Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how come people dislike Fortnite but like Quake 3?

Alright I have to say that quake 3 arena is mediocore at the best I think. It's basically just like fortnite where the entire goal is you spawn in random places and have to seek out OP gear across the gamemap. There's no balance whatsoever to it. So how come the actual design is to where the buzzsaw can't beat a bfg? A lot of people complain that fortnite follows this exactly but actually I see a lot of people who give a game like Quake 3 a free pass just because its from the 90's where as fortnite is the spiritual successor to quake three arena

Ash

Arcane
I know this is a probably a troll post but there's plenty reasons why:

Quake 3 uses tighter controlled pseudo-random spawning, and you don't only have one life and fragile health so the location of your spawn isn't heavily deterministic to the outcome of the game.
Quake 3 gameplay is, well, gameplay, rather than running miles praying you find some half-decent gear shat out by RNG.
There IS balance to Quake 3's design. The lower tier weapons are not equal to rocket launchers and whatnot, no, but it's about controlling power positions, and a player spawned in with starting gear and that has actual skill can in time and a little knowledge take out a BFG-wielder with little to no RNG being involved at all.
Quake 3 gameplay is highly skill-based in general, while PuBG and clones are heavily based in RNG like a fucking card game...when there's actually action going on to begin with, not running a marathon trying to find gear.

I'm not really an MP arena shooter fan (prefer SP shooters) but Quake 3 is worthy as a game and Fortnite/PubG is for retards. The End.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People like to hate on popular shit for no reason. Fortnite is actually kinda fun, though I got bored of it pretty quick. It has an extremely high mechanical ceiling that anyone would recognize if they just spent 5 minutes watching some of the better players in 1v1s. The graphics are cartoony but who gives a fuck? It's a shooter and they don't look look bad, just average.
Quake 3 uses tighter controlled pseudo-random spawning, and you don't only have one life and fragile health so the location of your spawn isn't heavily deterministic to the outcome of the game.
Quake 3 gameplay is, well, gameplay, rather than running miles praying you find some half-decent gear shat out by RNG.
This kind of shit makes me think that you didn't even fucking play the game. What do you mean run around praying you get some half-decent gear? There are places where you land that are guaranteed to have gear that is good enough to win a fight if you're any good, and you can always drop in a place that's more contested if you wish.
Quake 3 gameplay is highly skill-based in general, while PuBG and clones are heavily based in RNG like a fucking card game...when there's actually action going on to begin with, not running a marathon trying to find gear.
Again, more proof that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. While a game like Quake has a high skillcap, pretending Fortnite doesn't is so fucking ignorant. I'd love to see you do a proper build towering up to a structure without someone shooting at you, much less having to deal with people above, below, and in front of you.

TL;DR: Fornite isn't that bad, but I find it kind of repetitive after a bit. Ignore the retards that like to hate on what's popular because they can't see past their biases.

Unwanted

Unwanted
I'm not really an MP arena shooter fan (prefer SP shooters).

Unreal Tournament 1999/2004 Campaign and random maps with bots is one of the best single player experiences I've had,the only other FPS game that i have spent more time playing is doom/doom 2 with custom wads and mods.

RolePlayer

Augur
Fortnite is as skill based as any other shooter with PvP elements. I just can't stand the art style and the weeaboo SJW fags that the game attracts. Not to mention the stupid dances/celebration that have hit the main stream. Nothing is more annoying than watching some soccer mom mimicking the dances on the game. The same goes for Overwatch. Also fuck the microtransaction business models tied to these games.

Blood/gore should be mandatory in ANY FPS.

Fuck these cash grab care-bear family friendly g-rated shooters and the fags who play them.

Last edited:

deltamind

Literate
Well it depends man, it's just like some people like Pizza with Pineapple and some don't XD Don't kill me with the comments.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
People pretend to love oldschool arena shooters but they are all fucking dead.
HWRo5Nt.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Quake 3 is more of a true "high skilled" game since there's zero randomness in it, since everything is timed and at a fixed location. Fortnite is a game that can be based entirely around luck for victory.

Tiospo

Learned
Has anyone been playing Fornite? Looks fun, but when the masses start playing I know it's all downhill with idiots, trolls

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know it's all downhill with idiots, trolls
What the fuck does this mean? Trolls? How the fuck are you going to troll in Fornite? Just kill them if they're in front of you rofl. And even if there are trolls, there are a hundred people per map. The odds you meet one are very low. As for whether the game is fun, it's not bad. It has a pretty decent learning curve actually, with the building. Third person shooters aren't my favorite so I got bored after a while, but it's still pretty good if you're into those kind of games.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Fortnite, that game where a random "nude" player with a green shotgun can easily kill you, while you were fully equiped shield and epic drops. Just thanks to aiming skills and building (The core gameplay mechanic of that game). Guezz, I'm not even a fan of battle royale games. But this edgelordness of comparing arena shooters with battle royales is absolutely non-sensical.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Fuck everything after Quake 1. Quake 2 is not Quake so it is still good.

Unless they merge Doom Eternal with Quake then I might...relent.

abija

Prophet
Totalbiscuit said something about this that I agree with, even though I wouldn't say that I was a big fan of him.

Except all of those were cheap efforts. There hasn't been a serious effort into arena shooters since last UT (unless you include shootmania).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Totalbiscuit said something about this that I agree with, even though I wouldn't say that I was a big fan of him.

Except all of those were cheap efforts. There hasn't been a serious effort into arena shooters since last UT (unless you include shootmania).
You have your "serious effort" and it was called Quake Champions. It's barely alive, less than 10,000 players that's steadily declining which is pathetic for a F2P game with so much money and marketing behind it. Mark my words, Quake Champions will be under 2000 players by the end of this year.
On that note I wouldn't call Toxikk, Reflex or UT4 cheap efforts. Toxikk was a good UT clone with all the things UT needs, Reflex is as good as CPMA could possibly get with an excellent engine and amazing netcode and UT4 is UT4. I know that you are going to pull the "But we want something new!" card but matter-of-factly that will not not work out. No matter what change you decide to bring about, the old guard WILL whine about it. You cannot in any way shape or form implement something new into a AFPS without having people whine about it and all the games that were going for a "pure" experience like Reflex was are also dead.

abija

Prophet
No, I don't want something new. I want something good, designed by people with common sense not some committee or some random sperg, with nice graphics and at least some resemblance of art direction. Games that actually try to get in new players in and don't hide their devs laziness behind the "we're hardcore" bullshit.

(QC is the same minimum effort money grab that QL was, UT4 had no direction, not even a remote resemblance of leadership. Reflex is the only good game in that list but it targeted only a very small niche of quake players and lacks any appeal for other audiences. It cannot possibly attract players that look for some quick fun, which should be the main target audience of an arena shooter. )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom