Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sleeping Dogs

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have finished it and it was awesome, albeit too short. It's GTA/Saints Row made great, not much over-the-top crap. I liked that for the most of the game you actually didn't kill anyone, just beat up enemies, and that destroying town and stealing gave you penalties. Story was okay, although just for the first half of the game, the second half was predictable and boring, but at least missions were fun for the whole game. The atmosphere was quite sinister, although not too much, so it didn't end up being GTA4's "oh this is so serious and bloody business that everything needs to be gritty". I can say this is much better than GTA/Saint's Row and I'm looking forward to expansions/sequel.

Don Peste

Arcane
Nightmare in North Point DLC - 2€ (1,70€ if you have the IGN discount): http://www.gamersgate.com/DLC-SDNNPP/sleeping-dogs-nightmare-in-north-point-pack

Get it Wei! Right in time for the Congress of the Party!!!
Thanks for the heads up on that. Heard it was kinda short and not all that great, but for $2 sure.
Oh! And I've just seen this: Get 5% off any game from @GamersGate.com with the #discount code: G2PO
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=480377078673646&id=203965919648098

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished the Zodiac Tournament DLC. It was only 4 euros, and damn it worth it. It pays homage to Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films (there was even a drunken boxing part).

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Just finished the Zodiac Tournament DLC. It was only 4 euros, and damn it worth it. It pays homage to Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films (there was even a drunken boxing part).

Judging from the trailer it's basically Enter the Dragon DLC which is fine by me,I am waiting for a daily deal during the Steam sale to get this and the other DLC

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Judgng from the trailer it's basically Enter the Dragon DLC which is fine by me,I am waiting for a daily deal during the Steam saleto get this and the other DLC
Yes, the basic theme is Enter the Dragon. But there are parts from other Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies.

deuxhero

Arcane
I liked that for the most of the game you actually didn't kill anyone, just beat up enemies, and that destroying town and stealing gave you penalties.

Yep, this is what makes the second half so damn jarring

I think a sequel could fix a lot of the problems and be a pretty good game for it, the problem is that the Hong Kong setting is FAR too central to the game that I can't imagine how they would do a sequel. Would you be really be able to keep the same kind of atmosphere if you set it in Hong Kong (SAR) instead of Hong Kong (Island)?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I couldn't watch more than the first 8 minutes. This video clearly shows how dumb some "game journalist" are. They don't know how to start a DLC mission, when the game pushes a yellow mission icon into their face. What's wrong with these people??

Ermm

Erudite
Okay, I gave this game a second try, and actually it's a good time waster. Only problem is that the controls are kinda bugged. When I press L-Shift to aim with my gun, I cant target anywhere, except if I move with A or D.
It's a pretty big problem. Anyone knows how to fix this? I'll give my brofist :)

Angthoron

Arcane
I didn't have that issue. And I played with a keyboard, not like some race traitor.

:smug:

I didn't aim with Shift though, think I had it bound to RMB or something.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
i will admit that seeing it installed in my little nephew's PC was enough of a turn off, considering the titles he usually gets to play..but it seems as if i should actually have a second look..after i finish Arcanum..again..

Lightknight

Liturgist
The enemies are very much into "attack the MC one at a time".
Not STRICTLY true, however if two enemies are attacking you, and you countered one - the game just doesnt register attack from the second one.
All'n'all, combat is very satisfying, its much better than Batman one, not being a combo masher and stuff, but lack of interesting enemies undermine it completely.

Two biggest flaws are
Pretty much. Yet, sticking out of a passenger seat with a machinegun and shooting up cars in slo-mo while wearing monk robes is fucking aaaawesoooome !!! That Dogeyes mission was pure awesomeness, it had it all, on foot chases, boat chases, combat, shootouts, car chase-slash-shootout...man ! How come no other GTA-game realise that shooting while driving is only ever enjoyable in slo-mo ?

Just finished the Zodiac Tournament DLC.
Somehow nobody brings to attention that they even add those silly snappy fighting sounds from kung-fu movies when you hit someone.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So is there any remotely interesting stuff to do in the free-roaming world, or is it just mission after mission ? My biggest gripe with GTA4 was that outside the main missions you had nothing fun to do, and my greatest enjoyment out of previous GTA games was exploring and doing various stuff outside of main missions.

Also how well is the city area developed ? In most GTA games areas have enough variety and detail so after a while you can actually find your way around without even using the GPS. I remember that the first True Crime game had an atrocious cityscape with identical copy-paste districts. I never bothered with any TC sequels.

I didn't find side content to be any fun. Except for maybe drug busts because they required beating up a lot of dudes. The only thing SD has that is "better" is melee combat system, which never was important part of GTA. And that combat system is a shittier version of the one Batman Arkham games anyway. If comparing to GTA4 - world detail is worse, driving is much worse (pretty much every car handles the same and has no physics), writing is.. more consistent with the gameplay I guess, in that you get an incentive to not crash into things or kill pedestrians during missions, but give me GTA4 characters over this any day. Controls are worse too, be it running around or shooting. Graphics are much better up close but it has a lot lower level of detail and draw distance than GTA4, and forces on you horrible depth of field to hide it.
It's a decent enough game to play through for free (just be careful not do install cheat DLC's), but GTA4 with all its flaws is still miles ahead of this.

anus_pounder

Arcane
So is there any remotely interesting stuff to do in the free-roaming world, or is it just mission after mission ? My biggest gripe with GTA4 was that outside the main missions you had nothing fun to do, and my greatest enjoyment out of previous GTA games was exploring and doing various stuff outside of main missions.

Also how well is the city area developed ? In most GTA games areas have enough variety and detail so after a while you can actually find your way around without even using the GPS. I remember that the first True Crime game had an atrocious cityscape with identical copy-paste districts. I never bothered with any TC sequels.

:x Wish I could brofist more than once.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Sleeping Dogs is much focused on the story than GTA4, so there are less side missions. I actually like that, because GTA4 is turned into pure boredom for me after a time, and I couldn't care less the extra shit you can do. Playing pools or bowling.....no thanks. As Multidirectional said, the combat system is a bit less fluid than in the Batman games, but it looks better. The graphics are much better than in the original GTA4. No, Multidirectinal, it doesn't have lower level of detail. But that's true that Sleeping Dogs has lower draw distance. As for driving, it depends on your preference. If you want to drive cars with jelly suspension, which handle like boats, than GTA4 is better. Sleeping dogs has simpler, more arcadey controls. I like the latter more. The shooting controls are not as refined as in GTA4, but shooting is not the main point of the game, you don't even get a gun until the last third of the game. Melee fighting is where it's at it.

All in all, GTA4 is bigger, has a more open world and more side activities, but everything else is shittier than in Sleeping Dogs. :smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Unfortunately, the narrative in Sleeping Dogs is ridiculously weak compared to GTA4 who does a great job at telling a story through gameplay and cutscenes. Sleeping Dogs have missions that seem to imply that weeks go by between them with no explanation, causing a case of the popular video game story sickness "wtf did I miss a cutscene or something?" It's not a horrible thing but it does make the game seem less focused on the thing it's apparently supposed to do better than GTA4: the story. In short, Sleeping Dogs' focus on storytelling is about on par with Saints Row The Third except you don't have as much shit to do in between it.

Also the PC port is mediocre with major control problems.

Lightknight

Liturgist
The only thing SD has that is "better" is melee combat system
And from-car shooting. And voice acting. And dialogue. And not being in the stinking USofA New York YET AGAIN.

the combat system is a bit less fluid than in the Batman games
Batman games dont have a combat system, its a combo rythm grinder in place where combat system has to be. You press a button and Batman does crazy shit, no control whatsoever.

I've watched several LPs by now, where people had major problems with countering enemies on gamepad. I've never had any problem playing with a mouse. It did crash on me, once, over 10 hours, thats pretty much all i can say about quality of the port.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Hell no, it has a very good PC port, with much better graphics than on consoles. I didn't have any problems with the controls either.
I should clarify, I played on mouse and keyboard and Sleeping Dogs have huge problems with mouse input. So every time the game decided it was a cover shooter, things got annoying as fuck. Have they fixed this or are there still issues? Everything else is do-able WASD and action button stuff and it's just damn lucky that shooting guns isn't a huge part of the game. So mediocre, with major problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom