Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

fgFdVRM.png

J5wYtYI.png

TXOixgM.png

Last edited:
On Dragon Bridge, looking for the X of a treasure map I found. Fall off the bridge, my horse is not a pony and we don't soar away majestically. End up nearly touching the riverbed, right next to the chest. I get off the horse and pick the master locked chest surprisingly filled with good stuff like enchanted armor, jewelry and black soul gems, instead of two cabbages and a torch. Horse begins to whine, a slaughterfish is biting him on the ass. I get back on the saddle and storm away. We've been underwater the entire time, so the game glitches and horse becomes Jesus. Getting close to the margin, we hear the familiar "HALT! HALT! In the name of the emperor, HALT! ". Thinking the chest actually belonged to one of the villagers, I sigh and get ready to skip town until they forget the incident.

The guards rush past me and jump in the river, hellbent on bringing the slaughterfish to justice. Little bugger somehow escapes swimming up the nearby waterfall, and the guards decide to chill in the river for the rest of the day.

DraQ

Arcane
On Dragon Bridge, looking for the X of a treasure map I found. Fall off the bridge, my horse is not a pony and we don't soar away majestically. End up nearly touching the riverbed, right next to the chest. I get off the horse and pick the master locked chest surprisingly filled with good stuff like enchanted armor, jewelry and black soul gems, instead of two cabbages and a torch. Horse begins to whine, a slaughterfish is biting him on the ass. I get back on the saddle and storm away. We've been underwater the entire time, so the game glitches and horse becomes Jesus. Getting close to the margin, we hear the familiar "HALT! HALT! In the name of the emperor, HALT! ". Thinking the chest actually belonged to one of the villagers, I sigh and get ready to skip town until they forget the incident.

The guards rush past me and jump in the river, hellbent on bringing the slaughterfish to justice. Little bugger somehow escapes swimming up the nearby waterfall, and the guards decide to chill in the river for the rest of the day.

Nihil novi sub sole.

Caim

Arcane
No seriously, fuck the Slaughterfish in Skyrim. Whenever I try to travel somewhere from any point near a big river or the sea I can't because there's an enemy nearby. So I have to use Aura Whisper to find the git who's in my way, then somehow take care of the fish with some kind of ranged attack. It's just a waste of time.

DraQ

Arcane
The movement system in Skyrim is stupidly limited.

You can't attack or cast in water or while airborne, even though you could in previous games, you can't jump from a sprinting start which is beyond retarded, etc.
It's clunky for no obvious reason.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Skyrim didn't have Shivering Isles, and that's why I prefer Oblivion over Skyrim. Oblivion also had stats, absorbtion, reflection etc. which made combat a bit more interesting. At least for me. I mean sure level scalling is immersion-breaking as fuck, but level scaled dragons getting killed at level 1 are much worse. I mean yeah in Oblivion you can kill king of worms at level 1, but the game doesn't expect you to, and most players will at least gain a few levels before killing him. Dragons on the other hand are killable (and are required to be killed) since the beginning, which is pathetic considering the fact that you encounter non-level scaled giants from time to time, which are much stronger than any dragon you might run into.

Most codexers disagree with you, and Oblivion wasn't as fun as skyrim to me.

But here's a question:

Vanilla Skyrim,

or heavily, heavily modded Oblivion?

No seriously, fuck the Slaughterfish in Skyrim. Whenever I try to travel somewhere from any point near a big river or the sea I can't because there's an enemy nearby. So I have to use Aura Whisper to find the git who's in my way, then somehow take care of the fish with some kind of ranged attack. It's just a waste of time.
I just cast a cloak spell before diving. Flame cloak spellbook is available from level 1 on a dead mage on the beach between Winterhold and Dawnstar.

(yes, I cover myself in fire to swim. Fuck you I'm a wizard)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The movement system in Skyrim is stupidly limited.

You can't attack or cast in water or while airborne, even though you could in previous games, you can't jump from a sprinting start which is beyond retarded, etc.
It's clunky for no obvious reason.
Has Todd told you that it's an engine limitation, yet? :smug:

MWaser

Arbiter
I don't understand. Everything Oblivion does better than Skyrim, Morrowind does better than Oblivion. The few things Oblivion does better than Morrowind, Skyrim does better than Oblivion. Oblivion is the worst of both worlds.
And quite a few things Morrowind does better than Oblivion Skyrim also does better than Oblivion.

Oblivion is just sucking supermassive black hole of game design and anyone preferring it over Skyrim simply shows their true colors as either an uncritical hipstard who operates according to simplistic older==better mindset [....]
Even though I agree with the first part, at least Oblivion is the middle ground with a few things done better, some things done worse, but at least it has magic that doesn't completely blow dicks. In fact, in terms of combat magic (not overall magic, since Morrowind totally owns in this regard), Oblivion's magic is lots of fun, especially when it allows combinations like 100% magic weakness + 100% fire weakness and then another spell like this for an even stronger effect, which works great with the fast casting speed which only Oblivion (and Daggerfall, but let's not dwell on that) have in the series.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Oblivion did a better job of pretending to be an RPG, unfortunately that RPG was shit. Skyrim didn't even really bother much to pretend to be an RPG, and instead managed to be a mediocre action game.

Vanilla Skyrim,

or heavily, heavily modded Oblivion?
You can fix a lot more of Skyrim's problems with mods than you can most of Oblivion's. Oblivion is a decent enough "RPG" at least for the Elder Scrolls franchise, its main problems for me stemmed from how bland the setting was, which is something present in every inch of the game world. You can't really really fix something as major as that with heavy, heavy modding and not end up with a game that isn't even really Oblivion anymore.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Is it so hard for you to believe that some people here actively think Oblivion was the final shitstorm that accelerated the decline to new and unheard of dimensions? It really has nothing to do with fitting in.

For example I think that the main storyline in Oblivion and all the guild quest lines were better than their Skyrim counterparts. Doesn't change the fact that Oblivion was terrible trash, with some of the worst mechanics/setting I have ever seen. The full on level scaling and item scaling is enough to push the game into unplayable territory all by itself.

Lhynn

Arcane
one of the worst games ever made.
If you're trying to fit in on an online forum, sure it is.
The content scales to your level making all rpg systems pointless, the plot has you being the assistant of some retard and the world is a copypasted forest full of copypasted dungeons. Can you stop being a try hard retard you stupid cuck and deal with the fact that oblivion is complete and utter shit.

oh Joined: Oct 7, 2015. explains so much.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skyrim compared to Oblibion

+Land which is varied and looks like home of Nords
+Civil strife and conflict
+ reduced level scaling
+People that don't look like Chernobyl mutants
+improved melee and stealth play
+Horses which are useful this time
+crossbows are back
+Imperials as Romans and not Ren fare cause players.

- more derpy guild lines
- gutted magic
- streamlined attributes and skills
-almost every quest being Epic and Majestic as frack with things like Elder Scrolls reduced to Macgufffins.

MWaser

Arbiter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom