Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Jade Empire

Alkarl

Learned
I used to own the special edition on xbox, and with it came a dvd documentary "explanation" for Jade Empire. If I remember correctly, it was a game they always wanted to make, an "rpg" version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, full of kung fu, wushu, and a little mushu. This was around the dawn of nu-Bioware when they started moving away from licenses (KoToR, D&D, etc).

I remember Jade Empire being piss easy and pretty short as well. Some areas do have a lot of content, and there is a lot of hidden stuff to puzzle out yourself. All-in-all I'd say it's interesting, I would have liked to see them make more games in the series and improve the gameplay, but I wouldn't trust the Bioware of today with such a task.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I don't know about piss easy, I was led to believe it was an RPG, maybe an ARPG, but not a fucking beat 'em up. Sorry not sorry. You having to be involved in the crap combat is actually the worst part about it.

And then you have sweet checkpoint saves on top of it.

The lore so far is pretty banal but actually not worse than Pillar's or whatever, plus getting XP for reading that shit kind of makes sense. Muh addiction based gameplay.

Alkarl

Learned
If you pick up all the training manuals or w/e that provide stat boosts you're pretty much unstoppable. If I remember correctly, it's also possible to both acquire most and max most fighting styles/weapons and it's often necessary to switch between them depending on the enemy.

I remember struggling a bit with the combat as well before I figured it out. It's been .. 12(?) years since the last time I played it though. I guess this is one of those instances where the phrase "git gud" or "l2p" might be warranted, but really, if you aren't enjoying anything else the game is offering it really isn't worth it.

I found the game to be interesting, but interesting != good. For me, it was enjoyable enough; something different amid the sea of bog-standard medieval fantasy games.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The best thing about Jade Empire is the encounter with the European explorer, voiced by John Cleese. You have to beat the guy in a debate just to be allowed to fight him, and he mocks your retarded Asian culture for being backwards and stupid.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The part where you mow down endless hordes of mooks as Black Whirlwind was hilarious.

KateMicucci

Arcane
The best thing about Jade Empire is the encounter with the European explorer, voiced by John Cleese. You have to beat the guy in a debate just to be allowed to fight him, and he mocks your retarded Asian culture for being backwards and stupid.
The game gets 10x better once you have his gun.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The lore's a bit ridiculous if you know anything about Chinese and Japanese culture. Kinda like watching Red October as a Russian I guess. I mean it's an """Asian""" game made for a Western audience.

not sure I follow, is the setting literally meant to be mythical China? I thought it was kind of like Pillars, Aumauas are faux-Samoans but not actually Samoans.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat it like ten days ago. I struggled a lot with combat in the beginning. I rerolled and played a fast character with the sword you get at the start and it made things much easier. There are some annoying fights, but all in all, you'll do fine once you get some level ups. I didn't block much at first, but it's a life saver later on. Names, mixed Chinese/Japanese mythology and their annoying made up language was a bit cringey. I don't think it's an amazing game, I'd probably put it slightly below KOTOR. I got what I was expected, so I can't say that I was overly impressed or let down. Maybe the environments were a bit boring.

Eriador

Arbiter
I don't know about piss easy, I was led to believe it was an RPG, maybe an ARPG, but not a fucking beat 'em up. Sorry not sorry. You having to be involved in the crap combat is actually the worst part about it.

And then you have sweet checkpoint saves on top of it.

The lore so far is pretty banal but actually not worse than Pillar's or whatever, plus getting XP for reading that shit kind of makes sense. Muh addiction based gameplay.

Put all your Points into Soul, Chi allows you to heal, empowers your attacks and also fuels magic and transformation style, so it's pretty much all you ever need. Take Dawnstar with you and put her in support mode, so that she recharges your Chi. Transformation styles themselves are broken against normal human enemies, since most of them use weapons and demons are immune to weapons for whatever reason.

Game should be easy enough like that. Leaping Tiger is the best starting Martial Art style, since it has great range.

From what I remember there's this electrical attack that stuns and trivializes all of the combat. Yup.

Yeah, Storm Dragon, you can buy it in Tien's Landing. You get an even more OP version in Imperial City called Paralyzing Palm if you are Paragon- I mean, Open Hand.

Later on, you gain Jade Golem transformation, which is basically an I WIN button. That gun you can get from that british guy is hilariously OP as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You could hardly call this game hard.Just get the tiger martial art,the one where you look like wolverine.Also heal with chi and having balanced character is good.Oh an buying all the techniques that gives you passive bonuses is a good idea.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So Chi is good. Noted.

I actually put most points into Mind/ Focus, because I wanted to kind of switch between Martial and Weapon Arts. And speaking of weapons, the staff seems to be pretty lame. Doesn't have good reach at all, especially compared to Tiger Strike.

I figured Tiger Strike would be powerful just from the description, but without enough Chi to actually use Chi strikes I guess it's not as good as it could be. Even with putting most of my points into Mind, Focus mode drains points too quickly to take out more than one enemy before it runs out, especially if they decide to block like a bitch.

I'm not gonna use transformations as that kinda doesn't go with the concept I have in mind for this character, and just for the off chance that I'll ever play another character (say, a mage). Most of my games I simply start over with another character halfway through anyway.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Tried replaying it recently, the controls made me want to kill myself.

Eriador

Arbiter
So Chi is good. Noted.

I actually put most points into Mind/ Focus, because I wanted to kind of switch between Martial and Weapon Arts. And speaking of weapons, the staff seems to be pretty lame. Doesn't have good reach at all, especially compared to Tiger Strike.

I figured Tiger Strike would be powerful just from the description, but without enough Chi to actually use Chi strikes I guess it's not as good as it could be. Even with putting most of my points into Mind, Focus mode drains points too quickly to take out more than one enemy before it runs out, especially if they decide to block like a bitch.

I'm not gonna use transformations as that kinda doesn't go with the concept I have in mind for this character, and just for the off chance that I'll ever play another character (say, a mage). Most of my games I simply start over with another character halfway through anyway.

In my experience Focus mode sucks, or atleast it's not good enough to bother with it, just put enough points into mind to have decent pool for weapon attacks, then get as much Soul as you can.

Body should be good enough from all of those passive techniques you pick up and you can heal yourself with Chi anyway, so you just need enough health to avoid being one-shot.

The best weapon style (well, second best, after the gun) is a double saber style you can win at the arena in the Imperial City, but you only get it by playing a good guy (which is a running theme in this game).

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Demons are immune to weapons so its better to use Tiger style and put most of points in mind which raises chi; game is hilarious when playing as renegade closed fist and you get the threesome too so game is piss easy, cheesy (As John Cheese) and fun the way nue Bioware would not be able to pull those days when its all about muh SJW and console players for them. Better than Kotor but still below DaO in Commissar opinion.

Alkarl

Learned
If I remember correctly, it's also possible to acquire most of the alignment restricted fighting styles since the game throws enough opportunities to modify alignment at you. I think in my last playthrough, I was open fist (or w/e) until a certain point then flipped to closed to gain a few styles/manuals then flopped back to open. The vast majority of quest rewards favor good alignment though. Another piece of advice would be to save all the weird items you get, ex. a cows(oxes?) bezoar. The game does have a psuedo crafting element sort of like Baldur's Gate 2 (except not as cool).

Eriador

Arbiter
I remember ending up forever alone the first time through, since I forgot to talk to my companions once.

The second time, I got to romance both Dawn Star and Silk Fox, which was pretty hilarious.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Actually it's possible to turn both Dawn Star & Silk Fox to the dark side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom