Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Total War

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've never played any Total Wars but from screenshots it looks like that mass combat looks mighty awesome.
So which game from the series is the most awesome meat-wise? (and of course strategical possibilities-wise)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Start from the first ones:
- Shogun: Total War
- Medieval: Total War

You can go along that order.

Tigranes said:
The rest are shit.

They look nice, but unfortunately, the new movement system handicaps the AI in the strategic portion of the game. The battles also start with troops too close together, allowing much less maneuvering and ambushing than the original two.

Rome is still a fine game when coupled with the Europa Barbarorum mod.

Zuikov

Educated
I recommend trying Shogun first also. It has something in its atmosphere that makes it special. Get the expansion also.

The first Medieval is an ok game. The Viking Invasion expansion is really good because its one of the few campaings where its fun to play until the end like in Shogun. It starts to get boringly easy in the main campaign once you get powerful enough and some money starts rolling in. There are some mods that help though. I'd say the main campaign is obsolete as of MTW2.

Unmodded Rome is just shit. Go for Europa Barbarorum or some other total conversion mod that interests you.

Medieval 2 is a little better than Rome but there is no reason not to use mods from the beginning. Stainless Steel is what I use. Deus lo Vult is also worth checking out. The EB team is making a new version of EB for MTW 2 so it might be worth wating for that one to be released if you wan't to skip Rome completely :x

So if you're not interested in medieval Japan or the viking age british isles I'd say go for MTW2 and mod the hell out of it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Shogun, but the graphics have aged very unfavorably.

If you are more interested in the battles have a look at Take Command 2nd Manassas, too.

Biges

Novice
I prefer the first Medieval. The newer MTW2 and RTW feel like a dumbed down versions of it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I couldn't care less about the graphics - it is the amount of units on the battlefield smashing each other that interests me.

I think I will go for Shogun (because of depth) or M2:TW (because of numbers)

Burning Bridges

Then Shogun is really the best choice. Some tips:

Don't forget to enable the Japanese voiceovers.

The game should be played on very hard / very hard.

The key to success in STW is to rush the first turns. You must conquer ronin provinces as quickly as possible, which means you must take risks. You must build up your income fast. Once you earn enough Koku, you can build up your economy.

All Clans offer some sort of special challenge. I personally recommend to start with a Northern clan, because all rich provinces are north. The Takeda Clan became my favorite clan because they have the best cavalry and mountains to defend, and are really challenging. If you want as easy game, the Uesegi are a good choice: they have cheap archers, room for expansion and gold.

As for the middle clans, I never had much for the Hojo. The Oda can field large numbers of cheap Ashigaru, and a good income if in control of Owami and Ise. The Imagawa are the most challenging clan, and you should maybe not play them first.

The southern clans are very nice, but you might end up outnumbered by a horde. The Mori have the Warrior Monks, and a good starting position. Shimazu is best for cheap musceteers (needs conversion to christianity), but their strategic position is very weak.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blackadder said:
Rome is still a fine game when coupled with the Europa Barbarorum mod.
This. Medieval 2 also has some great mods. Mods are the best thing about the new TW games. You should get all of the TW games, especially since Shogun, Medieval and Rome are already pretty cheap in the bargain bins [get them with their expansions].

and
bat_boro said:
Just go play Knights of Honor!
This. Definitely. KoH is a great game [and has lovely 2D graphics].

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh and btw, what about the Shogun Total War expansion, Mongol Invasion? It's the only part of the Total War series that I haven't played yet and I wonder if it's worth getting.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Play:
Shogun: Total War
Rome: Total War with Europa Barbarorum
Medieval II: Total War with Dominion of the Sword when it's released (still months until release)

You should just skip playing first Medieval: Total War, vanilla Rome and vanilla second Medieval.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Watch out if you've got a recent Nvidia card though. Neither Shogun nor Medieval 1 will work one 8 series cards +.

Oh and btw, what about the Shogun Total War expansion, Mongol Invasion?
It's pretty meh, from what I could tell. Bearing in mind that I originally played both as a complete package (i.e. the expansion content was already loaded, so it wasn't exactly sure what it had added), it did seem as if it was simply a pretty poor Mongol invasion campaign (you own the entirety of Japan, and the Mongols land armies at various points) and some shitty wapanese fantasy shit (battlefield ninjas, retarded single man Kensai unit).

Burning Bridges

The mongol campaign is worthless but the epxansion added new stuff to the Sengoku campaign ( Naginata cavalry, additional training centres, better ronin clans, as well as graphics and interface improvements ). I can't remember if these features were available as a separate patch. The x-pack also made the game easier and less unfair, because the AI would not cheat any more. (With STW vanilla the endgame sucked because of the Hojo Horde, although it has to be said that made the game very challenging for some.)

So I would recommend to get the x-pack too.

Seboss

Liturgist
I never played Shogun but played MTW 1 to death.
MTW 1 is still my favourite. I always preferred the province-based strategy map of Shogun/MTW to the fancier one of RTW and later.
The new map offers more tactical depth I suppose but there's far too much micromanagement involved for my tastes (spies, emissaries, traders, retinues, blah blah).
Besides, the AI is just plain dumb.

Unfortunately, MTW is not without its fault. Diplomacy, for example, is useless. It's almost impossible to build any solid alliance. The AI will just stab you on the first occasion every single time.

I wish there was a game as simple and elegant as MTW (ie not the bloated micromanagement mess RTW is) but with better diplo and AI.

Zuikov

Educated
skyway said:
What about two expansions for Rome?

The expansions in all 4 games provide some upgrades to the main game as well. So You'd be better off getting them also.

The campaign in Barbarian Invasion is ok but it doesn't fare well against the excellent mods. I'd say get it for mod compatibility and the general upgrades.

The Alexander campaign is nothing special as it's mainly about battles. Although I think it provides some enchantments to the AI in the original campaign(and unofficially to the EB too with some tinkering).

Check out http://www.twcenter.net/ for the modifications.

racofer

Thread Incliner
skyway said:
I couldn't care less about the graphics - it is the amount of units on the battlefield smashing each other that interests me.

Then ignore the new ones and stick with the originals.

bat_boro

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
bat_boro said:
This. Definitely. KoH is a great game [and has lovely 2D graphics].

Yeah, it's really a great game, which considering that it was the debut of Black Sea Studios is some pretty impressive shit. Which kind of explains my slight disappointment of their next game - Worldshift - some multiplayer strategy RTS

Another cool thing in Knights of Honor is the OST - Borislav Savov, who is maybe one of the most original artists in the bussiness (responsible for the Gothic 3 OST and for the upcomming Two Worlds: Temptation OST)

Burning Bridges

Seboss said:
I never played Shogun but played MTW 1 to death.
MTW 1 is still my favourite. I always preferred the province-based strategy map of Shogun/MTW to the fancier one of RTW and later.
The new map offers more tactical depth I suppose but there's far too much micromanagement involved for my tastes (spies, emissaries, traders, retinues, blah blah).
Besides, the AI is just plain dumb.

I think the problem is the AI could never handle the new map, where as the province map could be scripted to very high efficiency.

Besides the STW map was a work of art. I never found MTW so appealing, imo already several steps back in terms of athmosphere.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Bluebottle said:
Watch out if you've got a recent Nvidia card though. Neither Shogun nor Medieval 1 will work one 8 series cards +.

Oh and btw, what about the Shogun Total War expansion, Mongol Invasion?
So that's why I had such problems with those games when I bought my 8600GT, bloody hell.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What's all this about the older games being better than the new ones? I felt like each game was an improvement on the last. Honestly I don't think I could go back to the older games after playing the newer ones.

Anyway, I just bought the Total War Eras package (first three games plus all expansions) and then Medieval 2 plus expansion. That's the best bang for your buck.

So, the game run-down:

Shogun: When I played this I was making comparisons to the Lords of the Realm games (anyone remember those?) which I had played when I was younger. It was definitely better. The main thing that stood out for me was the fact that all units (generals, assassins, spies, etc.) gain experience in the game. I enjoyed the game.

Mongol Invasion: It's alright. Play as the Mongols for a different gaming experince.

Medieval: Much better. The main thing that was improved was the campaign map. There were now a lot more factions and possibilities. The shape of Japan and the fact that there were only seven factions in Shogun made strategic options rather limiting, to be honest. Another thing that Medieval added were a wide variety of traits (called Vices and Virtues) that each individual character (generals, family memerbs, priests, etc.) could gain. Sometimes these traits were random and sometimes they were directly based on what actions you made the character commit. For instance, if you made a general kill an insane amount of captives during a battle he might get the Butcher trait, which would increase his Dread (which effects enemy morale).

Viking Invasion: Never played it, but they basically did the same thing for the M2 expansion.

Rome: Fuck yeah. The two main things that were changed were the change to 3D in the battles and movement on the main map being based on movement points rather than simply dropping people in provinces. In the battles this meant that units could "mesh togther" and form different shapes in the heat of battle rather than being locked into static blocks. On the campaign map you could do things like build forts at strategic areas, set up ambushes, and do pincer attacks. Perhaps the enemy AI did act a bit stupid sometimes ("indecisive" would be the word I would use) but it didn't seem to be something too out of line. Whatever faults this new system might have had, however, the way reinforcments were handled more than made up for it.

So, to explain: there is a maximum number of units that you can control in a battle. (16 for the first two games, 20 afterwards) Originally if you brought more units to a battle, they would simply have to wait until a spot opened up, either by a unit being wiped out or routing. Then the new unit would appear at the edge of the map. If you were losing a battle, this wasn't exactly the best tactical situation to be in. I remember one battle in Medieval where I vastly outnumbered my opponent, but he had better troops. My initial army lost against him. He chased my men to the edge of the map where my reinforcement units were coming in in twos and threes as other units fled. Seeing other units fleeing lowered the morale of my new untis, and they were never able to provide a solid front since they were all spread out anyway. So my whole army came in little bits and pieces only to die or rout. It was a crushing defeat, but it never would have happened if I had been able to bring my full army to bear at once.

Rome fixed this problem. In that game (and M2) if I had more units than I could control, they would simply become a new army controlled by the AI, present simultaneously on the battlefield. Same thing for enemy reinforcements. Reinforcements could also be delayed, adding to the drama. I remember one battle in Rome where I had four armies against my opponent's three. It was truly epic in every meaning of the word.

Diplomacy was also improved in Rome.

Barbarian Invasion: Lots of fun. Religion became important in this game, adding a new element. If you want a nice challenge, play as the Western Empire.

Alexander: Didn't play it. This campaign is all about millitary prowess and being severely outnumbered. Since I've already done that in my first playthrough of M2 (as Venice against The World) I see no reason to play this game.

Medieval 2: Plays a lot like Rome. A few things were added. There were now guild houses that you could build in settlements, which could be upgraded for greater benefits depending on whether or not you further the guild's interests. You could also determine whether a settlement was a castle or a city, each having different building and units that were possible. The main improvement over Medieval 1 was in diplocacy, in particular in dealing with the Pope if you were Catholic. It was a lot more complicated.

Kingdoms: This expansion is different in that instead of one large campaign, it has four smaller, specialized campaigns. Each one is quite different. Look them up if you want to, I'm tired from typing this post. The Britannia campaign is basically Viking Invasion all over again.

So, anyway, I would recommend playing them all in order. The series has definitely been getting progressively better. New things are being added that far outweigh the minor things that have been lost from game to game. If you only have time to play one, however, then get Medieval 2 Gold, or wait a month for Empire to come out. (which I must say is looking pretty awesome)

One other thing: If you want the most realistic experience in Rome or M2, set the Campaign difficulty on normal. Very Hard just means that people will attack you and allies will break treaties for no reason.

racofer said:
skyway said:

Then ignore the new ones and stick with the originals.
Huh? You can select unit size in the main menu. And Rome made the jump from 16 controllable units to 20. I think you're full of shit, racofer.

Although I must say, putting the unit size to Huge in M2 requires a good computer. I'm actually worried about what Empire will do to my computer.

Zuikov

Educated
Have you ever tried any of the major mods Dicksmoker?

Major problem in TW games for me is the fact that they become too easy even on harder difficulty levels(where the AI cheats at least in Rome). Mods like Europa Barbarorum and Stainless Steel try to redeem this problem by making the cash flows smaller and quick expansion harder. They also make the games much more historical and complex which is a major plus for me. Just thinking the vanilla factions in RTW like egyptians makes me weep. :(

But yes, you could say that the series has gotten better overall by the years. Maybe Rome was a bit of a letdown at release but it is better now. MTW2 is a great game to start with. Actually there is an active group of modders developing Shogun TW for MTW2 even now(Ran no Jidai) and EB2 is proceeding nicely also the last time I checked.

But by all means it's not a bad idea to try the vanilla versions(maybe with some unofficial fixes if found) of the games first if you're a first timer. I'm just starting to get to the point where I didn't even try the vanilla MTW2 because I know the mods make it a better experience in the end, by judging from my previous experiences with MTW1 and Rome. Doubt I'll be playing Empire until after 2 years or so when the patches/expansions/mods have matured and the thing is complete :p

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Dicksmoker said:
The series has definitely been getting progressively better.
What've been you smokin'? Ahhh, right...

bat_boro said:
Just AI could be better. Nevertheless, worthy recommendation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom