Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So. Jade Empire.

Severian Silk

I am interested in this game's setting too, since I took a few Chinese language/history courses during my first attempt at college, and am a big fan of period films. But I am not expecting much from a bunch of Canadians to get the setting right. Meh.

Ironically, I played Prince of Qin and did not like it.

I hated ME1 and KOTOR1 by the way. The Baldurs Gates were okay.

Severian Silk

I did not like the combat at all, and the story had a lot of talking (walls of cheesy text) but I don't remember the talking mattering much. It just felt too much like a static theme park as opposed to a living, breathing organic world.

Last edited by a moderator:

baturinsky

Arcane
I am interested in this game's setting too, since I took a few Chinese language/history courses during my first attempt at college, and am a big fan of period films. But I am not expecting much from a bunch of Canadians to get the setting right. Meh.

Ironically, I played Prince of Qin and did not like it.

I hated ME1 and KOTOR1 by the way. The Baldurs Gates were okay.

If you want something authentically Chinese, try Dynasty Warriors. It's even more cheesy, but it's authentically cheesy, because it's based on 3rd century Chinese self-insertion fanfiction.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Jade Empire wasn't a commercial success"

Not quite true. It made money and sold between 1.,5 and 2mil within the first year. The issue ius that compared to other BIO games it simply did not sell as well since most BIO games tend to sell over 2 mil minimum easily so comapriatively speaking it wa sa ailure but it isn't like it was losing money.

But, if you are used to making 10mil but only make 5mil... that is a definite disappointment.

pippin

Jade Empire didn't needed to be a commercial success. KOTOR left them with so much money they could take their time developing the games they were doing, and had a backup so if a game didn't do as well as they hoped it could then it wasn't a problem. This is partly why DAO took so much time to develop.

A couple of years later they were bought by EA.

J1M

Arcane
Jade Empire's combat is basically Rock/Paper/Scissors repeated every six seconds. Terrible.

Also, asia-land mythology isn't interesting enough to support an entire game. See also: WoW's Mists of Pandaria.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I really enjoyed it. Game is shit, writing is meh, the setting is unique and interesting if you're into chinaman shit. Better with controllers, but modern controllers don't work great with it.

The best way to enjoy it tho is this:

Start it up, smoke a blunt, turn off the soundtrack, put on some Wu and run around being a giant dick to everyone.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The best way to enjoy it tho is this:

Start it up, smoke a blunt, turn off the soundtrack, put on some Wu and run around being a giant dick to everyone.

That's literally the best way to play any post NWN bioware game.

Ash

Arcane
Id rather play ten animu-style JRPGs selected at random than sit through another Bioware game.

...in all honesty it's not terrible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and I'm someone who takes notable interest in the setting.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I really enjoyed Jade Empire, it wasn't an awesome game but it was both fun and entertaining. I found the setting unique and interesting, and Nathan Fillion voices one of the characters.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Playing a kung-fu chick and having a threesome with two other kung-fu chicks is the best thing about it, though you need this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/jadeempire/mods/5/?

Systems-wise it's garbage - there is no point in putting points into the techniques you learn later. Pick the starting fast style and pump it up, solves 90% of encounters, the remaining 10% requiring the use of a weapon. Though you get so many points that by the end you can have a dozen fully upgraded techniques - which you never use.

World-wise it's pretty garbage as well because it only superficially uses Chinese mythology. Villages and towns are just as poorly done as in Kotor and NWN. There is very little exploration.

John Cleese cameo is pretty funny.

Plot is usual Bioware stuff, you've seen it before.

And they didn't bother to upgrade the cutscenes for the PC version, despite improving the resolution, so you get to enjoy absolute shit looking videos that can't be skipped.

Last edited:
Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom laughs at your silly dance bullshit and shoots you in the face. Meanwhile the Black Whirlwind leaves to the East and somehow comes back from the West, heralded by waves of foreigners missing limbs. 10/10.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If you think that mobile is, after consoles, the next logical step for BioWare games - Jade Empire is coming to iOS "soon".

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Hah that's really happening. Nothing like porting a 10 13 year old game to really push the iOS to its limits.

Beastro

Arcane
The twist is a nice one on typical RPG tropes, but it's undermined by the fact that game keeps going on in the typical manner afterwards.

Game would have been far better and memorable if the game had just ended after it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom