Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus So I'm playing SMT: Nocturne

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Nocturne is one of the best games ever. It shares a lot of the same base combat mechanics with Strange Journey but it's got something called the press turn system which makes it different from and a million times better than pretty much every other battle system. Every character gets 1 turn in combat to do an action. If you defend, it uses up half a turn, meaning someone may be able to go twice. If you get a critical hit or hit an enemy's weakness, you also only use up half a turn. The system encourages you to know as much as you can about your enemies and build teams around their weaknesses, so you never stay with the same teams and strategies for long.

The story is sparse but enjoyable. You're one of the last few humans and you have to rebuild the world in your image. Throughout the game you're given choices that guide the world towards the path you want it to take. The story is never intrusive and never much more than "go here, do this", but the atmosphere is great and the world is always very cool.

Nocturne is THE SMT game. It's $10. Get it.

If the plot of Strange Journey really bothered you, Nocturne is kind of similar (Good vs. Evil/Order vs. Chaos) but much more low-key and with more other stuff going on in the background. It's about as linear but more character-driven linear in an open world than the plot AI that informs you of the next dungeon's name and teleports you there of Strange Journey.

Fusion is pretty similar, though it could probably be considered more forgiving. If you want a specific demon you'll still probably need to look up a fusion guide, but getting a good skillset isn't that hard.

Combat is a *lot* better due to press-turn, as cboyardee states. It's hard to explain all the nice effects it has on strategy and party customization, but it's a really flexible and fun system that ensures fights aren't about having every party member spam the same abilities over and over.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game is soooo good, the fusion system is one of the best I have ever played for customizing my party. I played twice in a row to get the "true demon" ending and it was fucking epic
Getting Demons with the absorb health ability was key and having demons like the ghost rider who can attack multiple opponents makes the replays super fast to check out all the endings

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Fucking JRPG-faggot, go play good games, like Grimoire, which are much better in every way because [no reasons given.]"

:roll:

cruel

Cipher
I'm playing this on PS3 right now, didn't want to waste 2h looking for a Bill, so was looking where to get it. I've opened this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWp4zevK8Jo

And WTF - this looks amazingly good, much better than what I have on PS3. I'm reading comments and I see that the guy uses PCSX2 emulator. Is anybody aware which specific settings / plugins need to be in place to get same quality as this?

I've tried increasing resolution to Full HD but I'm not getting same effect as he.

cruel

Cipher
OK, nvm, found it. Easy change - Config>Video (GS)>Plugin Setting. Game looks fantastic with Full HD, even in 2018.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
When someone plays something on a dead console instead of emulating it with 10x better graphics in the year of our lord 2018...

cruel

Cipher
Yeah, if I only knew. I was expecting a lot of bugs, crashing, configuration issues etc - would never expect this to run so well.

And probably i made the same mistake with Dragon Quest 7, playing this on 3DS instead of emulating ps2 version. Oh well...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom