Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Skyshine's BEDLAM: REDUX!

dehimos

Augur
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyshinegames/bedlam

http://www.gobedlam.com

https://af.gog.com/game/skyshines_bedlam?as=1649904300

ed567493a28f901381e5f1e2500746d6_large.gif

BEDLAM

A post-apocalyptic roguelike RPG featuring our unique blitz battle system - Inspired by great games like The Banner Saga, FTL and XCOM

Web: www.gobedlam.com

Steam: store.steampowered.com/app/367600

Kickstarter: www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyshinegames/bedlam

Rock Paper Shotgun: A Chat About Banner Saga-Powered Roguelike Bedlam

Rock Paper Shotgun: Skyshine’s Bedlam Blends FTL, Mad Max, 2000 AD, Chess And XCOM

RPGwatch:Bedlam Interview

BEDLAM is a strategic single-player roguelike role-playing game, created for the PC and Mac utilizing 'The Banner Saga' engine.

The player is cast as the mysterious Mechanic, the last known member of a once-thriving guild of brilliant inventors, intrepid travelers and operators of the rolling fortresses called Dozers.

As the Mechanic, you are in charge of commanding your crew in battles, managing your resources, improving your Dozer, interacting with various characters, and protecting your passengers while navigating through the post-apocalyptic wasteland known as Bedlam.

Features:

• RPG with roguelike influences and features, including randomly generated environments and encounters, meaningful "permadeath", three different supplies to manage, and incredible replay value.
  • Our exclusive blitz battle system! Innovative turn-based combat with swift play, no turn-order, strategic movement and attacks, crew-buffing Dozer upgrades, and tide-changing Dozer weapons!
  • Dozers, the gargantuan rolling fortresses covered in armor and weapons to protect passengers and crew during the journey through Bedlam.
  • Four unique enemy factions: Marauders, Mutants, Cyborgs and the A.I. - all with their own strengths and weaknesses.
  • Double-Down” (a New game+): Travel back through Bedlam for the opportunity to defeat merciless overlord King Viscera and his minions for untold riches... or the sacrifice of everything!

Thanks Starwars and KS Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:hmmm:

It looks like a reskin at best. How exactly is it different from Bannu Saga?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They don't have the initiative order of Banner Saga. So they cannot follow the same problematic formula, where you are incentivized not to finish opponents, while trying to make your crippled guys die ASAP not to eat your activations.
That change alone would be a very welcome change.

The Fish

Arcane

They don't have the initiative order of Banner Saga. So they cannot follow the same problematic formula, where you are incentivized not to finish opponents, while trying to make your crippled guys die ASAP not to eat your activations.

I'm so sick of seeing people complain about turn order in the banner saga. It was one of the best things about the game. First off, leaving units maimed was often incorrect, especially in pvp where you can build characters to be effective while at low strength. Secondly, is it really worse having to make actual decisions rather than just focus firing single targets down like in every other turn based game? If you had played the beta you would realise that gaining a turn advantage on killing an enemy unit just snowballed the entire battle resulting in a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I'm so sick of seeing people complain about turn order in the banner saga. It was one of the best things about the game. First off, leaving units maimed was often incorrect, especially in pvp where you can build characters to be effective while at low strength. Secondly, is it really worse having to make actual decisions rather than just focus firing single targets down like in every other turn based game? If you had played the beta you would realise that gaining a turn advantage on killing an enemy unit just snowballed the entire battle resulting in a foregone conclusion.

Actually, the decision does not come from the turn order, but from the malus you get being wounded :
Having a combat malus by itself when wounded, without the immersion breaking turn order of TBS would have been enough to create the actual decision of not focus firing on the same target. On the countrary, the turn order weakens the decision, making finishing units often counter productive.
The snowballing effect is an inevitable conclusion of willing your early decisions to have any effect on the outcome. I don't see the problem, especially in a single player game, with battles not dragging that long in the first place.

The Fish

Arcane

Actually, the decision does not come from the turn order, but from the malus you get being wounded :
Having a combat malus by itself when wounded, without the immersion breaking turn order of TBS would have been enough to create the actual decision of not focus firing on the same target. On the countrary, the turn order weakens the decision, making finishing units often counter productive.
The snowballing effect is an inevitable conclusion of willing your early decisions to have any effect on the outcome. I don't see the problem, especially in a single player game, with battles not dragging that long in the first place.

The combat was balanced around player versus player play. Both at its inception (the developers first played it as board game) and in the beta (where backers tested it against one another). Naturally it's not as well suited to the single player game and subtleties of the combat are lost somewhat as the AI was never going to be sophisticated enough to provide a dynamic challenge.

The reason I say all this is because some interesting choices maybe don't translate fully to the single player game. When facing the option to kill a unit what you're truly faced with is an option to move opposition units (the ones acting after the vulnerable unit) ahead one turn. Because killing a unit doesn't provide either a massive advantage or disadvantage it means considerations like this become relatively more important. For instance - your high strength warrior varl acts a turn before theirs, if you kill a unit their varl would act before yours, whichever varl acts first has a massive advantage therefore you opt not to kill.

Basically, the power of taking a unit off the field is weakened* and a greater importance is placed on other things like effectively doing damage to their team's health pool as a whole, which is what the game is really about.

Having said all that I didn't mind the system in the single player game and found it fun enough on the harder difficulty.

* though it's still important as many units can be effective at low health and can be used to block movement

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I didn't play the multiplayer much, given my horrible lag, so I cannot comment about that. I tend to prefer simulationist systems over abstract ones (hence why I never was a fan of the German school of board gaming).
But if the idea was not to cripple a player for losing units, I think both Summoner Wars and Heroscape(both are board games) found a more elegant solution (Summoner Wars allows you to activate 3 different units each turn, while Heroscape allows you 3 activations each turn, even if you activate the same unit 3 times, and other 0 times) :
So finishing an enemy unit won't have such a drastic consequence on its firepower as it should always be prioritized, without making you worse for having weakened units.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Did they say if there is some sort of strategic map or is it just an interactive novel like BS?

EDIT: I think see it, it's Bannu Saga with randomly generated content. Could be fun for a playthrough perhaps.

Last edited:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Kicking a dude into the balls in TB is a "unique battle system"? Also sounds a bit like XCom to me.

Maybe read the kickstarter page?

The unique part is that there is no turn order. You can use your turn to move any of your soldiers (like in chess).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Thanks, could be interesting but 99% probability that I delete the game after 1h. The guys look like a bunch of goddamn hipsters who think Shallowrun was a huge success.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Thanks, could be interesting but 99% probability that I delete the game after 1h. The guys look like a bunch of goddamn hipsters who think Shallowrun was a huge success.

Yes maybe they will fail. But backed it anyway because I like the idea and want more of these type of games made.

Game is designed for single session playthroughs by the way so it's much more like FTL then Shadowrun or even Banner Saga.

Behelit

Augur
Its been a while since I've watched a kickstarter trailer a dozen times. Backed.

Wizfall

Cipher
I like everything about it from the gameplay features to the art and setting.
Also the project seems quite serious and with plenty of cRPG elements.
It is worthy IMO to post it as a Codex news, quite sure it will interest a fair amount of people here that are not aware of this thread.

retamar

Educated
Geof Darrow-like art and turn based combat, such a pity that this game is focused on multiple platform (mobile) instead of trying something deeper for computer oriented gamers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom