Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review So Hyped, So Mediocre: The Bard's Tale Review

made

Arcane
I appreciate these in-depth reviews on the Codex, rare as they are.

The game still remains on my to-play list, however, just out of curiosity.

Seboss

Liturgist
I thought the game was rather entertaining and I had quite a good laugh now and then.
English is my 2nd language so maybe I'm more forgiving with the 'in your face' and self-aware jokes of the game.
I agree that the game itself is a mediocre action romp but despite of that I felt the urge to go on to see the next joke/cliché.
It's not as bad as this review claims it is IMO.

Note that I played it on the XBox and got it for $5 or something.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
So you agree that it is mediocre but do not agree with my claim that it is mediocre? The Force is flipflopping in this one :)

I was hoping the humor at least managed to aleviate some of the boredom but it's definitely not worth it to slog through samey levels and hack samey enemies for long periods of time just to see the next attempt at humor, especially when said humor is just a sarcastic remark about some cliche you have to play through anyway. If every other cliche that came along the way provided some twist on the genre then I believe it wouldn't be as bad, but the only difference between this game and others of its kind is that the Bard will break the fourth wall just to let you know he knows how and why it's a cliche - yet you still have to play through it.

And that's not really turning RPG cliches on their heads.

Texas Red

Whiner
Correct me if Im wrong but didnt Brian Fargo, founder of Interplay, leave the company when it was clear that it was screwed? Only to find a new company, Inxile, which, despite Interplays death due to its mainstream policies, continues the legacy of Interplay by making a shitty action crawl for consoles as their first order of business.

taxacaria

Scholar
Amasius said:
Good review for a bad game. Played it last year for two hours or so and never touched it again. You obviously put more effort in the review than this piece of crap is worth.

What Amasius said.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Return to Krondor? Never got around to playing that or Betrayal at Antara even though I own both of them and enjoyed Betrayal at Krondor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom