Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline So, how do you decide on reviews exactly...?

Staff review: How good is the staff at putting good reviews on the frontpage?

• Good

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • OK

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Horrible

Votes: 20 40.0%

• Total voters
Looking at the current frontpage, it appears to me that the review-selection process is not functioning exactly like a well oiled machine. As a rule, we can say that it is slow, even when the game is highly anticipated (PoE); we can say that it is inflexible, as one death/creative disagreement threw the second (meant to be first) review out, and leave us with nothing. We can say also that the quality control is less than stellar, not only from the current frontpage, but also from other experiences.

This is very pointless, seeing how generous codexers really are... No really. There were posted a couple decent reviews at the PoE forum almost immediately after launch. Zed's was pretty serviceable, if uninspired, but would've worked well if it was fleshed out a little. And if prompted, I'm sure many others would be happy to help. I happen to know that Roxor submitted his review without any prompting, and had to fight to get it on the front page, even though there was no other alternative at the time (and the staff wasn't looking for any alternative either).

Alas, there was silence. No one asked for anything. Someone said there were problems producing a review, but no one asked for any, either. I bet if there was some kind of request at PoE forum or somewhere else, you'd get many drafts submitted.

Now, we got... The current frontpage. This review has its share of flaws, which I won't detail further. This is certainly not the best the collective codex userbase can do.

It seems to me like the review editors, if we have any, are incompetent and in need of replacement. Perhaps hiring based on affirmative action minority quotas wasn't the way to get results? Barring a full replacement of the staff, perhaps some better routines in gathering user reviews would be appropriate

Cassidy

Arcane
herostratus, why do you even bother asking a question for which the answer is so obvious?

1zXp4B4.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Current process:

Step 1: someone - anyone - on the codex writes a review
Step 2: review is submitted to one of the staff people and put in content forum for staff
Step 3: they bicker and argue about spelling for a bit
Step 4: if the review is 10/10 GOTY and praises devs, infinitron stickies it on the front page immediately and adds it to the curator
Step 5: Otherwise it languishes in obscurity until DU or VoD get fed up and publish it
Step 6: if another review comes along that praises the game more, the previously published review is demoted to a fan submission, while the new, more positive review is the official codex one.

hivemind

Yeah this system is ridiculous, my 3D online Pong game review that I posted in prosperland was completely ignored.

fucking shills

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
felipepepe's review was good

TBH this is the first time that I've been disappointed by a Codex review, usually they are *at least* okay if not pretty good.

So yeah Crooked Bee et al, this one time you didn't do your job very well.

But yeah like I said in the review thread, this (lazy) review was only done to defend the game / be put on the curator page.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
TBH this is the first time that I've been disappointed by a Codex review, usually they are *at least* okay if not pretty good.

If you weren't disappointed by the Wasteland 2 review you don't get to criticize the current one.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I expected VD to let inXile off the hook for pretty much everything as long as the C&C was there.

Since that's what I expected, the review did not disappoint :P

razvedchiki

Erudite
The answer to the ops questions and anything else conserning the staff members unfortunately will be answered in the future.

If said staff disapears from the codex and reappears at a mass media gaming site sucking 24/7 AAA devs dicks
then certain past/present actions will be seen in a new perspective.

Peter_the_Bard

Educated
The answer to the ops questions and anything else conserning the staff members unfortunately will be answered in the future.

If said staff disapears from the codex and reappears at a mass media gaming site sucking 24/7 AAA devs dicks
then certain past/present actions will be seen in a new perspective.

491.jpg

sser

Arcane
Developer
I honestly don't get what is so confusing about this. Do people think it's a joke or something?

hCqiLfC.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Here's how the process worked for me:

1) wrote a lengthy post about Icewind Dale
2) PMed and told that the staff thought it was funny/informative and that if I cleaned it up, it could become official Codex content
3) Did so and went through a few revisions for polish

Perhaps all those other people don't feel like going through so much effort for a volunteer gig. ^_^

So, how do you decide on reviews exactly...?
Someone writes something.

We post it.

There may or may not be a quality control step in there somewhere depending on who posts it.
That's good.

You may look into publicizing this a bit better... In this world you rarely get anything if you don't even bother asking, so if you needed reviews, you should probably have made some kind of PSA on it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think it works like in tacticularcancer. Everyone is happy when someone can be arsed to write a few coherent pages about a game and the shit goes to the frontpage.

Zetor

Arcane
Well, the TT review went like this: I was asked to write a review, slacked off until mid-May due to work, sent in first draft, got feedback, sent in final draft, review was published, they all lived happily ever after.

If you take every 10th character in the review and decrypt the resulting text with the secret key to be revealed in case of my death, you will find out the terrible truth. For now, let me just say that the Editoriat has thwarted my attempts to trashtalk a certain Polish srpg in the review... oh god they are h

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom