Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I watched an LP on the second.

Some added mechanics like being able to shoot during loud noises like artillery shells and loudspeaker annoucements to hide your shots, having to manage your heartbeat i.e. not be under fire to snipe well, the ability to set up your loadout before each mission plus the very pretty x-ray killcam shots (which also show the deformed bullet tumbling out) but still very much one man army arcadey, your kill count will be well above 300 by the time you're done. Also yes health regen. Also enemies seem to zoom in on your location waaaay too well once you're discovered. The game also differentiates between instantly lethal and vital wounds, which just means for the latter they scream for help and stuffies

Missions are pretty much linear with quest compass (nice devastated WW2 urban zones though, which are all you'll get), the looting is herpderp (oh boy german grunts have more bullets for your american rifle on them than the submachine gun they're using, which is usually 5) and you kill tanks by shooting at their gastank caps

there was a hilarious moment where the guy confused a group of the AI soldiers heading towards him by throwing a rock(which you are supposed to use as distractions, so fair play I guess) out at them from behind cover, then as they stopped and looked down at it he threw an actual grenade. It worked.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
The first was good fun for an hour or two however it's the same thing over and over again and beyond that time frame you'll lose all interest, and it's hardly sniping in the proper sense of the word. Operation Flashpoint is the best 'sniper' game I've played as you're on your belly for a good 40 minutes before you approach your mission objective and the fire fight tends to be over within a minute if you've set yourself up tactically; that doesn't sound like a great advertisement but when played in co-op it's enormous amounts of fun as poocolator and MetalCraze will tell you. On the second Sniper Elite game:

This is an accurate portrayal of the singleplayer campaign:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQq6kFbvrxo

Skip to the end to see the multiplayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkZD5DmfJA

Baron

Arcane
Always wanted to play a good sniper game. I live for the headshot.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
The first one felt like a crappy Hitman rip-off... without most things which made it good. You run around in TPP, do some stuff and shoot bad guys. Sometimes you even get an occasion to snipe someone. The game is pretty schizophrenic. It's neither about being a sniper per se, nor offers anything interesting apart from shooting stuff (which isn't that good to begin with). Stay away from it.

Basically what Ærelian said. You'd be better off by playing Operation Flashpoint or ARMA 2. Also, after seeing a video review of Project IGI (linked on this forum probably), I think it also might interest you. The game seems to have lots of open spaces and sniper rifles, so you could give it a try.

There also was this potato game called Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Don't know how good/bad it is, though.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Also, after seeing a video review of Project IGI (linked on this forum probably), I think it also might interest you. The game seems to have lots of open spaces and sniper rifles, so you could give it a try.
This review? I was thinking of mentioning it myself but didn't after recommending OFP. Play through I.G.I before you play OFP or Arma II as it's less advanced technically/tactically but still a great experience.

R.I.P. Anti-Social FatMan :salute:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played some Sniper Elite on the hardest difficulty, I didn't bother playing the lower ones

Pros:
+ Gravity affects ballistics.
+ So does wind.
+ And heartbeat.
+ Single AI soldiers sometimes manage to outflank the player.
+ Player can use enemy weapons.
+ Missions are alright.
+ It's rather important to stay concealed.
+ The game is quite fun.

Cons:
- Can't destroy light sources like lamps.
- Light doesn't seem to really matter much anyway.
- Bullets do not penetrate objects.
- Can't use surroundings to make camouflage.
- No injuries at all, the player and his enemies are either dead or alive and a shot to a limb doesn't make it unusable. Evident existence of health points.
- You can take quite a few bullets before dying.
- Regenerating health. Get shot a few times, hide, repeat.
- AI doesn't work in groups, they are just a bunch of individuals.
- The game is too action-oriented and it's much easier to kill every single enemy soldier than to sneak past through them.
- Maps are closed and linear.
- Sneak through the whole map, have an AWESOME cutscene, now everbody knows where you are and you must kill them.

Overall it's amediocre action game that doesn't have much in common with an actual combat.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
I've played the third one. I had fun on the more open or semi-open maps while taking a more stealhy approach (I don't know anything about the first and the second installment, but I've read that the stealth aspects in the third one are improved relative to the previous games). I've liked it enough to look forward to SE4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom