Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Slitherine teams up with Games Workshop

GreyViper

Prophet
It looks while THQ is being sold off GW has been busy and been making deals. The latest news is that Slitherine partners with Games Workshop for new turn-based strategy game to release on multiple platforms.

Turn based you say, well alright, but who are these guys? Well games like Spartan and gates of Troy. Also Panzer Corps and Commander the Great War, so is there some hope for us hardcore fans. Who knows, but this better bed better then Rites of War that's for sure.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.403503-Games-Workshop-Reveals-New-Warhammer-40k-Game
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-14-slitherine-lands-warhammer-40k-license
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...onid=AEEF4FE34196B926EBBB8E4ADD2C326E#5390172

MetalCraze

Arcane
While I believe GW won't allow proper video games for fear of lost mini sales, I don't get the argument. Video games have a far lower barrier of entry in just about every way I can think of, so GW should be able to use them to expand their potential customer base. Video games have a very limited lifetime, so if they did turn out to compete with GWs TT products, they won't do so for very long - moreover, GW could position themselves to kill distribution of such video games at their convenience. Finally, I'm not aware of any evidence suggesting video game adaptations would be competing products in any meaningful way.

Sooo... Are GW really that insanely risk adverse, or am I missing something?

With a shitton of people seeing their friends mostly on their facebook page and in WoW a tabletop port of WH40K would be treated like "why buy miniatures for hundreds of dollars and set days to gather to play once every month or two when I can just fire up the $50 game and play it online anytime with my bros. And I will also get all those miniatures and combat fully animated and a computer will do all the routine calculations for me!"

Nobody gave a fuck about Blood Bowl anymore so they let the license go out there. Same as nobody cares about Space Hulk - so it's a fair game too.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would really like a better Final Liberation indeed (with Hexagons instead of squares, more races, and a better detection/combat model too, but then, camouflage doesn't work too well with soldiers wearing smurf armor).

It is ironic that all of this would not have been possible without the rise of the Ios game market...

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Final Liberation 2 would be nice, agreed.
This announcement bothers me a little bit.
I don't want to sound like a spoiled little brat, because we all know there are not enough TBS titles, but i would have preferred Close Combat: 40k.

Whitewolf

Novice
I would like warmaster since it's pretty obscure, but most likely it will be a 40k game.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
With a shitton of people seeing their friends mostly on their facebook page and in WoW a tabletop port of WH40K would be treated like "why buy miniatures for hundreds of dollars and set days to gather to play once every month or two when I can just fire up the $50 game and play it online anytime with my bros. And I will also get all those miniatures and combat fully animated and a computer will do all the routine calculations for me!"

Nobody gave a fuck about Blood Bowl anymore so they let the license go out there. Same as nobody cares about Space Hulk - so it's a fair game too.

Yeah, but you don't sell one fifty dollar game you sell individual digital models like in Magic Online as I said (plus charge for colors, banners, weapons, etc.). It's just that Grifts Workshop is an extremely reactionary company. You can see this in how they tried to lock down retailers and make it so only official Games Workshop stores can sell GW products and they don't want any online retailers at all besides them if possible.

They are old farts from the 80s who think the best way in the future is to double down on their increasingly outdated business model. If it wasn't for the fact that aging grognards are irrationally loyal to the shitty games they played as kids (see Mechwarrior Online) the company likely wouldn't be around at all now. Younger people now though are entirely accustomed to micro-transactions and shelling out money for online games so it's just conservatism that's stop them from exploiting that market properly in my opinion.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Final Liberation 2 would be nice, agreed.
This announcement bothers me a little bit.
I don't want to sound like a spoiled little brat, because we all know there are not enough TBS titles, but i would have preferred Close Combat: 40k.
Taking in account the state of Close Combat, especially the AI, I'd prefer Armored Brigade: 40k.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Well I hear you re: CC, but at the same time it's hard to be too disappointed at the prospect of a turn-based 40k game. What was the last one, that Panzer General-style thing?

Don't forget Squad Command for the Sony PSP, which was suprisingly enjoyable (if a bit on the easy side).

It's interesting that they're announcing another turn-based 40K game (that Space Hulk one is the other).

If they both somehow manage not to suck, it will be an embarassment of riches!

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Slitherine has made some decent games but they are extremely greedy, milking games with lots of expensive DLCs and rarely offering discounts. Combine that with GW's greed and I have little hope for this game. Of course there is always the possibility that I will buy it in a moment of moral weakness.

Marobug

Heh, I kind of enjoyed rites of war despite what most people and press said about it. It's no classic but it wasn't a terrible game either imo.
Definitely looking forward to this.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Heh, I kind of enjoyed rites of war despite what most people and press said about it. It's no classic but it wasn't a terrible game either imo.
"No classic" isn't enough for a Wh40k game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom