Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I'm playing thru BG1 for the first time these past few days and...

Doktor Best

Arcane
So youre cheating the fuck outta the game by reallocating npc stats making them a much better help than theyre used to be, even changing your weapon profiencies according to the loot you find, and reroll 250 times stats to create aryan superdude mc awesomesauce, and now you come here and complain the game is too easy?

:mrpresident:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've never found the spider areas (Red Wizard area and that one Cloakwood area) challenging. Once or twice I might have to reload if I forgot where a web trap is and got unlucky on the saves [and that would be because I reload if a character dies rather than go to the temple].

dude i've watched most of ur videos and your Micro Powerz are fucking ridiculous. it isn't actually as easy as you think it is :)

though i also have not had any trouble in bg. sometimes my chars die and have to reload tho because i'm still in poe mode and using ranks and trying to not move much kekekeke

never for a second even think that you are on the same level of micro as "average" players. *I* am an average player, and even watching click through menus like it was a fucking speed run was eye-opening. i don't watch RTS matches or whatever so i don't see much of the fabled "micro". it was... somewhat impressive.

btw, your keyboard sounds like a mechanical one? very satisfying sound on that spacebar!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So youre cheating the fuck outta the game by reallocating npc stats making them a much better help than theyre used to be, even changing your weapon profiencies according to the loot you find, and reroll 250 times stats to create aryan superdude mc awesomesauce, and now you come here and complain the game is too easy?

:mrpresident:

yep. it is the true codex way. after i finish it 6 more times i can make another thread about how bad it is too. :salute:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
This thread took a rather interesting turn...
tumblr_m3qwd6bFwR1r29ypmo3_500.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
haha oh wow

this was before i discovered dungeon crawlers.

oh man... i'm never going to play an rpg that's not a crawler ever again :D :D :D

Mustawd

Yeah, BG series is pretty garbage tactics-wise. I never finished either one of them due to sheer boredom. I'll revisit them at some point later, but mainly to at least say I finished it.

hell bovine

Arcane
Which is why most people play it modded. I would have never finished BG2, if not for Ascension (and also Tactics, though it got toned down in the later versions). And I wouldn't play BG1 without SCS installed, it's like two different games.

I am actually re-playing BG2 atm (albeit very slowly), because I want to see how Ascension works with SCS scripting on top of it. :)

I've been playing BG1 or a while now. Got it on GoG, so it has TOTSC. I'm now in the seventh chapter. The way I've been playing is I only load a savegame more than once if my main character dies, if I forget to save, if I can't complete the game and in the special event I deem it necessary. So far, I've only reloaded in the latter case once. So this means i've played through many losses and ill consequences. It has been HARD at times. I've permanelty lost several party members. I've been angry I'll admit. I believe the game would be a lot more enjoyable if I hadn't held strictly to this rule. It's too stressful I think. I also think it probably wasn't designed to be played this way, even though "raise dead" and various different ways of resolving quests are available. BG1--played this way--is the most difficult RPG experience I've had in recent memory.

There're various things in BG1 which're to no end irritating and/or frustrating and I think--to some extent--this has earned many scathing condemnations from its players--though they themselves misplace the cause of the effect. It's really all in the details. It's like how when we're angry we tend to attack random things and can cause further unpredictable problems. These're things we forget to say or write down--I keep a journal btw. Often when I'm playing I'll find something subtle and think "Gee, that's sure irritating." It almost never gets into my journal entries because it's so subtle. Off the top of my mind, an example might be how difficult it's sometimes to know what you need before a fight. For example, a mage might cast a lightning spell--something you've not encountered before--and one of your members is permanently killed. Now, this can be solved with a potion of magic protection, but they're spendy and you might not even have any yet. You might alos not have one on that party member, meaning you have to go into the inventory. Anytime you go into inventory, time passes. Many ill things can happen when you're in your inventory. Anyway......

Some people in these forums say BG1 has no tactics and that's not true. I've used many tactics to survive. Fireball is my most popular tool--as well as using a tank member who has the boots of speed. But there're many other things you can do. In one fight I easily could have lost members of my party, including my main, but he just happened to have a wand of paralyzation. That wand saved the group. I do consider that tactical in nature, as the enemy I paralyzed was particularly dangerous. I also have used many pulling techniques over time, some with productive results. I really can't list all the many encounters I've had and the ways I squeezed a win.

But are there more tatical RPGs? Yes. I think JA2 beats it easily enough. But I thinik BG1 beats FA1, even with its hand tied behind its back BG1. It also has more content--from what I can see. I've not yet run out of things to do in BG1.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The hardest thing about BG1 is enemy mages spamming confusion. Not even sure if they do that without SCS though. Other than that its just about keeping your party equipped and not hording potions/wands/gold.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's a world of difference between the original unpatched BG1 where monsters didn't even have "call for help" scripts, and the SCS versions where the Red Wizards of Thay will kill the party within seconds if you don't know what you are doing.

jaydee2k

Savant
The first playthrough has to be vanilla. Modding and tweaking everything from the very start gives you a very very different experience...
And stay AWAY from that Beamdog turd of an edition :argh:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Just find an ass-old physical edition for sale and go for it. Avoid anything Beamdog.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
There are multiple difficulties including Story Time Mode, I suggest if it's too easy for you that you bump it up to easy or normal.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
mfw watching average Codexers discuss their babby-tier tactics and understanding of these games.

#justscs&tacticsveteranthings

jdbOD0M.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BG1 is fine in the sense that Bioware didn't have the crazy idea in their heads that they could write, so you don't have cringe-inducing obnoxious dialogues and it's simply a straight-up adventure. Yeah, the forests get tedious to explore after a while, but after the first time you learn to avoid endless wandering as you know where the good stuff is. The dungeons have retarded layouts as well, those tight corridors are annoying to no end, Thieves' Maze in particular is not only badly designed, but pointless and nonsensical. BG1 isn't bad is what I'm hinting at though, you just have to know what you are getting yourself into. It has a sort of detached, impersonal feeling to it which I find curious. It's also cool to play with an evil party, they are all crazy overpowered compared to the goody-two-shoes. SCS is a must. The biggest problem with BG1 is that it's not structured and the pacing is all over the place. It needs more meaty quests to kinda glue itself together, otherwise it's just vast swaths of doing shitty tasks for random people until you exhaust them and start doing the main one where things pick up again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom