Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN So how do you really feel about Neverwinter Nights 1?

Which NWN campaigns did you like?

• Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Shadows of Undrentide

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Hordes of the Underdark

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Kingmaker (and/or other premium modules)

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

Delterius

Arcane
A terrible engine that houses a staggering amount of content that is appreciated for its chatrooms and CYOA paths.
Is the Aurora engine actually shit? In the little bit I've worked with it, it doesn't seem too bad, though the most I've done is a test module or two toying with dialogue and creating items/critters and such.
You can do amazing stuff even with WC3's World Edit. There are some 'maps' in there that are actually 20 hour long RPGs.

However, to actually play Neverwinter Nights is an exercise in frustration and limitation with horrible circular menus, awkward interactions, lack of battlelines and and the absence of true party members.

Literally everything made for NwN1 and 2 was better off as a text adventure. And the best regarded modules mostly already are.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There actually are visual novels you can buy on Steam that are updated versions of NWN mods. :M

Lhynn

Arcane
There actually are visual novels you can buy on Steam that are updated versions of NWN mods. :M
I remember this crazy lady wanting to kickstart her own game based on her nwn module. Man, what a flop.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember this crazy lady wanting to kickstart her own game based on her nwn module. Man, what a flop.

You're likely referring to the same thing I am and guess what it happened http://steamspy.com/app/578900

That's downright decent for a $20 VN. A roaring success compared to Panic at Multiverse Whatever and that was written by two people who used to be professionals.

d1nolore

Savant
Let's not pretend that nwn is about visual novels. That's you're problem if you experienced that. Online PvP was vastly more popular than these visual novels ever were. So your evaluation is very flawed.

Cael

Arcane
DD spells worked up to 2nd Ed. They stopped working in 3.x because of the hp bloat. Which is what I said.
As i said, damage spells dont matter.

In 3.5, you can get meaningful attacks with all 4 attacks at higher levels, and any martial class gets them.
It doesnt matter, theres a ton of hp bloat in 3.5, the relative damage went down. as i said, most ineffective way to kill anyone is to reduce their hp to 0.

Removing hp might be least effective but most consistent. It is also pretty simple to make. I have a martial build that can do about 50 damage per blow, which mean he triggers the massive damage save every single successful attack (and with that kind of a strength bonus, you can bet he is landing most of the time). That is just using a bog standard dwarven waraxe. I shudder to think what he can do with a warmace with the wizard dropping a Greater Mighty Wallop on it.
Stat damage is more reliable, so is reaching impossible to save DCs. And you have the defenses magic affords you as well.
I had a character that could do anywhere from 500 to 1000 damage per round, it meant shit.
Then i had a wizard of the same level that didnt do damage, he dominated, didnt need a stupid warrior ruining everything.

You are forgetting a lot of things. First in 2nd edition martial classes had the best saving throws. Second the small pool of hp coupled with the largely static AC meant that anything died in one round even if you didnt minmax your character, and that every attack actually landed, and that casters autofailed constitution on taking any damage from any source. Third, martials were the only ones getting a big bonus from constitution. Fourth, you could add dex to AC. Fifth, exceptional STR bonus was also both rare and big, and exclusive to martials.

Yeah in 3rd edition fighters can manage bigger numbers, but in the big picture bigger numbers mean fuck all.
A lot of assumptions there.

I have played in a game with a fighter, a cleric and a wizard. The fighter was consistently the one with the most kills. My wizard had the least. Why? Because I cast a couple of spells for that combat and let the fighter handle the rest. I don't bother going for the kill myself because it is an inefficient use of resources. When I needed to act, the fight would be over in 2 rounds, but that is not the point.

You are right that stat damage is far more effective. That is exactly what I use to take out enemies. Dragons, animals and many magical beasts go down fast if you know which stat to target.

There are a lot of things that need to be taken into account in the fighter vs caster debate, but I don't think this is the place to do it. Suffice to say that a well built fighter isn't as helpless as people make them out to be.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can do amazing stuff even with WC3's World Edit. There are some 'maps' in there that are actually 20 hour long RPGs.
You can do damn near anything with WC3's editor. Fuck, I remember some dude doing a first person map in the vein of Amnesia and all, not to mention platformers and third person action. And racing games.

Deleted Member 16721

Lilura - Not sure if I asked before, but are there any other Planescape modules for NWN/NWN2 that you know about? I found Shaper of Dreams awhile back, which seems to be the only finished one I could find. There was another one that was never finished I think, and not sure about NWN itself as those were NWN2 modules. Just curious. I'd love to check out more Planescape content since I really like the setting.

d1nolore

Savant
Except you can't run persistent worlds with 60+ players, with DM oversight.

NWN is extremely diverse.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Really bland and ugly looking game, especially when you played Infinty Engine games before. And the campaign modules + NPC's were pretty forgettable too.

The only redeeming quality was the toolset, allowing people to create some really good RP mods.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The only redeeming quality was the toolset, allowing people to create some really good RP mods.

Yeah, but it's still got RTwP and dumb companion AI. Aurora modders can work within inferior systems all they like: they will remain innately inferior because their inferiority is hard-coded. Modders just can't fight against BioWare's grievously flawed visions and puerile understanding of what core D&D is.

Lhynn

Arcane
Really bland and ugly looking game, especially when you played Infinty Engine games before. And the campaign modules + NPC's were pretty forgettable too.

Considering the whole point of the game was the toolset, thats high praise.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
NPC's were pretty forgettable too.

Deekin is the most memorable character in RPG history IMO.

char_deekin.jpg

And Aribeth is very memorable, for being crap in the first game but amazingly good in Hordes.

Kingmaker had the rat companion, also memorable and quality:

nwmain%2B2012-03-05%2B23-44-04-93.jpg

I also like the aesthetic of NWN in Hordes and other games. The sprites themselves are blocky and it's not as beautiful as the IE games generally, but it has it's own charms and creates its own aesthetic that is 100% unique to itself. One of the first fantasy games I ever played was Myth, and NWN was only a couple of years after Myth, and, well, thing's improved a lot in that short amount of time:

4-20_sevengates_screen5.png
(polygon backgrounds).

But, yeah, no other game is even remotely like NWN 1. The look of the game is soured in the Original Campaign by the main bulk of the game being set in tedious town, move the design to the dungeon arena like in Hordes and it really does grow on you.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I loved the game. The OC was bland, but the expansions and community content were fantastic. I got a lot of exposure to various dnd campaign settings for the first time, easily got one of the best dollar to hours of enjoyment value of any game I've ever owned, and even used the toolset and toolset guide as my first steps in learning C++ which I now use regularly in my day-to-day life as a software engineer. The game has a lot of flaws, but it actually played a fairly pivotal role in my life for just being a game and will always be a fond memory for me.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I have spent so many hours digging through the Lexicon, for someone who has never played any of the NWN saga.

The community of modding is definitely what impressed me the most with these games. Without that community, further modding of later BioWare games would have died on the vine; instead people are still making tools for KotOR.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was LONG AS FUCK

That put it ahead of any other RPG of the time for me (and since).

The time travel area and the creepy forest still remain in my 640k memory, so all you edgelords that claim it was banalshitboring lolomg generic story can fuck right off.

PorkBarrellGuy

My favourite and most used companion of the OC.

latest

Good ole farm boy Pavel.

Not sure if you're saying you went henchless for the OC after the tutorial prologue, or if you never finished anything other than the prologue, or what.

All the companions in the OC were fairly fucking boring characters, with the possible exception of Tomi who had the only backstory that was capable of sparking even the most cursory interest in me. Thankfully, the OC is perfectly doable henchless and the special henchman items you get are fairly forgettable amidst the shower of loot that can be effortlessly obtained throughout the OC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom