Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Arx Fatalis...

Ivan

Arcane
at the Crypt now and it's all starting to come together. super creepy, well done dungeon.

Ivan

Arcane
meteor sword (did Grimrock 2 pay homage to this?) has no STRNGTH requirements. LOL

deama

Prophet
at the Crypt now and it's all starting to come together. super creepy, well done dungeon.
Yeah, crypt is nice, I hate that last puzzle though.

Q: should I worry about not being able to equip the ULTIMATE WEAPON?
I think you can just fireball the last boss to death, though it'll take a while.

Ivan

Arcane
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

another DOS you must have held on to object X to finish the game.

Ivan

Arcane
found them all. final boss was a joke, but combat was always my least favorite bit.

final thoughts:

Went into this completely blind. It's a dungeon crawler with a really neat magic system (use mouse to trace shapes to activate spells, not unlike Okami). Melee combat feels very floaty so I went w/ the magic to get to the best part of the game: exploration. A lot of love and detail went into the creation of this mega dungeon. It's huge and its denizens are cool, if not fully fleshed out. What's there is enough to keep you interested, I really wish they had time to fully expand the city and have added more quests. Speaking of quests, the journal is a joke and it's a shame, I would have loved to have seen more of the world used for quest purposes. There are many dead ends, unused spaces that could have served some purpose. All in all, I really enjoyed exploring this, using spells to navigate the environment, and meeting the small cast of characters. Give it a shot. It reminded me of Grim Rock at times, more of an "adventure game" than FP-RPG. Also, I wish they had added magic attuned melee weapons. The amount of rats you can kill this game!
:3/5:

now i have a better idea of what to expect for Underworld Ascendant

Tried this a few months ago and quickly got bored with how slow the game is in terms of movement speed. Did I miss some speed-boosting magic or something? Really aggravating how slow you walk when the game presents you non-obvious goals and you have to go back and forth across large levels.

Kahr

Tried this a few months ago and quickly got bored with how slow the game is in terms of movement speed. Did I miss some speed-boosting magic or something? Really aggravating how slow you walk when the game presents you non-obvious goals and you have to go back and forth across large levels.
Yeah, latter on you will get haste. But i didn't really find it that slow considering that you don't have to run very long to reach anything interesting as the world is pretty densely stuffed with content. Level design is awesome in this one.

Also there were teleporters on each floor.

It's a very good game. I remember brushing it off back in early 2000s, because back then, I didn't understand what it was. It seemed like a more budget version of games like Morrowind/Gothic (limited to some tunnels and the combat was kinda crappy (I remember trying a demo).

But I played it through many years later, and it was amazing in terms of the puzzles and intelligent gameplay, and the setting was really cool. It's the kind of game you can come back to years later too, once you forget the puzzle solutions, and play it again.

A note: if you enjoyed this one, be sure to play Ultima Underworld, its direct progenitor. Whereas Arx Fatalis is very good, UU is a masterpiece.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I was pumped for this and bought it the day it was released. It seems I screwed up by murdering a goblin at some point very early in the game, but didn't release things had gone off the rails until I had completed my genocide of the goblins and the trolls and then appeared to be stuck. I ended up starting again and doing things "properly", but have always been disappointed the game did not let me finish my righteous cleansing of the underworld.

deama

Prophet
I was pumped for this and bought it the day it was released. It seems I screwed up by murdering a goblin at some point very early in the game, but didn't release things had gone off the rails until I had completed my genocide of the goblins and the trolls and then appeared to be stuck. I ended up starting again and doing things "properly", but have always been disappointed the game did not let me finish my righteous cleansing of the underworld.
Well, you can, it's just that the humans see you as enemies so now you can't figure out what to do, but if you've played the game many times you can just continue up to the last boss.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I think you can completely ignore everything anybody in that game says and just...

...go for the akbaa stones. You just need the meteor sword to get the last stone.
I'm not sure if you are allowed to kill the Snake Women though.

deama

Prophet
I think you can completely ignore everything anybody in that game says and just...

...go for the akbaa stones. You just need the meteor sword to get the last stone.
I'm not sure if you are allowed to kill the Snake Women though.
Ye you can kill the snake women because you can just "fix" the meteor sword yourself with the enchant spell (and highish item crafting skill). Also, when you kill the head snake woman she drops the ring thing, so you can then go to that rebel chick and kill her and steal the other ring from her, then just go to the akbaa last place.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Geezus that resolution - 2548x1428 or whatever, no wonder he fuck up the casting, this was designed for old resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768 and old mouses (with ball), Arx Libertatis patch helps a lot up to 1080p but anything more gonna fizzle.
Or don't hover your mouse all over the screen and cast on smaller part of the screen in the center...

Not much in the mods department. More recipes and craftings and some minor tiny addons.
There was Arx - End of the Sun but looks like project was closed after beta release in 2016 :negative:

PrettyDeadman

Geezus that resolution - 2548x1428 or whatever, no wonder he fuck up the casting, this was designed for old resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768 and old mouses (with ball), Arx Libertatis patch helps a lot up to 1080p but anything more gonna fizzle.
Or don't hover your mouse all over the screen and cast on smaller part of the screen in the center...

Not much in the mods department. More recipes and craftings and some minor tiny addons.
There was Arx - End of the Sun but looks like project was closed after beta release in 2016 :negative:

Strange, considering it's basically opensource now.
Maybe ill try to mess around with it a little bit.

deama

Prophet

He switched to different resolutions in the video, didn't seem to help him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom