Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Quake...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I found a flash version and I fucking love the graphics and the atmosphere and the monster design. Too bad I can't play it with music. I heard it was made by Nine Inch Nails.

Anyway, I find the crude, barbaric sculptures of terrain and monsters and the rough textures fascinating. I miss stuff like this when playing later 3D games.
Generally, that period - Quake and Syndicate Wars were my favourite 3D art as they create something unique, have their won graphical style instead of trying to emulate reality and failing.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
haha, I wonder if retro-grittiness will ever be adopted by indies

qOsUp.png

there's a fine line between cartoonish and brutish there

praetor

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I heard it was made by Nine Inch Nails.

it wasn't made by NIN but by Trent Reznor. some may argue that's the same thing, but they'd be wrong

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I found a flash version and I fucking love the graphics and the atmosphere and the monster design. Too bad I can't play it with music. I heard it was made by Nine Inch Nails.

Anyway, I find the crude, barbaric sculptures of terrain and monsters and the rough textures fascinating. I miss stuff like this when playing later 3D games.
Generally, that period - Quake and Syndicate Wars were my favourite 3D art as they create something unique, have their won graphical style instead of trying to emulate reality and failing.
Quake is all about atmosphere to me. Monster design factors into it, so do environments, lovecraftian inspirations (even if bastardized) and so does music - check YT for some tracks.

:salute:

As for rough textures, I can imagine the monsters in non-rough versions crystal clear if I can view them up-close, so they do their job well enough for me - I like them despite being rough, not because of that.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I uploaded an image of my CD for DraQ at some point in the past, so if any of the Steamtards would like to experience the game the way it's meant to be played I'd be happy to share the link (PM only, as I don't want to get into trouble with DU for spreading piracy links. Let's keep the Codex clean of such horrible internet misuses)

DraQ said:
Quake is all about atmosphere to me. Monster design factors into it, so do environments, lovecraftian inspirations (even if bastardized) and so does music
This :salute: though I also find the level design in many places (especially the Romero levels) strongly reinforces the atmosphere.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Quake is all about atmosphere to me. Monster design factors into it, so do environments, lovecraftian inspirations (even if bastardized) and so does music - check YT for some tracks.

:salute:

As for rough textures, I can imagine the monsters in non-rough versions crystal clear if I can view them up-close, so they do their job well enough for me - I like them despite being rough, not because of that.
The thing is that I love the roughness of the textures. That they have visible pixels shown. It's like seeing these big ass traces of paintbrush on these barbaric paintings of Vincent Van Gogh. One of the things that I love about games like Quake or Syndicate wars is how they created interesting textures by using big ass pixels.

sgc_meltdown said:
I doubt it. They'd still need the level of graphical skills that professional graphics guys from the 95+s had.

sgc_meltdown said:
qOsUp.png

Ugh. Texture blur :decline: .

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Glad to see someone else appreciates this. Everyone talks about Quake multiplayer, but I always liked the single player a lot, for the reasons you mentioned, and the "Lovecraftian" theme, but also the level design. So many hidden places and interconnections. It really had a great sense of exploration to it. Nothing like new FPS games. Seriously, every FPS level designer should look at Quake.

sgc_meltdown said:

qOsUp.png

That's GLQuake. Much uglier/less atmospheric than the original.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
nihil said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Glad to see someone else appreciates this. Everyone talks about Quake multiplayer, but I always liked the single player a lot, for the reasons you mentioned, and the "Lovecraftian" theme, but also the level design. So many hidden places and interconnections. It really had a great sense of exploration to it. Nothing like new FPS games. Seriously, every FPS level designer should look at Quake.
Yeah. Levels are quite fun to explore too.

I remember sculpting lots of Quake-style monsters when I was a twelve.

One thing that I don't like is how un-armoured guys can take a shotgun blast to the chest and survive, though.

Renegen

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Does the steam version of the Quakes have the original music?

What is it with always wishing to give Steam money? Quake's source code has been released for free, and while I'm not sure if it means you can download the game, they have the excellent Quake Live available for free.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Renegen said:
Dicksmoker said:
Does the steam version of the Quakes have the original music?

What is it with always wishing to give Steam money? Quake's source code has been released for free, and while I'm not sure if it means you can download the game, they have the excellent Quake Live available for free.
Lol. It wasn't me wishing to give Steam money, it was me wishing to get the games in a convenient manner. And they were on discount.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Quake is still fun to this day, especially when you get a source port to improve the controls and visuals a bit. It's challenging, the weapons are great to use, the level design is fairly open and has some good secrets and puzzles, etc. It's even got one of the scariest levels I've ever played in a shooter near the end of its campaign, this one with hallways that move around, traps, and a fucking freaky ambiance to it. I'd rather play it than almost any other shooter these days, that's for sure.

Peter

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The thing is that I love the roughness of the textures. That they have visible pixels shown. It's like seeing these big ass traces of paintbrush on these barbaric paintings of Vincent Van Gogh. One of the things that I love about games like Quake or Syndicate wars is how they created interesting textures by using big ass pixels.

:bro:

Low-poly with chunky textures is awesome as fuck when done right. As was said in this thread, I wish some hipster indies would opt for that visual style.

Check these out:

http://www.tomtallian.com/

1287153164820.gif
1290438799770.gif
1295013785518.gif

1287155502707.jpg

Sorry for going off-topic :oops:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The funny thing is that all you'd need to do to make that model look nice and "current gen" is to add some tessellation in there. From a modeling perspective, simple is almost always best and will get you great results if you're smart about it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Peter said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

:bro:

Low-poly with chunky textures is awesome as fuck when done right. As was said in this thread, I wish some hipster indies would opt for that visual style.

Check these out:

http://www.tomtallian.com/

1287153164820.gif
1290438799770.gif
1295013785518.gif

1287155502707.jpg

Sorry for going off-topic :oops:
Aww^^

Too bad that it has that it gives that non-serious hipster indie vibe. Both Quake and Syndicate were dead serious.

EDIT:
Aww, it's so cute :love:

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
sea said:
I'd rather play it than almost any other shooter these days, that's for sure.

Yeah. Quake (1) and Doom (1/2) are what I go back and play when I feel for FPS. I'm considering Rage, though. It looks pretty satisfying. After I'm done with Dark Souls. Holy shit, that game is great, by the way.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I RECENTLY FOUND QUAKE AND SOUNDTRACK AROUND THE NET IN VARIOUS PLACES BUT IT TOOK A LITTLE WORK

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
nihil said:
sea said:
I'd rather play it than almost any other shooter these days, that's for sure.

Yeah. Quake (1) and Doom (1/2) are what I go back and play when I feel for FPS. I'm considering Rage, though. It looks pretty satisfying. After I'm done with Dark Souls. Holy shit, that game is great, by the way.

Serious Sam FE/SE and hopefully 3, are pretty good "oldskool" style FPS's. Not as good level design as Quake's 1/2 though.

Destroid

Arcane
That article is yet more evidence that great games are created by luck and coincidence rather than genius.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom