Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm trying out NWN

This game is ingenious. In what other game I'd make a Barbarian with maxed STR, CON and 12 dex (Heavy Armour feat since the feats are p. crap) and minimum everything else, skill points go just to Tumble (+1 ac every now and then) and Spellcraft (+1 to spell saves every now and then) and the rest don't matter so why not Discipline, even while it doesn't usually work and some item that prevents knockdown is probably better? I can't believe how much the skills suck in this game. At first I was playing a rogue, dumb as I was to not think of that this game doesn't have a party and 90% of the enemies are undead... Well at least I got skills that do... what? Just fuck it.

You don't need such things as lockpick because you can bash everything with Power Attack and there's no downside to doing that. You don't need dialogue skills because mostly you just get something like +50 gp. Need no lore because you'll be so damn rich you can just identify with money. You don't need Heal since you get 1000 potions anyway and can rest so often. Just the skills that give some combat ability, that is Tumble and Spellcraft. There are no alternate ways to finish any of the quests, it's all just kill kill kill... So best have the best combat character you can make. Also what's with the retarded idea that you get less XP if you summon your wizard familiar or some such? Bioware sure seems to love these oddly retarded systems.

One thing I will give credit for is dumb dialogue for having int 8. It's sort of funny that the conversations go along the lines "Oh my god what a moron, you're so stupid" "You maybe smart, but you die now". Why the hell would some wimp insult some massive killer like that? Heh. I like that you can stab people mid-dialogue. That's what RPG's are about.

Why the fuck are there so many chests and barrels with random loot? Oh my lord. Why not have 50 chests around the streets, sure couldn't have the loot in one chest, better have a barrel with bracers of armor +1 (there's a whore begging for gold. Why isn't she looting the barrels for the 1000 gp items?). It's such a fucking chore.

The engine isn't nearly as bad as I remembered, it's much more pleasant to play than NWN2. Though the radial menus are an invention of the Devil. But otherwise it seems pretty crisp. But then... Why is this 3d? It doesn't use it for any game purpose. It's just basically a 2D game with polygons and the problem that comes from having a rotating camera, I.E. that you can't always see what you need to see and that it's hard to tell where's north (at least for me) and thus, hard to tell where you are going. Doesn't help that everything looks the same.

So anyway. I beat it and all I can say is, have a fucking party and if you're going to have skills, use them for fucking something. Oh and for the love of god, let the player control the only fucking party member you get, it's not funny how the dumb bitch runs in the middle of a bunch of skeletons, then casts some stupid spell FOR FUCKS SAKE TURN THEM YOU'RE A CLERIC and gets 7 attack of opportunities in the face, then, near death, casts a healing spell on herself and dies to the AOO's. You don't have a party. You get one hireling with you, who is completely useless.

I bought this game when it was released, and quit it very quickly, because the weird 3D style and the lack of party were just too much. I hadn't even played either BG a lot then, after all there were a lot of better games to play. These days... I just want to play some fantasy adventure style game and I'm not fucking touching that DA shit and what not we get. A good thing we started a PnP Eberron campaign, so I get my fantasy fill from a not completely retarded source. Bah. And there are people who complain EA ruined Bioware. Yeah I don't think so, the ruin was there all along.

/rant

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wow, and it only took you 10 years to figure it out.

Have you heard of this game called Akalabeth: World of Doom? It was just released for the Apple II.

Kitako

Arcane
NWN OC is shit! Quick, call the press!

Seriously, don't even waste time on that piece of shit. Play Hordes of the Underdark or pick something from NWVault Hall of Fame

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I managed to beat NWN OC with a Sorcerer with just one level of Fighter (to keep me alive at low levels, and so I could use a good melee weapon for dispatching trash mobs).

It's only at the end that the fights became tough enough that I started feeling fragile and had to start spamming spells.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The NWN OC was trash (I don't think they even planned on having one, and just whipped it off in a couple months before release), but there are a lot of good modules. Some of them even manage to overcome the terrible follower AI.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I got halfway or something, collecting two of the 4 starmap pieces(oops wrong game, same schematic) but that 'wilderness' area with those ziggurat's that were supposed to be hills really broke what little spirit I had for the game. I usually can stomach shitty games with shitty settings; hell I actually enjoyed Betrayal at Antara; but this game was the first(until Arcania) where I had to consciously force myself to go on in the hope that maybe it gets better.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
captain obvious at its best :deadhorse:
nwn is all about the toolset.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Some half decent moments in NWN OC. I may be wrong, since I last played it 8 years ago. And I did so only once.

Either way:

- Charwood city, where everyone is in amnesia

- The barbarian siege, where the barbarians seem to be bloody savages, but turn out to be victims of smallpox infected blankets who were taking revenge. You have the choice to join their siege rather than fight them back.

- Puzzle whose solution turned out to be committing suicide. You were taken to animal heaven, where you had to hunt down an animal, take some object from him, and come back to life.

- Time travel based puzzles, where some objects were in the ancient past and some objects were in the present

Edwin

Scholar
all I remember about this game is that it was fucking ugly,shallow,shit and there was some kind of plague too

I remember only 1 companion the little rat kobold dekkoon or daakon or what,he was bearable.Oh and it was fuckin pro when I got my wings as red dragon disciple(not like in NWN2).I finish all kind of shit games btw but a few years later I cant recall shit...1 thing is sure,I know that I dont want to touch this game again

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, everyone's already said it, but the only good thing about NWN is the mods.

I've heard people say the expansions were okay, but after playing the OC, I wasn't exactly encouraged to give them a try.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some half decent moments in NWN OC. I may be wrong, since I last played it 8 years ago. And I did so only once.

Either way:

- Charwood city, where everyone is in amnesia

- The barbarian siege, where the barbarians seem to be bloody savages, but turn out to be victims of smallpox infected blankets who were taking revenge. You have the choice to join their siege rather than fight them back.

- Puzzle whose solution turned out to be committing suicide. You were taken to animal heaven, where you had to hunt down an animal, take some object from him, and come back to life.

- Time travel based puzzles, where some objects were in the ancient past and some objects were in the present

1) It's a bit more than just amnesia. They're tortured phantasms.
2) You can't really join the barbarians, just pacify them.
3) "Animal heaven", lol. That was some kind of forest spirit realm. That entire sequence was heavily inspired by the plot of Princess Mononoke.
4) You got this one right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, everyone's already said it, but the only good thing about NWN is the mods.

I've heard people say the expansions were okay, but after playing the OC, I wasn't exactly encouraged to give them a try.

Thing is, you need the expansions to play the newest/most advanced mods, anyway. So why not give their campaigns a try while you're at it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

My sentiments exactly. The base game overwhelmed me with its shittiness so much that i could never be bothered to try the expansions. It's actually one of the worst games I ever played. NWN 2 isn't much better while we're at it.

Baron

Arcane
Like Semper said, NWN is about the toolset. Damned if I wanted to play AD&D looking for some chicken feather in a prison to cure poor people.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
NWN is a well of oldschool goodness compared to modern Bioware games.

Yeah, I can understand people back in 2002 saying "Fuck it, this game sucked, not getting the expansions." Good for you, exercising your power as a consumer. Even if you did miss out on two pretty nice campaigns.

But now? A decade later, after an RPG drought of years? I'd have expected most people here to have gotten their hands on the Diamond Edition for 5 bucks and tried them out.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I admit that I could never get past the first act. The game is so fucking boring, grindy and uninspired that it's painful. I always come back to it every year or two thinking "well, maybe I'll play a bit and see how it goes, it can't be that bad." Just, no. Fuck, this game is awful. There are almost no redeeming qualities except for maybe the low-intelligence dialogue and the interface (which is actually really good).

It's not even the bad quest design that kills it, it's that it's a game that is literally 90% filler. Oh, run around some random corridors with traps and undead every 20 feet for 5 hours, then get to a plot NPC that I couldn't give less of a shit about, then repeat. I could put up with the "kill everything" design if killing things actually had some meaning, but that is literally all you do the entire game, and since everything autoattacks and you have no party, most of combat consists of just waiting for things to fall over while you occasionally press the potion button. I assume the campaign was intended to be played multiplayer but that isn't an excuse for how mind-numbingly awful it is.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's not even the bad quest design that kills it, it's that it's a game that is literally 90% filler. Oh, run around some random corridors with traps and undead every 20 feet for 5 hours, then get to a plot NPC that I couldn't give less of a shit about, then repeat. I could put up with the "kill everything" design if killing things actually had some meaning, but that is literally all you do the entire game, and since everything autoattacks and you have no party, most of combat consists of just waiting for things to fall over while you occasionally press the potion button. I assume the campaign was intended to be played multiplayer but that isn't an excuse for how mind-numbingly awful it is.
Sounds like every other post-BG BioWare RPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sounds like every other post-BG BioWare RPG.

EDGY! No, NWN1 OC has even more filler. For some reason they thought chestfuls of random treasure every five meters was a good idea.

The expansions of course didn't do this.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH THIEVES TOOLS YET? DO YOU? HERE, TAKE SOME MORE

Edwin

Scholar
oh and 1 more thing,I remember that the first expansion was so short that I thought that it was some kind of side quest

racofer

Thread Incliner
Cjgqn.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That image of Aribeth isn't fanart, I think. It's official.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom