Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment So is Tides of Numenera actually worth a damn?

Silva

Arcane
I guess it depends on what you like... The setting is relatively interesting and some gameplay mechanics are "innovative"...
But the game is filled to the brim with text and lacks action to the point that there are about 10 combat sequences in total and they are even kind of "skippable". When I say filled to the brim with text, I mean it. If you can't stand a lot of reading, there's no point in playing T:TON
Shit, another Shadowrun Hong Kong then. Why people create games for being read instead of played? I don't understand.

Sizzle

Arcane
Underwhelming in almost every way and a huge missed opportunity that will, unfortunately, only serve as a setback and deterrent for future games such as this.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I guess it depends on what you like... The setting is relatively interesting and some gameplay mechanics are "innovative"...
But the game is filled to the brim with text and lacks action to the point that there are about 10 combat sequences in total and they are even kind of "skippable". When I say filled to the brim with text, I mean it. If you can't stand a lot of reading, there's no point in playing T:TON
Shit, another Shadowrun Hong Kong then. Why people create games for being read instead of played? I don't understand.
Reading is the art of the intelligence! If you want gameplay go play Skyrim and Battlefront 2,i hear that there is a lot of playing in those games.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Reading is the art of the intelligence! If you want gameplay go play Skyrim and Battlefront 2,i hear that there is a lot of playing in those games.
Timeless classic RPGs had great writing AND bearable gameplay. Arcanum, F2, KOTOR 2, BG2, MOTB, Gothic2, W8, Deus Ex, VTMB. Even this year we had some decent games like Elex, expeditions viking, DOS2. TTON however combines pretty mediocre, pretensions writing (Except for the Bloom) with God awful, tedious, simplistic combat. Do you remember escape from the cast off sanctuary?? Jesus Christ it lasted like 30 mins or something.

Silva

Arcane
I don't remember Arcanum having such boring sleep-inducing walls of text as seen in biowarian desecendents like NU Shadowrun, but I can be wrong. Maybe Arcanum has such a good exploration gameplay (in parts) or simply to the point dialogue with so much C&C that I didn't feel the boredom. Idem for Gothic and Deus Ex.

Damn, I've played that russian plague simulation (what its name? the one that is getting a remake) and while it's full of dialogue, it never bored me. Nor felt like a book in electronic form like NU Shadowrun feels.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought the writing in Numenera was less taxing than in Torment. The game is pretty short though - took me <25 hours to do just about every quest and read all that troublesome text.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Only if you have played everything else. The most correct word for the game is "mediocre". It is not bad game,just i don't remember anything from it. So in short...no!
i wish i had your memory.
i remember a lot of rape. professionally organized rape. carefully planed and executed. they hurt the genre. they hurt the name. humiliated every one who believed PS:T would get a successor. and all that with a smug grin.
right off the bat, the game featured nothing but boring generic human companions. a mistake not even PoE made.
and then there were no mechanics. a party based, turn based game with absolutely no depth to combat mechanics. like playing chess only with 3 vs 3 pawns and nothing else.
there was also no itemization. no equipment slots. also no use for either since the game had no combat.
there were voice overs, but there was no voice. the "game" had nothing to say. the "writers" had nothing to write about. so they just described and embellished what the graphics team had implemented. pretty sure that was their actual process.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only if you have played everything else. The most correct word for the game is "mediocre". It is not bad game,just i don't remember anything from it. So in short...no!
i remember a lot of rape. professionally organized rape. carefully planed and executed. they hurt the genre. they hurt the name. humiliated every one who believed PS:T would get a successor. and all that with a smug grin.
right off the bat, the game featured nothing but boring generic human companions. a mistake not even PoE made.
and then there were no mechanics. a party based, turn based game with absolutely no depth to combat mechanics. like playing chess only with 3 vs 3 pawns and nothing else.
there was also no itemization. no equipment slots. also no use for either since the game had no combat.
there were voice overs, but there was no voice. the "game" had nothing to say. the "writers" had nothing to write about. so they just described and embellished what the graphics team had implemented. pretty sure that was their actual process.
It is not about memory,i still remember the stories from warcraft and starcraft books from 15 years ago. I have good memory for good stories. But this thing needed actual concretion to read it,it felt like work and that is why it was going to the short term memory.It is impressive game in its own right.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
It is not about memory,i still remember the stories from warcraft and starcraft books from 15 years ago. I have good memory for good stories. But this thing needed actual concretion to read it,it felt like work and that is why it was going to the short term memory.It is impressive con in its own right.
ftfy

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes it is great.

Now please buy my unopened collectors edition for $200?

It was such a glorious dream, wasntit? The future seemed so bright...
:negative:
Behind the brightest stars there is the darkest silhouette of Cthulhu.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment Comrade and :incline: is a delusion of the weak.
True Comrade! Strong people take the suffering and make it their own weapon :) .

if you like reactivity in a game you will find it here. It is shorter then Pillars of Eternity but that's a good thing. You can start a new play to see different things. Sure, it could have been much better, but that doesn't mean you should not at least try it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you like to play as bald transgendered multi ethnic set in 2017 50 000 000 AD this is game for you. Seriously it was Nue Bioware level bad as reading shity novel level goes, devoided of any game elements except 10 combats which was even more basic than combat in Iphone port like Shadowrun and more so rage inducing after playing California part of WL2 to boot which showed that In exile could make fun and interesting GAMES if they did not put 2/3 of kick-starter budget of Nuenemuna onto Wasteland 2 enhanced edition in hope of making moolah from console players.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
I've never been so disappointed by a video game novel, its the reason I joined the hivemind, I needed a place to bitch and moan and confirm I'm still relatively sane, yet everywhere else I looked people were praising it for its writing and world building - the very things I hated the most about it. Its dull, its unimaginative and it horribly written, there's some parts I've enjoyed like Erritis, Rhin and Infere character arcs but its not worth the effort of burrowing through the shit pile that is the rest of the game.

The game is nothing but walls of boring, adjectival descriptive prose that tries too hard and betrays the writers' lack of talent, lack of editing efforts, or both. Some gameplay elements are interesting conceptually, but they don't outlive their novelty and ultimately serve no purpose.

It's a hot air balloon that never gets off the ground. Wouldn't say the time investment is worth it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Behold my latest masterpiece!
607.jpg

I just wish there was a mod that cut most of the writing first, and refined the left-over writing second, to be able to experience a decent game.

But no one released one yet. Is it because the game is impossible to mod?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
But no one released one yet. Is it because the game is impossible to mod?

It's because the game didn't sell widely enough to develop a real modding community, and because those who did stick with it liked the writing.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Too much text, and unlike PS:T the text exist for the sake of text. Reducing word count by 2/3 would make it bearable, maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom