Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
yeah on that note why the fuck can you wield Keening? The game even draws attention to the fact that you shouldn't be able to

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Heart got nuked, gives you a mortal wound when you first equip it, couldn't be bothered modelling wraithguard and sunder for a fanservice quest?

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
In previous installments you would only get an additional bonus on top of it according to your "class" anyway.
Except this "additional bonus" would in most circumstances vastly exceed your racial ones.

So the end result is slightly less differences between starting characters.
"Slightly"?

It removes any differences but racial ones.
How is it slightly?

But yeah, RPG would be stretching it. Then again that has probably been true since Morrowind and definitely since Oblivion.
Oblivion was a turd game and turd RPG.

Morrowind wasn't less of an RPG than Daggerfall.

fizzelopeguss said:
Heart got nuked, gives you a mortal wound when you first equip it, couldn't be bothered modelling wraithguard and sunder for a fanservice quest?
Also note that Wraithguard was one gauntlet, which would be a bit of a problem with gauntlets no longer being separate. I imagine that no one would want the headache of figuring out what to do in that case, considering that they'd be guaranteed to piss someone off no matter what they did (not that that seems to be a concern).

Of course, not having Keening at all in the game would have been most sensible, but... nothing to be done for that now.

attackfighter

Magister
And the most suitable thing of all would be to make each gauntlet a seperate item and to allow pauldrons, greaves, belts and whatever else that was in Morrowind. Would've given the treasure hunting aspect more appeal and allowed for more customization.

baronjohn

Cipher
It's weird how the artifacts and unique items all suck. None of them are worth using over the super-generic leveled shit you buy in stores.

Well, except the Spellbreaker shield.

Gord

Arcane
I think the Deadric artifacts are pretty neat, it's the "generic" magical stuff you find that is a bit meh.
I'm on level 30 now and still use the thieves guild armor I got on level 15 or so, because I have found almost nothing that is better (don't craft much with my character).
A few more uniques with more interesting effects would help, or powerful enchantments that are hard to impossible to create by enchanting stuff yourself.

Although I have found a rather nice weapon and a staff of paralysis, that one especially was quite handy from time to time.

DraQ

Arcane
Rod Rodderson said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Also note that Wraithguard was one gauntlet, which would be a bit of a problem with gauntlets no longer being separate. I imagine that no one would want the headache of figuring out what to do in that case, considering that they'd be guaranteed to piss someone off no matter what they did (not that that seems to be a concern).
Are both gauntlets automatically using the same model, only mirrored? If not it'd be easy to make a pair consisting of wraithguard and null gauntlet.

If yes it's either cheese it with "O HAI SECOND WRAITHGUARD TURNED UP" which might amuse those who used to max-cheese Morrowind (and would also work pretty nicely if they added Sunder as well - you could dual wield Kagernac's tools), or explaining no need for wraithguard with disappearance of the heart which somehow caused the deleterious effects of keening to fade with time.

Of course:
attackfighter said:
And the most suitable thing of all would be to make each gauntlet a seperate item and to allow pauldrons, greaves, belts and whatever else that was in Morrowind. Would've given the treasure hunting aspect more appeal and allowed for more customization.
This.

DraQ said:
Are both gauntlets automatically using the same model, only mirrored? If not it'd be easy to make a pair consisting of wraithguard and null gauntlet.
I mentioned there being several ways to go about it. That is one, but then you'd get the crowd who hates the idea of having only one gauntlet equipped. And so on for other solutions, like having two of them (although, yeah, it is a bit funny considering it could be done).

And, of course, going back to the pre-Oblivion way would be best, but... we're kinda going in the wrong direction for that (what with the greaves and body armor sections being combined now).

Luzur

Good Sir
the more legendary stuff and people Bethesda can add from its lore, the more epic their games get.

mark my words, in Skyrim II we will be able to summon Tiber Septim and Martin Septim, and control the Numidium as a NPC hireling.

Luzur said:
the more legendary stuff and people Bethesda can add from its lore, the more epic their games get.

mark my words, in Skyrim II we will be able to summon Tiber Septim and Martin Septim, and control the Numidium as a NPC hireling.

Please don't give them ideas. They'll re-skin Liberty Prime and hand it over to you.

"DEADRA WORSHIP IS A LIE!"

tindrli

Arcane
can anyone confirm me what is the latest official version of skyrim patched.. mine is 1.1.21.0.

for all that didn't pay attention for where the game version is shown it can be accessed by presing ESC while ingame so in the lower left corner will be shown

tindrli

Arcane
1.2.12.0, pc & xbox

so how is it now??? anything better.. any new things that you didnt had with last update before that????

i have occasional 3 or 4 sec lags when walking outside and never in fights even with 6 or 7 enemies.. i had no COD whatsoever ..

beside your suggestion can someone post change log???

flushfire

Augur
I'm not that far into the game nor do I play it that much so I can't really say if there's a lot of difference. Bro on the xbox says bookshelves are broken. As for the random pauses when walking outside, from what I read (had the same issue) it seems to be exclusive to Windows XP. Two solutions I tried:

Setting TESV.exe to run in compatibility mode: windows 98/ME (which drops performance) then alt-tabbing in-game, run task manager, set TESV.exe affinity to all available cores (regains performance).

A patch that fixes it, however I noticed some graphical glitches like items disappearing visually after applying it.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Horses are the best mountain climbers in the game. Skipped Ivarstaed completely and just jumped up the almost vertical side of the mountain to get up to the Greybeards.

Artifacts in TES tend to be described as eventually leaving the current owner at random, as if they had a mind of their own, to prevent the need to create new artifacts for future games people from abusing their powers for too long. They probably left the nerevarine because he wanted to see glorious Akavir and they're not weeaboos.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Sordid Jester said:
Horses are the best mountain climbers in the game. Skipped Ivarstaed completely and just jumped up the almost vertical side of the mountain to get up to the Greybeards.
Same here. I didn't even know I had to go through Ivarstead until later.

Neeshka

Educated
I have a fundamental problem with levelling xp in this game.

Levelling skills get slower and slower the higher up you get. And costlier too, if you wish to train.

However getting an addition skill level in any skill seems to give around the same amount of main character level xp.

So at higher levels (say 25-40+), it's easier to just go to a trainer and train an unused skill and level up incredibly fast. Or just occasionally use, say, destruction or restoration magic as a physical melee class.

Is this intended ? Seems like really bad game design to me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think it's intended. But I don't think leveling up too much is a good idea, because of level scaling.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Wyrmlord said:
Sordid Jester said:
Same here. I didn't even know I had to go through Ivarstead until later.
Just got right to the top of the mountain too before doing their tomb-raiding quest. There's a pick that improves your smithing, ebony and malachite ore up there!

Couldn't activate the dragon wall though.

Neeshka

Educated
Excidium said:
I think it's intended. But I don't think leveling up too much is a good idea, because of level scaling.

Well with sufficient perks and maxed out crucial professions like 1h, smith/ench/alch/resto at around level 43 everything i face dies in 3-4 hits and I rarely need to use potions.

mutile

Novice
Excidium said:

Enemy levels aren't scaled.

mutile

Novice
Neeshka said:
I have a fundamental problem with levelling xp in this game.

Levelling skills get slower and slower the higher up you get. And costlier too, if you wish to train.

However getting an addition skill level in any skill seems to give around the same amount of main character level xp.

So at higher levels (say 25-40+), it's easier to just go to a trainer and train an unused skill and level up incredibly fast. Or just occasionally use, say, destruction or restoration magic as a physical melee class.

Is this intended ? Seems like really bad game design to me.

you can only train 5 skills per level and at higher levels you need more skill increases to level up so it will not let you level up fast.

I am such a dumbass. In the first couple days I heard dungeons didn't respawn, and never bothered checking it out on places I'd previously visited. So my newest character cleared out White River Watch (except for the blind guy, he's happy to just sit there and wish you luck when you leave), and deposited my collection there. Plenty of storage and space to display things, a cooking pot and wood chopping block outside, ingredients to harvest inside and around, iron ore, an alchemical stand, a cell and heck, the overlook even has a great view.

I stop by to drop off a few things on my way to pick up Sven and clear out some random hole in the boonies...and who do I see hanging around Ulfr the Blind? More.fucking.bandits. They do respawn, and now I have to fight through them just to get my stuff back. Especially all the choice bits I left in that chest on the Outlook.

:rage: You miserable bandit bastards!

mutile

Novice
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
They do respawn, and now I have to fight through them just to get my stuff back.

maybe they didn't respawn, but under the influence of their radiant AI decided to relocate from another location because of all the cool stuff you left there an obvious example of where skyrim c&c worked well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom