interviews and such. Chris really cornered him professionally I guess. Any potential future crowdfunding would have a steep uphill to climb with Feargus at the helm.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    There are a bunch of Black Isle and Obsidian games with characters self-deprecatingly named Feargus. There are actually two Fearguses in Fallout 2 alone (I guess nobody noticed)

But ironically the person doing the spying right now is MCA.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    Nothing will upgrade that pos engine to non-pos.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    The engine is the least of their problems.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Theldaran Learned

Theldaran
    Parrots:
    I guess the imitation to BG will go as far as doing only 2 games.

^ Top  
  7. Bocian Magister

Bocian
    Parrots:
    Toolset and community-made enhancements can make it look really good. Worst graphical things in the game IMO are armor and weapon models, and both have outstanding replacements made by modders. The outcome can be quite appealing - or at least not as repulsive as you claim it to be.
    Original campaign really gives this game a bad name, and it's a sad thing. It's strength lies in the content created by the players. And also, the game is still alive despite being 16 years old, there are very good online servers (most sadly switched to un-enhanced edition) and a few hundred-strong active community. It's a lot, all things considering.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    Writing and mechanics are an easier fix than writing an actual decent engine methinks.

^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Absolutely. I was just thinking that they could make a great RPG even with this engine, they should concentrate on improving their writing, which they manage to fuck up a lot recently.

^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Parrots:
    This is always a hilarious comparison to make. A dev team in Poland is not a dev team in fucking California, when it comes to budget. It's not a comparison you can make. It's not even close. Might as well be different planets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Thonius Savant

Thonius
    Parrots:
    First step for obsidian in a road to success - fucking move out of California. Or make a Europe division that will actually make games instead of consuming soy latte by gallons.
    There are shit ton of good devs and 2d/3d artist that come in cheap too and dont really care about no race/gender issues that floods modern games from usa.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :brodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. sser Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    Yes, but as I and others have pointed out, that Obsidian developed Fallout: New Vegas means the company's sole worthwhile game was created using Bethesda's Gamebryo-derived engine (after it had deteriorated in Oblivion and Fallout 3 relative to its original use in Morrowind) and with a setting derived from Interplay's original two Fallout games (plus additional material from stalled projects). Obsidian's talented programmers and writers should have been creating games at other developers rather than letting their careers waste away in a company that is a shadow of Interplay and Black Isle.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Cael Ask me about BattleTech Dumbfuck Edgy

Cael
    Parrots:
    Not going to work for 2 reasons:

1. Europe is even further down the SJW tubes than California, unless you are talking Eastern Europe and Russia. They had SJW riots over Brexit and same sex marriage even before Trump was voted in.

2. It is not the devs and artists that made the decision to include those shit in the final product, but the owners and upper echelon of management that allowed it to happen. A writer can write all they want about trannies and whale sex, but if the studio owner disallows it, then it won't happen in the final product. Moving out of soy latteland only means they make soy games for cheaper, and we don't want that because we want them to go bankrupt, not turn a profit.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I am Playing Fallout Nevada now and its even better at places than original fallouts were; Black Isles and early Obsidian were great guys, just great but them made their bed with SJ Warriors and them must feel the consequences. I am going to back Atom RPG instead of nostalgy for 80-ties and 90-ties when even Libruls were Cool.

:mca:

Time to forget but not forgive and move to greener pastures Comrades.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Felix Magister

Felix
    Parrots:
    The solution is move to Poland or Russia.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    Parrots:
    No, that should be exactly their niche.

^ Top  
  19. Ravness Novice

Ravness
    Parrots:
    Why don't people like Feargus? I feel like Obsidian has to downscale now and focus on smaller games due to their uh... low earnings. I also don't think anyone in the industry will give Obsidian another break, didn't they already fuck it up with Paradox Interactive? They can't keep relying on Kikestarter or Fig to keep them afloat

• Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. rusty_shackleford Learned

rusty_shackleford
    Parrots:
    obsidian's new niche will be android shovelware after their last faceplant

^ Top  
  21. Theldaran Learned

Theldaran
    Parrots:
    Uh, they did? Was it because Tyranny was pure rubbish and therefore a commercial failure?

^ Top  
  22. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    No, it has been claimed, that they used publisher funds, which were meant for Tyranny for Deadfire (which allegedly contributed to Tyranny falling short).

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Wasn't it Pillars 1?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    Might as well be, I'm not completely sure.

^ Top  
  25. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Deadfire's development was a bit in conjunction with Tyranny's latest DLCs and MCA left long before that so he'd be talking about Pillars 1 which had a more troubled development than Deadfire.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)