Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So ready to review a free2play Steam game: Card Hunter.

SuperSonicGd

Literate
hqdefault.jpg

So there's this game called Card Hunter, and it gets better as you learn the skill curve. (unlike some games that are never good even if you "get good". Not that you should have too but the gaming community is as arrogant as a 80 year old man whose been a lifetime member of the KKK.)

As you can tell from the image(s), this is meant to be a homage to Advanced Dungeons&Dragons with it's artwork, it's terminologies, and even the way the adventure modules look. If by AD&D you mean only specifically tomb of horrors, and in very tightly enclosed maps by a DM who does not know how to draw out dungeon maps.

I would not call this a casual friendly game. In fact most video games arent, but I'm getting ahead of myself... the point is Card Hunter requires a lot more strategy than it does enjoying the customization of building your character's deck and assigning team statuses.

There are three races and three classes. Races include...

Elves: Who gain lots of movement cards. But fragile.
Humans: Lots of team support cards.
Dwarfs: More HP than even warriors on average but slow as fuck.

Than as far as classes you have:
Warriors: Obviously the tank and melee is very useful to quickly dissipate a threat.
Mages: Ranged firepower which you will definitely need.
Clerics; Healers, support casting, and a touch of melee.

hqdefault.jpg

Now I'm not the only one who noticed in this game clerics suck. Which is ironic as in D&D which this is based off of clerics are amazing. The thing is you should be putting down enemies faster than you need to band-aid your team. And if you ARE band-aidding them you're going to lose. However a lack of cleric can waste perfectly good item drops accessible only to them, and you probably won't have an even distribution of good cards for two mages or two warriors. What I found to be a good combination is an elven cleric. Thereby giving him enough movement to avoid certain death, keep healing people from afar, and flank enemies from behind with his mediocre melee weapons. Honestly though I could do the same thing with an elven warrior, however oozes and skeletons will wreck warriors up with their weapon immunities. So rather than literally roll the dice on winning a matchup, it'd be safer to just have a cleric running around keeping a warrior and mage alive to pickoff their particular enemies of interest.

One thing that cannot be denied is the usefulness of a mage. Mages are probably the best class save for their abyssmal HP. Even monster immunities applies to maybe one element, so if you have two or more mages you can theoretically have them focus on different energy types. Even the HP weakness becomes almost negligible if it's a dwarf mage which is exactly what I did. Not only was he lasting longer than the dwarven warrior because he was not in range to get gang-raped, he dishes out more damage being able to just attack anywhere... sometimes. Range is a very very pressing matter in this game and that's my biggest complaint. Literally every card's range of fire is best described as "the developer's dick size". Spells going out a few squares more means jack shit to monsters moving all around the place or hiding safely behind the Trump wall.

As if that was not bad enough, shuffling is rigged. Your cards will tend to be lackluster combinations, the A.I. will have a strong offense and astounding defense. Armor for a player seems almost like a waste of time, but for the A.I. armor cards practically make 50% of attacks zero damage.

All of this, and monsters are not cakewalks. Boss monsters can do some heavy damage, and worse than a slow witted ogre pushing ten damage per attack is a fucking mobs of twelve to fourteen kobold and you're shimmy-shammying around trying not to get cornered and BTFO. Those swarms are not one HP zubats either. Each one is about elven or twelve HP and will take a few solid hits to kill.

So what this tells you is there is no winning strategy. You just press your luck and play smart to win by the skin of your teeth. That's the only victory you'll ever see. I can't tell you how many times I defeated the quest with one party member alive at 1HP. And from the way I describe this you can tell I'm no newbie.

hqdefault.jpg

The designer self inserted his charater not into your GM, but rather his asshole older brother Melvin. I think anyone whose played this game for more than five minutes could figure that out.

Speaking of the designers, apparently one or two of them were some of the original guys behind Magic: The Gathering. You know... back when Magic had great aesthetics but was also grotesquely broken and had no concept of consistent game mechanics or even rareity being relative to power level.

Overall I'm going to rate the game 5/10. Because while I like the artwork, the design choice, and concept... the developers clearly got bullied in school and this is their idea of revenge I guess making unrealistically good A.I, as well it's STILL a free2play game despite all this emphasis on the A.I. like a typical video game. While you don't need to pay a dime if you plan to stick with single player mode, multiplayer is an elitist mob rule of neckbeards who demand only the best out of you bringing powerful team mates to the table to go on even more difficult quests than anything you see on "story mode". You earn items by quest grinding and purchasing chests via "pizza currency". Pizza is nearly impossible to get without payment. You start off with plenty but once that's finished, you peak. You'd think understanding this a lot of players would just endure that poorer and foreign players are not going to come with the most broken card sets especially when many of the drops have drawback cards, but Americans really do expect the lower class to just throw money at everything while a rich game developer can't just...you know... tweak the damn thing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also played some of it.
It seemed fun, though also very repetitive if you don't pay for some extra missions.

In any case, I'd recommend to try it out at least.
You can't really lose much.

Though I agree the community did not seem very friendly as I played. A bit like any DotA clone where you will be harassed if you just want to play without thinking too much about the optimum builds, etc.
Maybe that changed, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved the game, but hated the F2P model requiring you to pay a subscription to get an increased drop rate (nearly doubled). The game even taunt you by showing you the extra items you would have got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom