Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Wulfstand

Prophet
I recently got hooked on this game after 2-3 games. The matchmaking so far was balanced, and even tho I play on the american servers (the european launcher sucking bigtime, and I myself being an eastern european) I've never ONCE had in game lag.
The graphics are nice and the interface is very nicely done. Also the game is very beginner friendly, having a in-game list of recommended items for every hero, the list being displayed at the item seller. There are loads upon loads of heroes, each distinctly designed (even tho one of them reminds me of the Ninja Gaiden protagonist, another of some tyranid, etc) many being unlocked as your summoner levels up, being basically 3 tiers (1-10, 10-20, 20-30), which unlock different heroes to buy.
It'd be nice to have some codex games, so anyone interested can add me as a friend ig (Wulfstand).

BirdsCanFly

Educated
Yep, it's a fine game.

Got over 300 games now and it's still a lot of fun, especially with that unlocking system. Interestingly enough it keeps most morons from touching heroes that are too complex/difficult for them since the price is scaled by how difficult it is to play them.

The only thing I don't like is that it uses Adobe AIR and sometimes there are some mean server problems.

Padre

Liturgist
Tried it but after playing 1k Heroes of Newerth games this just seems as a dumbed down dota clone with no soul. Last time I tried match making I was constantly against some lvl 30 summoners me being lvl 2-3 just because I had a few decent matches.

Some heroes are great I agree but the whole simplicity of this game is not appealing. No active items, no runes, magic type heroes scaling to end game, retarded interface with adobe air.

Gfx look weird, ok but weird. Sound is ok, community is stupid but its kinda normal in this kind of games.

Balance wise this game is piece of shit though, so expect to see some lulzy actions.

edit : and no denying creeps. no thank you.

BirdsCanFly

Educated
So every game in the subgenre MOBA is now a clone of DotA which is just a clone of some weird Starcraft map itself? Also I have to disagree on the whole soul thing. HoN seems to have no soul for me. The characters are so stale and lack personality that I could barely endure it. Of course the gameplay is great and whatnot although the community sucks monkey balls if you ask me. Bunch of elitist assholes. Sure there are some of these in LoL too but overall I often play with pretty decent people (maybe thats because I play with friends or people from /v/, I don't know). I cannot really agree with the balance either. Sure, some heroes are pretty good at raping face but they are most likely supposed to and have at least one weakness. I think of HoN as some place for elitist kids to prove their worth to other elitist kids and LoL as a playground for casuals who want to have some fun. And you know what? I fucking love not having to worry about everything. Dieing? Well fuck that I don't lose gold so I'm not getting punished even further for making a stupid mistake (in addition to them taking towers and whatnot). No creep denying? Great! I can scratch my balls and enjoy a fucking great game at the same time! I also have to add that there are active items in the game. I totally agree with the GFX and retarded interface.

Padre

Liturgist
You do know that at least one of the creators of LoL was in charge of dota at some point ? So how can it be not a clone.

That weird map for SC is called Aeon of Strife btw :P

I won't argue with you about characters, it's a matter of personal preference. But I enjoyed walking around the forest with Chogath typing OM NOM NOM NOM in all chat while enemies were scared shitless.

Balance wise, haven't played it in like 2 months but I clearly remember that whoever had Twitch on the team won, period. Mediocre Twitch player and you win nevertheless.The same was for this Gambit ripoff who throws cards, while mistake designs like Mundo had nothing to show for the team.

And again, agreed on the HoN-competetive elitist pricks, LoL- casual consoletards. I just like to play for the elitist team:)

Dunno about your overall skill in those games but I assure you, as you get better you will envy those little differences like rune whoring and denying. It adds a lot more to the sometimes boring laning phase when suddenly you outlevel your opponent by 2.

And here's the most important thing

Dieing? Well fuck that I don't lose gold so I'm not getting punished even further for making a stupid mistake (in addition to them taking towers and whatnot). No creep denying? Great! I can scratch my balls and enjoy a fucking great game at the same time!

You see, you gotta be punished for making stupid mistakes. If you aren't, you are not learning anything because there are no consequences to your actions.

And when I say LoL is casual, it's just a statement. I just laugh everytime this moron Pendragon or whats he's called says LoL will become competetive in 18 months :wink:

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Padre said:
Some heroes are great I agree but the whole simplicity of this game is not appealing. No active items, no runes, magic type heroes scaling to end game, retarded interface with adobe air.

Okay, you're dumb. Sorry.

No active items? There are at least 5, with two more coming next patch.

No runes? You mean not everyone can turn invisible or get double damage? That's a stupid fucking mechanic. If you want buffs like that there are moderate buffs from creeps (even more on the 3v3 map), and 3 consumable buff potions. This is not even including the rune pages, masteries, and summoner spells. Yep. More simplistic.

You have a problem with "magic" heroes scaling to end game. You are a retard. This means that people other than "agility" heroes are viable end game. Apparently that is a bad thing. You are a retard.

Yes, the interface is shit.

Denying creeps exists, it's just not a direct obvious DENIED above it when it does. It happens each time you harass the enemy and keep them from last hitting, it happens every time they need to recall back to base to heal from all the shit you hit them with when they've tried to get last hits.

Please, please, PLEASE know what the fuck you're talking about before going all "blah blah I'm a dumb polack"

Anyway, name is Seance in LoL.

Hory

Erudite
Major delusional apologetic butthurt fanboy detected.

BirdsCanFly

Educated
Padre said:
You do know that at least one of the creators of LoL was in charge of dota at some point ? So how can it be not a clone.

So just because some developer worked at a game before his next games will automatically be a clone of said game? That sounds stupid, even if it belongs to the same genre.

You see, you gotta be punished for making stupid mistakes. If you aren't, you are not learning anything because there are no consequences to your actions.

Of course you are being punished. The towers become weaker with every passing minute and the spawn time increases to obscene amounts of time so that even a team that is at a disadvantage can easily rampage the enemy base if somebody is being a coward and dies. The thing is that I think that in HoN and DotA you get punished way too hard for dying. Perhaps that's just my personal preference.

Sovard said:
Padre said:

Okay, you're dumb. Sorry.

No active items? There are at least 5, with two more coming next patch.

No runes? You mean not everyone can turn invisible or get double damage? That's a stupid fucking mechanic. If you want buffs like that there are moderate buffs from creeps (even more on the 3v3 map), and 3 consumable buff potions. This is not even including the rune pages, masteries, and summoner spells. Yep. More simplistic.

You have a problem with "magic" heroes scaling to end game. You are a retard. This means that people other than "agility" heroes are viable end game. Apparently that is a bad thing. You are a retard.

Yes, the interface is shit.

Denying creeps exists, it's just not a direct obvious DENIED above it when it does. It happens each time you harass the enemy and keep them from last hitting, it happens every time they need to recall back to base to heal from all the shit you hit them with when they've tried to get last hits.

Please, please, PLEASE know what the fuck you're talking about before going all "blah blah I'm a dumb polack"

:retarded:

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Hory said:
Major delusional apologetic butthurt fanboy detected.

Thank you for your wonderful contribution codexer reduced to one-liners who may or may not have played either game.

I responded to someone spreading misinformation as fact. I wasn't attempting to detail the faults of the game (which are many).

But hey, thanks for being a faggot. :thumbsupasian:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Why would you play this shit?

HoN > DotA > LoL

Padre

Liturgist

Wanted to write some witty response but I won't fail for an obvious troll. Because you are trolling right ? Because you can't be serious you know that ?

Of course you are being punished. The towers become weaker with every passing minute and the spawn time increases to obscene amounts of time so that even a team that is at a disadvantage can easily rampage the enemy base if somebody is being a coward and dies. The thing is that I think that in HoN and DotA you get punished way too hard for dying. Perhaps that's just my personal preference.

Probably just preference then. The hard punishment for dying in dota and hon is there to cut the endgame short so it doesn't turn into a bigger ricefest.Sometimes one major fuck up and you are out. LoL went with longer and more steady matches because rax respawns after some times IIRC?

So just because some developer worked at a game before his next games will automatically be a clone of said game? That sounds stupid, even if it belongs to the same genre.

Maybe it sounds stupid but they didn't come up with a genre name that I like outside dota clone. MOBA is a terrible name tbh. I consider Demigod a dota clone too.
Here's an interview with one of the tools from Riot http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=17474 to back up my choice of the word clone :cool:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Where did that shitty MOBA acronym come from? They didn't named games that play like wolfenstein with some retarded acronym that sounds like Doom.

It's a pity the best versions of this genre are too complicated to reach popularity required to be successful in competition with other games. There's a WC3 map called AotZ that has a much better model- there's no neutral units to rice, gold is mostly spent on team allied commanders that spawn units at their forts to assist the basic units. The commanders can be killed but are rather powerful and help defend the forts. It makes for a much more interesting dynamic, with players having to decide where and what units to spend their gold on, where to focus their heroes, etc.

But anything more complicated than 'Kill everything. Spend money on whatever lets you kill more.' is just too much for the average player.

BirdsCanFly

Educated
DamnedRegistrations said:
Where did that shitty MOBA acronym come from? They didn't named games that play like wolfenstein with some retarded acronym that sounds like Doom.

It's a pity the best versions of this genre are too complicated to reach popularity required to be successful in competition with other games. There's a WC3 map called AotZ that has a much better model- there's no neutral units to rice, gold is mostly spent on team allied commanders that spawn units at their forts to assist the basic units. The commanders can be killed but are rather powerful and help defend the forts. It makes for a much more interesting dynamic, with players having to decide where and what units to spend their gold on, where to focus their heroes, etc.

But anything more complicated than 'Kill everything. Spend money on whatever lets you kill more.' is just too much for the average player.

Yeah, there are a lot of great maps that would make fantastic standalone games. Too bad we only get another "Bald Spahs Mehreens 54: Final Destination"

Hory

Erudite
DamnedRegistrations said:
As if this abstraction doesn't also apply to your example. Nice double standards.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As an average player I found HoN a bit boring. Controlling one character for 45 minutes with bunch of players going hit 'n run all the time gets a bit tedious.
Its like everybody is afraid to get in a fucking fight. These type of games should be limited to 15 minutes max per round with constant creep stream to got some fun out them.
MOAR action please.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Fuck me, I completely forgot about this thread.

I've been playing some more, hit level 8. My first hero was Tryndamere (the barbarian king), and boy, was I instantly disappointed... Maybe I'm not that good of a player yet to be playing him, maybe he's just useless, I dont know.

Recently I got to a new batch of heroes, where I got to play with Taric and Malphite. Both are great fun, and very good heroes (especially Taric, who's like a more dps oriented/heavily armored Soraka, another hero I really like), so I've had loads of fun. Can't really decide on which hero of the above mentioned 2 to choose from, since I've started saving up IP for one of the 2 (each being 3k+, it'll take a 3-4 days). Oh and while I'm at it, as you level up, do you gain more IP points, or is it still 200 or so/Summoner's Rift?

Added you to friends.

EDIT: oh, and if anybody's interested in some game footage, to see how the game plays and looks, this guy has some really good videos up.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I HAD an account, then all Asian players got banned from the game for being laggy or something, and asked to wait for an Asian server with no determinable date of arrival, so I quit.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Tryndamere is in a tough spot right now balance wise, but he's due for some tweaking next patch. He was nerfed pretty hard a while ago and hasn't fully recovered.

Malphite is a pretty solid tank and decent initiator, while Taric is good support with his heals/stuns.

The rewards are pretty steady. Twisted Treeline generates it faster due to it's average 15-30 minute games. Also, the win of the day bonus is a pretty hefty one bringing about a double bonus for the first win each day.

Padre

Liturgist
Tryndamere is garbage, paper dps hero who is outshined by Master Yi in every way.

If you want to rise your rating quickly I recommend Annie or Ashe. Ashe is a straight slow/stun single target dps. Annie has a nice passive and a great ultimate to push towers and initiate a fight plus some good dmg if you feed her well. Just call solo mid, at lvl 6 kill your lane opponent, go gank a side lane. Rinse. Repeat.

Once you have the points to buy twitch, do so and proceed to win the game

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Twitch is pretty easy to counter these days. It's true he's a newbie stomper, though. He doesn't see much high level play.

Any fed hero is a pain in the ass to deal with.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Morgana is my main for now a great hero over all if you have the timing to use her.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Today i had my first lagged game, and man, was it rage inducing...
Good thing we still won, thanks to a well played/fed Katarina. Currently I have 4 wins/ 0 losses on Taric, but he gets pretty dull most of the times, unfortunately..
Now I have like 1700 ip, and I was thinking on screwing the waiting for those 3k+ ip heroes, and buying the Riot Girl, Tristana, or some other 1300 heroe. Any suggestions/advices?
EDIT: 2nd game lagging, might be because of the rain, God knows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom