Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SO ,for Clarification (Spoilers)

ColCol

Arcane
The society that existed before the Apocalypse was advance even before the appearance of the alien beings (though they might have helped)?

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
They did.

And despite all that, they still waged war with swords and spears.

AoD is basically Wizardry/Might&Magic, where you fight sword-wielding robots just the same, but grimdark and with Romans.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As far as I can tell the society that existed before summoning aliens had fusion generators, silicon life forms and transdimensional construction and manipulation.

How they managed to make these things, but never consider upgrading from roman style legions with swords and shields to say, guns is a complete mystery.

As is the fact that they don't seem to have figured out a better way of transportation between carts and teleporters (and none of the teleporters we see are large enough or accessible enough to indicate being used for anything but personal transportation).

Discovering AoD's setting is cool, but after doing so, I've come to the conclusion that it is completely nonsensical. It would have made far more 'sense' if these things were just called magic, instead of constantly indicating they are based in science.

ColCol

Arcane
Yeah, that's I thought. Originally I thought this world was once a roman empire-like era that was being uplifted by alien influence. Yet, it pretty much becomes clear by the end of the game that this was not the case. Not sure I'm a fan of this aspect of the world building.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Originally I thought this world was once a roman empire-like era that was being uplifted by alien influence. Yet, it pretty much becomes clear by the end of the game that this was not the case.
Based on what? The 'Gods' gave them the necessary tech to build the machines and make the ritual possible. The Magi hoarded the knowledge and weren't eager to share it and transform the society (which would be nonsensical). It's mentioned that the ritual didn't happen overnight and the Magi spent many years communicating with the 'gods' and developing the necessary technology with very limited understanding of it (more like being guided step by step) before attempting the ritual.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The line between magic and technology is blurry. There are machines, but the gods are definitely there. Also, when you visit hellgate, zamedi and others you notice that the only flag is that of the Magi. They were clearly a state within the State.

ColCol

Arcane
Based on what? The 'Gods' gave them the necessary tech to build the machines and make the ritual possible. The Magi hoarded the knowledge and weren't eager to share it and transform the society (which would be nonsensical). It's mentioned that the ritual didn't happen overnight and the Magi spent many years communicating with the 'gods' and developing the necessary technology with very limited understanding of it (more like being guided step by step) before attempting the ritual.

My bad then, some of the lore/diaries made me think that gate technology existed before the aliens.

Stompa

Arcane
And despite all that, they still waged war with swords and spears.

How they managed to make these things, but never consider upgrading from roman style legions with swords and shields to say, guns is a complete mystery.

There was "a squad of fusiliers" though, mentioned in the diary on Pax Imperium. Hell if I know why their rifles didn't get mass-produced since apparently they are good enough to kill a god.

ColCol

Arcane
There was "a squad of fusiliers" though, mentioned in the diary on Pax Imperium. Hell if I know why their rifles didn't get mass-produced since apparently they are good enough to kill a god.

If the guns/gun-like weapons can kill aliens I can see why the amount produced would be controlled.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
If the guns/gun-like weapons can kill aliens I can see why the amount produced would be controlled.

I think it's because Agatoth was the guy producing all these great things. It's mentioned in the tablets in the Ziggurat that He was the one who gave all that advanced tech to the empire. So the ppl of the Empire, even the Magi didn't have the "know how" to build all that advanced stuff, they depended on Agatoth, didn't trust him and tried to backstab him at the end (a plan that failed miserably because Agatoth had his own acolytes who were more loyal to Him than they were to the Magi).

Correct me if I'm wrong Vault Dweller

anus_pounder

Arcane
I think it's because Agatoth was the guy producing all these great things. It's mentioned in the tablets in the Ziggurat that He was the one who gave all that advanced tech to the empire. So the ppl of the Empire, even the Magi didn't have the "know how" to build all that advanced stuff, they depended on Agatoth, didn't trust him and tried to backstab him at the end (a plan that failed miserably because Agatoth had his own acolytes who were more loyal to Him than they were to the Magi).

Well technically, they succeed if your PC is powerful enough to kill Agatoth. The plan's ending is just a few hundred years and an entire civilization late to the party. :M

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. It's funny because the final boss was actually the "good" god, the one who won the war and saved the empire.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Yeah. It's funny because the final boss was actually the "good" god, the one who won the war and saved the empire.

That reminds me though,

lore stuff spoilers -

What about the Qantari mainland and Not-China that Feng comes from? We know nothing about the latter aside from the fact it exists and while the former would certainly be much depleted in manpower due to the war, all the fighting takes place on the Empire's soil, not in the land 'beyond the sea'. Man, now I wish AoD had sold a lot more copies so we could get sequels or same-time-different-location games set in the AoD world.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well technically, they succeed if your PC is powerful enough to kill Agatoth. The plan's ending is just a few hundred years and an entire civilization late to the party. :M

Speaking of that anyone managed to beat him? What build? My assassin didnt really stand a chance.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That reminds me though,

lore stuff spoilers -

What about the Qantari mainland and Not-China that Feng comes from? We know nothing about the latter aside from the fact it exists and while the former would certainly be much depleted in manpower due to the war, all the fighting takes place on the Empire's soil, not in the land 'beyond the sea'. Man, now I wish AoD had sold a lot more copies so we could get sequels or same-time-different-location games set in the AoD world.
If we stay in business and get to revisit the AoD world, we'll set the sequel on another continent and give you an opportunity to explore the Qantari culture, see how their fared and what they are up to.

You'd join an expedition sent by House Aurelian shortly before the events of the first game. As in AoD, you'd be able to pick from different backgrounds: a praetor representing House Aurelian, a thief chained to the galley, a merchant representing the Commercium and tasked with establishing a trading outpost, a merc hired to protect the expedition (one of many, of course), a Boatmen assigned to the praetor, etc.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
If we stay in business and get to revisit the AoD world, we'll set the sequel on another continent and give you an opportunity to explore the Qantari culture, see how their fared and what they are up to.

You'd join an expedition sent by House Aurelian shortly before the events of the first game. As in AoD, you'd be able to pick from different backgrounds: a praetor representing House Aurelian, a thief chained to the galley, a merchant representing the Commercium and tasked with establishing a trading outpost, a merc hired to protect the expedition (one of many, of course), a Boatmen assigned to the praetor, etc.

Yes, please.

kain30

Cipher

that would be awesome :)

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Presumably this would be after the colony ship RPG, so we can expect it around 2035?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

Why not just start as part of the Quantari culture?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I feel it would've been better if the "names" and equipment were not based on familiar roman culture.
The whole setting is more like the Book of the New Sun anyway - but it was probably easier than to come up with new visual style and imaginative names.

Zeriel

Arcane

Agathoth is just as bad at a human scale as the others, the only exception to that is that he shows what seems to be concern/affection for his old followers. When it comes to what he actually DOES after you wake him up, though, he acts with mostly the same level of villainy as Balzaar. I guess his endgame is slightly less megalomaniacal than Balzaar's, but only slightly. Balzaar literally wants to turn the entire world into a temple for him, Agathoth just wants to rule it in the shadows, but he still wants to rule it all as an unquestioned dictator.

Also, it's heavily implied that Agathoth's disciples fucked things up pretty bad. They attacked Maadoran at the end and may have been personally responsible for killing Hadad. Either way, it seems like the empire would have been a lot better off if they hadn't been so loyal. The undoing of the ritual got rid of the gods 100% and would have worked on Agathoth too, without the whole torching of Maadoran thing.

ColCol

Arcane
So,like, the Quantari are the ones who first made contact with the aliens. Is this meant to leave something to the imagination. Did the aliens somehow reach out to them? How? Telepathy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom