Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sleeping Dogs

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also the PC port is mediocre with major control problems.
Hell no, it has a very good PC port, with much better graphics than on consoles. I didn't have any problems with the controls either.
I should clarify, the gun controls are absolute shit. Everything else is alright and it's lucky that shooting guns isn't a huge part of the game.
I can agree with this.

The only thing SD has that is "better" is melee combat system
And from-car shooting. And voice acting. And dialogue. And not being in the stinking USofA New York YET AGAIN.

What do you mean by "from-car" shooting? I definitely can't agree about VA and dialogue, but if you like it better in SD, so be it. It's at solid enough level for videogame. And GTA is always about USA setting, that's hardly fair to point out as a flaw. But still, what is "from-car" shooting that is lacking in GTA4?

No, Multidirectinal, it doesn't have lower level of detail.

I was talking about overall world detail. You can't seriously think Sleeping Dogs equals GTA4 in this department. In fact I'd say GTA4 world is probably the most detailed I've ever seen in a game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I should clarify, the gun controls are absolute shit.
Thats how i know someone is playing with a gamepad.
Last time I owned a gamepad it came with a NES, so no. I'm actually pretty sure Sleeping Dogs plays much better with a pad.

edit: Also GTA4 trumps Sleeping Dogs in every department. You're kidding yourself if you think it reaches the same level of voice acting and storytelling and world building as Rockstar. Sleeping Dogs isn't a bad game. It's probably on the same level as Saints Row. An acceptable clone.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah well it would be great if it was a clone of Vice City or San Andreas, but it seems it's a clone of GTAIV, so I don't think I'll bother with this one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This shit is closing in on Railworks in the amount of DLC.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So this crap doesn't seem to have windows XP support. Is there any workaround ?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, pure laziness/marketing bullshit, since it has also been released in xbox360 which is a directx9 machine.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Played this game during steam summer sale, couldn't believe how tiny and boxed in fucking Hong Kong of all places felt. They utterly failed to produce a convincing atmosphere in the game. I played up until I finished the wedding mission, then quit. It's a very boring game with little to do outside the main missions unless you like collecting shit for little reward.

baturinsky

Arcane
Yes, HK is quite small. It's so small, that same "parcour course" had to be reused several times over in different missions.
But every other thing is way better than in GTA4. Had not any problems with shooting. You remember that you shouldf hold SHIFT to shoot, right? And when you get extention of slow mo time, you don't have to popamole anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well yeah my point is if there were no DX10 for Xbox then it wouldn't be easier to have the PC version DX 10.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
couldn't believe how tiny and boxed in fucking Hong Kong of all places felt. They utterly failed to produce a convincing atmosphere in the game
Are you kidding? The atmoshpere is amazingly good.
I just didn't like it all. Like I said, the game world is just far too small and boxed in to feel like a convincing Hong Kong. As well as other things like radio stations playing too much western music instead of asian, Triad side quests boil down to just camera hacking and beating up guys guarding money chests/security panels, Wei is an annoying and angsty protagonist who flies off the handle at every little thing, all there is to do in the city is collection quests, nothing to buy with money except clothes, etc. Just felt like another boring GTA clone that fails to live up to its setting and with no real depth to gameplay.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if they have fixed the fixed NPC vehicles. Previously in Sleeping Dongs: police don't chase you, they just float around like buzzards that you can't escape until they get tired and crash to a wall on their own; you can't catch a fucking garbage truck with a motorcycle until the game lets you... the chased fades into the horizon and then slows down to a crawl until you catch him, and then he accelerates away again, this goes on for a few minutes and then the escapee gets tired like the police and let's you catch him (and this was how it went for every damn chase regardless of vehicles that were used).

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
I wonder if they have fixed the fixed NPC vehicles. Previously in Sleeping Dongs: police don't chase you, they just float around like buzzards that you can't escape until they get tired and crash to a wall on their own; you can't catch a fucking garbage truck with a motorcycle until the game lets you... the chased fades into the horizon and then slows down to a crawl until you catch him, and then he accelerates away again, this goes on for a few minutes and then the escapee gets tired like the police and let's you catch him (and this was how it went for every damn chase regardless of vehicles that were used).

You just suck at shaking off pursuers when they are as fast or faster than you. It's hard in SD, more than in most other games, but Mafia, for example, had it as hard. You have to use their speed against them - make them do wrong turn, crash into things, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom