Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy So, Supreme Ruler 2020

Heard of this game through a failed LP done in the Playground, aparently by Corporate_Jew_Master. Grand Strategy in the near future seems interesting, like I've said in the EU: Rome thread, I can't play games with high sys-reqs for now, so this one seems ideal.

What are the best mods for this one? Should I go straight mods or play purist at least once?

Play purist. Modding community went dead some time ago, not much interesting stuff accomplished. Like Cold War, it feels very, very unfinished, like an alpha version never to make it into the beta phase.

Problems include:

1. Have to use cheats to speed up passage of days because most shit take half a year to build, which is around 30-20 minutes time at top speed otherwise. Cheat immobilises AI somewhat.
2. Combat has great potential, when done early game. Few units means more space and a more tactical approach. Later on it just becomes a modern zerg grinding against each other while armadas of planes bomb everything. Same with naval combat, only it's bugged.
3. Do I even need to mention the retarded diplomacy AI? Makes the Cold War version simply tedious to play.

Wait for EvW, it's our only hope.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wont repeat after CJM but he has a very good point about speed and things being extremely slow. You cant really play to build up your nation as you wont be able to accomplish anything in reasonable time. It feels like a war game stuck with too many options for it own good...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Another thing is that SR2020 has very poor mod support and doesn't take well to modifications on the fly. The reason this is important is because the game has a fatal bug in it:

Synthetic Oil -> Petrol Power -> Synthetic Oil. Basically, it creates a resource loop that results in the game imploding on itself rapidly when one AI creates its first Synth Oil factory, as the GDP enters into an endless upward spiral that results in exponential tax growth and immigration per month. I've seen reports of this leading to EVERYONE in the world living in one country, which has a GDP so large it breaks the numbers in the engine.

Oh yeah, and what Vaarna said. He really nailed it.

Not to mention that alternative sources of energy (Power-Other factories in the game) get a shitload of bonuses from tech...playing as Northern China I once exceeded production in all sorts of goods and energy after 5 in game years because civic research benefited power growth which benefited industrial growth which launched my trade income to the ceiling of the universe.

Then it's manufacturing improvement --> chinese zerg overrunning everything. Game has very good concepts on both military and financial matters but fails to deliver because of the above. Let Paradox handle it directly, give 'em a few years and it'll be a gem 2 years after release. DLC milking aside, it's always been a fervent wish of mine.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, I view East vs West as the dream-team game, what with seeming to be HoI3 with Vicky 2 features added. Sure, I'd love SR2020 get its modding functionalities fixed (I spend two fucking days trying to disable the goddamn plant or switch the way Synth Oil resource input worked; nothing worked and it didn't help the game has a prepostrously complex cache structure and doesn't support modding saves at all). Not to mention the devs seemed to never hold any interest or concern at all for fixing a VERY SIMPLE bug that still BREAKS THE FUCKING GAME WHENEVER IT STARTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom