Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So morrowind is kind of overrated I think

It was really streamlined from daggerfall, the dungeons are way too small and have no gameplay variety. It's also really easy to exploit it by doing things like using bound spells to defeat end game enemies at level 1.

The map in it is way too small, the only reason fast travel doesn't exist is because if it didn't have mountains everywhere and it actually had fast travel than it would be way too easy to explore the entire map within a few hours.

The main quest is really very railroaded in it. You are always fighting for the sake of Azura and not for the Tirbunal or the imperials or you can't side with Dagoth Ur.

I believe the sidequests in morrowind are mostly a downgrade from daggerfall's. daggerfall's sidequests are mostly procedualy generated but they have a variety in the busywork you do and they have a sense of randomness that gives it dynamics and allows it to become more replayable. A lot of the sidequests in Morrowind are just press "W" across the map to kill a rat

A lot of people say the main draw to morrowind is the alien setting but it's still very tolkien in it. Giant mushrooms are everywhere in tolkien and the whole concept of dwarves fucking shit up (so in this case lorkhan's heart) is ripped right from tolkien of it.

so in conclusion while morrowind was a fun exploration game it was bad overall for the series and the ambition of it.

ColCol

Arcane
A post only once in a while and you use it to post this bullshit.

Tiospo

Learned
Morrowind is pretty great. The real time dice roll combat is weird at first, but you just have to work with it, not against it. So, while you're new at least, focus on one or two weapon skills and use them. Once you've built up enough money (which doesn't take long) you can just pay to train whatever skills you want.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I don't remember giant mushrooms let alone towers of them. I think someone else came up with those.

Ranarama

Learned
Farmer Maggot's field famously had mushrooms so large they attracted several Telvanni wizard-lords. Or something. It's been a while since I read his books.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How many fucking threads have I seen the last 20 years with some thread title like this? Likely in the hundreds. And never did I give less fucks.

Cael

Arcane
How many fucking threads have I seen the last 20 years with some thread title like this? Likely in the hundreds. And never did I give less fucks.
Shouldn't have given so much away on earlier threads, then :D

Santander02

Arcane
Oblivion was the best Elder Scrolls because level scaling kept the challenge up.

Until you hit level 20 like 1//3 of the way in and the level scalling suddenly stops.

I fully recogonize there are much better RPGs than MW, but I am a huge exp-lorefag so I enjoyed it more than an anythingelsefag would have. It is also better than everything that came out of that franchise since then.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind is overrated, but that doesn't mean it's mediocre, like many seem to think. It's great, but far from masterpiece status.

Morrowind crossbred with Gothic would be a thing to behold.

Okagron

Prophet
rumpelstiltskin mxyzsptlk mthfkndggfl I think
If it was mfkdggrfll, the first post would just be "Morrowind sucks because a npc told me i need to defend myself in the wilderness and that broke my immersion". Because he barely played the game or didn't even played it. Probably looked up that quote on a wiki.

Morrowind is overrated, but that doesn't mean it's mediocre, like many seem to think. It's great, but far from masterpiece status.

Morrowind crossbred with Gothic would be a thing to behold.

So how is it a masterpiece at all? actually the combat withn morrowind is hideous and is barely playable. All of the locations are the same where you get bad loot like scrolls at the end of a small fortress or something.

Morrowind has good exploration, the lore is worth reading for some extra worldbuilding flare - but thankfully generally not required, and the game actually requires you to read and follow instructions to figure out what to do next, sadly a lost quality in most RPGs these days. Combat is bad, conversations are like reading boring wikipedia articles, and there is little C&C. One would think it was the game that they could build up from, but I guess it was already a downward trend from single player MMO Daggerfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom