Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Seethe

Arbiter
Ahh the smell of butthurt PC gamers by the morning. What a pity that Bloodborne, Horizon and God of War will never be released for PC.

Good morning, gents.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

PS4 owner here. Bloodborne is amazing, God of War is garbage. Now fuck off.

Ash

Arcane
On the other hand, game series should not repeat themselves indefinitely. Some series like Asscreed and Mass effect did that and they ended up being boring, predictable shit.

Those series were boring, repetitive shit starting with the first title of each :roll:

Wolfe

Arbiter
Same here, I find the edginess displayed on this thread pathetic and yet not surprising given that this is the Codex and everything is shit.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Been playing this - enjoying it enough. Challenging difficulty, played about 5 hrs.

It's pretty much an Uncharted/TLoU clone. I like the setting. I wonder if Scandinavians are allowed to complain about Americans culturally appropriating from them?

The combat suffers because of the camera choice. It's extremely frustrating to see gaming press downplaying the importance of situational awareness during combat, while at the same time saying things like "the entire game is one take" - as if some arbitrary cinematic measure should have relevance in our completely different medium.

It is not as pretty as advertised, with the world fogged out beyond 30 metres and the occasional "setup" to show bigger landscapes. They really have just built levels and connected them with corridors, so I find anyone calling it an Open World a real stretch. Horizon Zero Dawn was a much bigger and better open world.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Surprised that the journos liked the game given how challenging this is. Some encounters and some bosses are pretty nuts and journos are notorious for hating anything with a whiff of challenge. Just got my ass handed to me for a good long time by a Valkyrie before finally beating her. Now I finally got the 2nd actual weapon and boy it feels so fucking good. Hours upon hours of trying to beat large groups of foes with a weapon that was clearly meant for 1v1 combat and then you're finally given a weapon with real area control. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the game. It starts off feeling a bit shallow but it does come around eventually.

Silva

Arcane
So the game is good? Another one for the PS4 awesome exclusives list?

Oh and add Nier Automata, Monter Hunter World, Senua Sacrifice, Until Dawn, Yakuza and Persona 5 to the list. (though Persona 5 is shit)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm especially enjoying the freedom to explore before moving on with the story missions. Had a good time exploring every nook in the lake when I first unlocked boat travel.

Also the banter between the boy and his dad is pretty cool, especially how is constantly trying to please him and how Kratos slowly goes from being an absolute dick to being just a dick.

Wolfe

Arbiter
NieR: Automata and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice aren't PS4 exclusives, though, unless if you're referring to PS vs XBox.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Nier's best version is on the PS4 tho. The pc port was shit.

Agree on the PC port is shit part, but have to disagree on the PS4 being any better, you can fix up the pc port with the mod and get solid 60 lock, maybe throw in some sweetfx to fix the blandass look of the game too. It's just standards are different for PC and consoles, Dark Souls PC port is shit but it is still better than the console version.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Watching Joseph Anderson play this on twitch it looks ultra tedious tbh, though that HP bloat from hard difficulty may be part of it.
Kid has some of that "kids don't talk like that!" thing going on but oh well.

The impression I'm getting so far is that it's a ultra-bland AAA console third person melee game. Combat has a lot of witcher 3 to it (general feel of the silly slow attacks, sort of high impact feel though but little damage unless your weapon stats are right), also that one wanna-be DS clone Lords of the Fallen or whatever. Add in a little nu-Tomb Raider (some of the puzzles, pointless collecting of shit, crafting etc, though that's also witcher 3), Last of Us and so on. Loads of Hellblade as well (though it's better overall imo).

I guess the best description would be "nu-Kratos' adventures in Hellblade, but with a little more effort and a kid".

Maybe it'll get better, but eh. (I was never a fan of GOW though, they're all 5/10 "DMC for people with games journalist skills" games for me, though Kratos' near-uncompromising "revengerevengerevenge" mindset was kind of neat for the most part).
So you could say that I'm not the target audience for this or the past games in the series, adjust your reading of my opinion accordingly.

The 10/10/10/10/10 craze I could understand in that that's just typical AAA fluffing out of the games media, but the weird gushing from many of the SJW "journalists" ? Super weird. If they haven't been paid off, then this must be some kind of 4D chess tactic to get gamergate types to not buy the game and thus outplay the Patriarchy and it's avatar, Kratos. Or something.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I'd be curious to hear from hardcore GOW players about this, tbh, since I can't really judge the game in the same way they could.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Watching Joseph Anderson
No. One does not watch Joseph Anderson and still have credibility. He is the worst kind of critic, one that is so entitled to his rubbish opinions with surface level understanding(or no fckn understanding); he does not understand the games he critiques, his 'solutions' would make the game severely worse and are mostly non-solutions; and he comes off as if he is making a deep analysis based on clear understanding of the game which fools most of the idiots into giving him credibility making the medium several times worse. He does not understand games and I do not believe he respects it either.

While we all bitch and whine about gaming media, their stupidity etc.. atleast they love 'games' and they do most of their shit because they want acknowledgment for games to be art from people who disregard it etc.. or they just want to write their stupid suggestions or particularly want everything to be only what they want with their narrow minds(kind of feels ironic when I say this). Or are too lazy to put effort into shit, and want rewards and low effort gameplay... ..the usual human things.

Joseph Anderson genuinely hurts me, he is the worst, he is like one of those "faith healers". He is fuckin slime, he is the worst I have encountered ever. Stop watching him, go watch people who are genuine like Noah Caldwell-Gervais or MrBToung(or read thenoctunalrambler), they genuinely love the medium and respect it, they are worth listening to.

As a person who genuinly respects and cares about games as art, he is quite literally among the worst person outside of morally extreme subject matter to me.

I couldn't even read the rest of your post cause you mentioned him. Download video-blocker plugin and block his fckn disgusting channel. Never mention his filthy name ever again.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Joseph anderson's work is trash. But is one of those who says things that people want to listen. That's why he's so popular. There's a lot of great videogame youtubers like Superbunnyhop, Mark brown or Warowl with great video editing and resources, and with a voice that feels good to listen. Like a radio speaker.

These kind of "critics" blabing around two hours reading a text about a game with random footage must be avoided. They're the decline.

Ent

Savant
Kinda reminds me of Shinji Mikami games like God hand and RE4. Combat feels nice when you have more abilities to work with.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Agree on the PC port is shit part, but have to disagree on the PS4 being any better, you can fix up the pc port with the mod and get solid 60 lock, maybe throw in some sweetfx to fix the blandass look of the game too. It's just standards are different for PC and consoles, Dark Souls PC port is shit but it is still better than the console version.

I never understood why retards pretend console versions are better just because a port is shit. The same happened with unmodded Dark Souls even though it was still miles better than the shitty console versions.

The fucking idiots probably don't realize it runs at 900p and still has framerate drops below 40 on PS4 because their eyes have been ruined by all the blurry 20 FPS messes they play day in and day out.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For fuck sake the Valkyries really don't play around. Managed to kill two of them so far but the other two I found just wrecked me hard. Will have to come back later when I get some better gear. How far is everyone else?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
For fuck sake the Valkyries really don't play around. Managed to kill two of them so far but the other two I found just wrecked me hard. Will have to come back later when I get some better gear. How far is everyone else?
I just finished the light elf realm, killed the dark elf king just a few minutes ago. Got the game at launch and have been playing quite a bit, but taking my time and exploring every nook, reading every piece of lore, doing all the side quests and challenges I find.

The dark elf boss fight was fun, I got destroyed my first two attempts when I tried going hand to hand with the king, then I realized I should be using atreus to better effect, and upgraded his bow and arrows, that being done, he did respectable damage to the boss while the fucker ignored atreus and just chased me around the level.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Alfheim looks really neat, makes the game appear less bland than I initially thought. And with more combat abilities and stronger gear, it seems the combat becomes less bullet-spongy as well.
You can meet foes that outlevel you by a lot though (similar to Witcher 3) in otherwise lower level areas, so you can get one-shotted by otherwise normal-ish looking foes. Possible to defeat them, but then it's sponge-time again.
Enemy design has some stuff like a fast caster you can't hit with Kratos unless your son shoots it with the bow first and then you only have a short window of attack.
Kratos dies a lot faster than in past GOW's imo. At least early on in the game. You can upgrade HP though.

So far, after the (imo) weak-ish start it's getting more interesting at least. Let's see if it keeps getting better. I'll retract the "ultra-bland" part of my previous impressions for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom