Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Total War

Multi-headed Cow

Was playing MTW2. Noticed I had a princess sitting around, Ealdgyth the Dense, with 1 charm. Next turn, I got a council of nobles mission saying I had a general who desperately wanted to marry her, and I would be rewarded with free soldiers if I married them. So I hauled her ass over and got them married, got some free expensive units, and he got the traits "Wife is unpleasant, -1 popularity" and "Wife is undesirable, -1 popularity". Fuckin' a.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Multi-headed Cow said:
Was playing MTW2. Noticed I had a princess sitting around, Ealdgyth the Dense, with 1 charm. Next turn, I got a council of nobles mission saying I had a general who desperately wanted to marry her, and I would be rewarded with free soldiers if I married them. So I hauled her ass over and got them married, got some free expensive units, and he got the traits "Wife is unpleasant, -1 popularity" and "Wife is undesirable, -1 popularity". Fuckin' a.

It's shit like that which keeps me coming back to this series. It's full of flaws, but sometimes...

Ashery

Prophet
I need to pick up their more recent titles...M:TW is getting horribly boring. On expert as the Turks, early era, I lost a grand total of one fight, and that was during Byzantine's last stand (All the way up in Lithuania) when they had their eight star king and his four princes (All in command of fourty of their heavy cavalry) and a mix of other light troops as well. Horse archers rule the day when you're able to micromanage, but that's impossible to do when your front is almost the entire map length :\

Panthera

Scholar
Ashery said:
I need to pick up their more recent titles...M:TW is getting horribly boring. On expert as the Turks, early era, I lost a grand total of one fight, and that was during Byzantine's last stand (All the way up in Lithuania) when they had their eight star king and his four princes (All in command of fourty of their heavy cavalry) and a mix of other light troops as well. Horse archers rule the day when you're able to micromanage, but that's impossible to do when your front is almost the entire map length :\

Skip straight to Medieval 2 or Empire.

racofer

Thread Incliner
JarlFrank said:
Same here. I like the new approach to battles. They don't become clusterfucks anymore.... *pretentious argumentation about my uberintellect*..

But what would Total War be without clusterfucking combat?

Ashery

Prophet
Already played M:TW to death, so would like a change of scenery.

The ideal solution there would be to pick up the Era's package as I also want the VI expansion for M:TW. Except for some odd fucking reason it isn't available anywhere. Well, that's not quite true, Gamestop listed a couple stores in LA as having it in stock (Ha, driving 75miles for a fucking game? And even if I were in LA for other reasons, I'd never be within a reasonable distance of the stores) and the only new version on Amazon was going for 70$...used were 42$+.

Fuck that.

Yarrr, matey.

Ashery

Prophet
Soo...

Anyone know how to fix the fucking CTD issues with the EB mod for R:TW? After a bit of searching, I found some info that pointed the finger at using certain graphics settings unless you're running a top of the line video card...and then the proceeded to say a 5600 would be decent enough for some/most of the settings (I'm running an 8800). Still, I changed some of the settings and am hoping that helps, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure...

Other than that, my only other large complaint is regarding the pathfinding AI in sieges. Although there definitely are some other minor improvements that could be made, nothing else has been serious...

Ashery

Prophet
Well, looks like EB is now unplayable due to ctd's...

Finished my first fight after changing a few settings and I got a ctd right afterwards...After a good 30-40minute long siege defense that ended in a 33% to 99% casualty rate...

Not sure I'll be able to do as well again, as the gatehouse stayed up and I kept over half of their siege from getting onto the walls...

Monocause

Arcane
I had maybe one or two ctd's during my entire time with EB, with my HD 3850 or the GMA 950 integrated thingie earlier.

Know any good MTW2 mods that provide a more historical gameplay and more challenge? So far I've found the Broken Crescent and will probably give it a try by the weekend, but I don't know if the Middle East setting will drag me in.

In the worst case I'll wait until they release EB2.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ashery said:
Well, looks like EB is now unplayable due to ctd's....

I find that incredibly odd. The only CTD I get with EB is when I need to fight multiple battles during the AI turn. And that happens only after I have been playing 3-4 hours. Some sort of memory leak I suspect.

You should post on their forums - they have a lot of helpful people.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Monocause said:
Know any good MTW2 mods that provide a more historical gameplay and more challenge? So far I've found the Broken Crescent and will probably give it a try by the weekend, but I don't know if the Middle East setting will drag me in.

In the worst case I'll wait until they release EB2.

I like Deus Lo Vult. It can be tricky starting though so read up in the forums first.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309

EB2 is probably a year away from they way they talk on the forum. Kind of a bummer considering most of the background work was already done. But what do I know about modding.

Shannow

Waster of Time
oldmanpaco said:
Ashery said:

I find that incredibly odd. The only CTD I get with EB is when I need to fight multiple battles during the AI turn. And that happens only after I have been playing 3-4 hours. Some sort of memory leak I suspect.
And I find that completely in line with mine and my friends's experiences. You play a game that is much better than TW:R vanilla, but suffers severely from lagginess on the overview map even on modern systems and just shoves a few too many historical details in your face and then crashes around turn 80-90. Always in the same situation. No matter whether you used the fixes, no matter whether you reload a few turns before hand the game will crash at the same point again. While my expirience is over 6 months old it doesn't seem like they got that fixed.

Ashery

Prophet
Shannow said:
oldmanpaco said:
Ashery said:

And I find that completely in line with mine and my friends's experiences. You play a game that is much better than TW:R vanilla, but suffers severely from lagginess on the overview map even on modern systems and just shoves a few too many historical details in your face and then crashes around turn 80-90. Always in the same situation. No matter whether you used the fixes, no matter whether you reload a few turns before hand the game will crash at the same point again. While my expirience is over 6 months old it doesn't seem like they got that fixed.

I'm not sure my issue is the same as yours. Lagginess isn't an issue on my end and the crashes aren't around a specific turn count. Rather, the crashes are always after large battles...which is really the worst spot for them to occur. Supposedly, waiting for 15-30 seconds after a large battles helps, but I've had only marginal success with that. You can also modify your boot.ini and allow R:TW to access more than 2gigs of memory, as that appears to be the issue with larger battles.

I actually enjoy the near excess of historical information...Most of it is pure flavor and it well done, although there are a few weak spots (Using different names for the Roman gods, for instance, as the buildings use Jupiter, Juno, etc, while some of the "Worshiper of..." traits use other names.

And I've already checked out the forums and found some posts detailing exactly the type of problem I'm having...

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i ve been playing empire recently but the AI is really doing its best to ruin my fun.

playing as prussia mostly on very hard, for starters because i have a prussian family background and secondary because with the naval invasion bug everyone s talking about i decided to focus on good old fashioned land warfare.

but so far most outta my prussian games had to be abandoned around 1720-1730 because of the sheer lack of challenge and easyness to take whole europe by storm.

only 1 game actually played out "very hard" because i got into a 4 front war with austria, bavaria, poland and hannover at once - leading to my end in 1716, but at least it was tons of fun fighting for survival with berlin switching owners 6 times before they beat all my military and captured my last region.

otherwise the AI has been dumb as shit so far. especially poland. does CA have something against poles ? their AI regularly sends SINGLE units (sometimes even a single cannon unit) against my regions guarded by 6+ line infantry. often 3-4 times a turn.
other factions at least manage to fight with proper armies, at least sometimes.

most hilarious moment in one campaign was that i ended up making poland-lithuania a protectorate and giving them all the territories back that i conquered from them. i wanted basically a strong poland to guard my east and help me against austria later on.

and they thankfully took back those regions.... except for actual poland (warsaw) ???
i was trying to gift it to them, heck even aided by a further 3000 bucks bonus payment, yet they still refused to take their former capital back over and over.

a few years later the warsaw neither me nor poland wanted ended up in austrian hands as i didnt bother properly defending it. heck, actually i wanted exactly that because maybe then my polish allies would finally take it back by force when it wasnt working as a gift before...... and as expected since i was beating the austrians in prague and before vienna .... the poles marched their troops, 3 armies each with 4-8 units in the region around warsaw - which according to my spies was garrisoned by only 4 austrian units. i thought next turn finally poland would get its capital back ... but no - 10 turns later the same 3 armies were still standing in the same places, not having moved an inch, not having engaged in combat once, not even trying to siege warsaw. they did absolutely nothing despite having 3-4:1 numbers vs. the warsaw garrison, and despite them not being in another war that could divert attention for them.

i dunno, i remember the MTW2 AI wasnt great either, but empire has seriously hit a new low for me personally. which is pretty bad, considering i d love to enjoy the rest of the game, but its hard to keep playing when nobody stands a chance against you.

same happened in MTW2 too, but not quite as fast as in empire unless my memory s playing tricks to me.

do Darth Mod and Imperial Splendour (or other mods) provide at least SOME challenge or is E:TW a lost cause for now ?

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, especially the campaign map AI in Empire has reached an all-time low. It's simply no challenge at all, the AI empires will just sit by as you take one region after the other.

From what I read, Darth's AI mod should help the campaign AI along a fair bit, but I've not tried it yet myself.

Monocause

Arcane
ETW AI got me disillusioned too. The only time when I faced some challenge was when playing Poland. On turn 3 the Habsburgs declared war. I've managed to defeat their main army near Warsaw, with heavy losses - thanks to the Polish excellent cavalry. Then I pushed recruiting hard and started to wonder why the Austrians haven't attacked again considering that they've got better technology and military facilities. A rake sent into their territory revealed that they had their cities manned with powerful garrisons, just sitting there.

Same happened during the American campaign, with the British having powerful forces but being reluctant to crush me. I thought this was intentional as the US campaign was a tutorial of sorts, but it's just a hellishly buggy AI.

I'll return to ETW in half a year or so probably and play a patched and heavily modded product. In this state it's unenjoyable.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The first mayor patch is out due next week. The only real problem for me is the lack of naval invasions and that's supposed to be fixed. Darth's Empire mod has done some pretty nasty things with the battles and AI that really increases the challenge. He says he pretty much figured out the naval invasion AI and is just waiting for the patch to fix the hardcoded bugs so he can implement it and then the game will be pretty much great for me.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Trash said:
The first mayor patch is out due next week. The only real problem for me is the lack of naval invasions and that's supposed to be fixed. Darth's Empire mod has done some pretty nasty things with the battles and AI that really increases the challenge. He says he pretty much figured out the naval invasion AI and is just waiting for the patch to fix the hardcoded bugs so he can implement it and then the game will be pretty much great for me.

Naval invasions? Do you really want dozens of single-unit navies offloading dozens of single-unit armies across your island, at completely random locations? No thanks, I'll stay away from the patch until I read some feedback on it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tried a few games with the patch and I must say it's an immense improvement. Naval invasions are not extremely common, but also not that rare and when they happen the AI will move a good stack of troops. AI seems quite a bit more agressive, is more reasonable in peace negotiations and even seems a bit more intelligent in battles. I'm also glad to report that ships captured are now actually captured and that boarding an enemy is now a viable tactic.

There's still quite some ground for improvement, bu the game is defenitely a lot more stable and of fun to play now. It saddens me to see how unfinished the initial product was when compared with what we've got now though.

burrie

Scholar
Total War: Middle Earth

It seems to be a pretty well-made mod, with focus on detail. Only thing that they haven't really changed are the voice-overs, so you'll have Italian dwarves and german goblins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom