Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Gord

Arcane
I thought this aspect was actually worse in Skyrim, mostly because there are more scripted events. The first time you visit Solitude you'll get to witness an execution scene, but good luck trying to stop it. If you try to interfere, everyone including the person whose life you just saved will attack you.

Actually I think that the guy will simply run away and vanish if left to his own. At least he did the one time I tried to free him.
It does seem to be set up rather stupidly however, as according to the net the scripted sequence does simply remove or failing to do so simply kill him and will not recognise that you tried to save him.

Anyway, I don't think either Skyrim or Oblivion had particularly great quests. Some are ok, but most aren't anything special. While Oblivion might have more variety in that department, I still think that Skyrim's the overall better game, if probably for other reasons than quests.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
For me, the major problem with both games is that there simply isn't a lot of content you'd actually want to play through. Oblivion is mind-bogglingly retarded whereas Skyrim is mind-numbingly unimaginative and generally incompetent when it comes to quest design.

You went too far here.

At least Oblivion had a more-than-passable Dark Brotherhood line of quests. In fact, the writer aced it.
the only thing the writer aced is turning professional killers for hire into a grimdark cult filled with edgelords. the quests themselves, with the exception of the whodunnit one, were also pretty rubbish since you are always told what the ideal solution is.

Luzur

Good Sir
wait what, someone made a in-game explanation for Cutscene paralysis??

I think the point is that Skyrim did it like 4 times and all 4 had explanations, rather than just plot-dump convenience.

well i rather have it be spell infused paralysis by the villain then "im just gonna stand here and watch you murder someone" speil, thats for sure.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Correct me if I'm wrong but actual cutscene paralysis (getting paralyzed because of cutscene and cutscene alone) still doesn't seem to be much of a thing in Skyrim.
It's not, and in some other type of a game you probably wouldn't even notice it. When the game lets you move around completely freely for 99,9% of the time, that 0,1% can suddenly feel pretty jarring. Anyway, it was just a response to your Oblivion example, as cutscene paralysis wasn't much of a thing in Oblivion either as far as I remember. Or maybe I just didn't notice it, and in Skyrim it somehow stood out more.

Still, it may sound awfully ableist on my part but I'd take unimaginative and incompetent over retarded any day, so my point still stands.
I can agree on that. Skyrim definitely succeeds better at what it's trying to do, even though you wish it'd try to be at least a little more ambitious or creative at times.

Gord

Arcane
I can agree on that. Skyrim definitely succeeds better at what it's trying to do, even though you wish it'd try to be at least a little more ambitious or creative at times.

Amen to that.

The Public Enemy said:
crufty said:
Abstractions are a good thing IMO.

Please explain that one more thoroughly, I don't understand.

Ok.

The real world has certain laws, many thousands of variables. One could craft precise models, and generate very precise results, or one could say...we will always have constraints of a, b and c. This eliminates special cases x, y and z. On average, in our model, we have e, sometimes d (left of e) and sometimes f ( right of e).

That d, e, f is an abstraction of a more complex system. As long as the results are, on average, correct, then the complex model can be done away with.

When it comes to games, bringing complexity out to the player can hinder instead of help. What are skills really? Is the difference between 38 and 39 so important? Furthermore, should someone who happens to get to 40 be rewarded with skill benefit if it is not their primary focus?

All those questions are done away with skill perks. If I pick the silent roll perk then I can assume I am already somewhat stealthy and sneaky; that I have focused my training in stealthy arts to be effective in this area, that I have the agility and dexterity required to do this acrobatic stunt. This is much easier on the player, then having to think...ok gotta get my dexterity to x, acrobatics to y, sneak to z, take three levels in thief, all which will take time t....or the perk can be abstracted, so that on average, it takes time t to get there. Same result, but one is more elegant the other crufty.

Perks have requirements, both in terms of skills and cost...If silent roll is fourth in a chain, it effectively costs four levels, with the additional Base skill percentage....I just can't buy it, I have to get my skill to that point, and conciously decide to buy the preceding perks.

That is what I like about the perk system...just because I have a high blade skill doesn't mean I'm a ridiculous swordsman.
Good post. I agree very much. Want to say I'm a big fan of player skill > character skill, if only because it's funner.

There's one thing I want to bring up. Is it possible too much abstraction can make a system shallow(er)? Because I think it's this that makes people worry when stats or skills are streamlined/abstracted/merged. Sometimes there're finer points in separate stats/skills and they get lost if the stats/skills are mixed, but not always.

So I'll say I agree 100% abstraction is good -IF- the system preserves its depth or has as much but of a different kind.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The perks actually do a very good job of making you build an actual class and character type. It's much better than the cluster-fuck Elder Scrolls was before, where you could be the master of everything in 10 levels if you wanted to be.

My opinion is all the Elder Scrolls games from Arena to Skyrim have unique things about them which are good features. The problem is most these hidden gems are buried beneath a landfill, while others might just be at the botom of a well. It requires patience and a steady eye to find these things, but they're there. And when you find them, there's this sad feeling you get. You wonder if this gem you found will be abandoned entirely, mainly because it's so subtle and surrounded by ruins.

Or maybe I just have a mutant eye and this gem I found is just a rock to 100% of others.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I don't know, as much as Oblivion was a worse game overall.... if they transferred over the story content of Oblivion into the Skyrim engine, I would prefer Oblivion. For me the main thing that ruined Elder Scrolls 4 was level/item scaling completely destroying all sense of progression. Honestly the dungeons wouldn't be so bad in Oblivion if there was something, anything unique to fight or find. I guess I preferred the story of Oblivion gates and a cult trying to wipe out the emperor's line over the eating dragon souls BS of Skyrim. Not to mention almost all of the guild quests were superior as at the very least it wasn't always go to dungeon x and kill everything. From the Warrior's guild druggy competition to the sneaking into and around the blind moth monks abode.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know, as much as Oblivion was a worse game overall.... if they transferred over the story content of Oblivion into the Skyrim engine, I would prefer Oblivion. .

Oblivion had simplified guilds, skills trees, introduced quest compass and fully voiced dialogues, scaling to your level and Cyrodil turned into Disneyland BSB land populated by bunch of :outrage: faces morons talking about mudcrabs.... it was game which made :decline: Mainstream in RPG genre. If they did Morrownind in Skyrim engine with perks system and fun to play melee I would be happy Imperial. Played Skyrim with some mods and when you don't touch main quest (by not retrieving stone tablet) but instead doing only Improved by mods Civil War, Companions, become thane of all holds and put Thieves guild behind the bars not to mention slaughtering foul cultists from Dark Brotherhood from vanilla its Good game; not as vast as Morrovind when it comes to content but close. Oblibion even modded to hell and back was :retarded: cause Commissar never enjoyed role playing criminal scum which are two best guild quests lines Blades are :retarded::retarded::retarded: there, there was no political struggle like in TES III and V and they axed Imperial Legion.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Only time scripted stuff worked in Skyrim was in Dragonborn expansion when you bro around with Neloth in that Dwemer ruin.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
He aced it so hard you had to spend half of it with idiot ball rammed up your face.

Also had to hang out with an embarrassing bunch of retarded goth sociopaths, because the writer's brain has apparently blown a fuse when trying to come up with characters for assassin guild
This. I'll never understand why people liked the DB questline in Oblivion. A couple of the dead drop assassinations were actually fun to carry out (but none of them had anything on some of the creative shit you could pull off in the Morag Tong writs in Morrowind). The rest of the quest line was completely, utterly, irredeemably retarded. The only guild quest line that had some redeeming value was the Thieves Guild, and it wasn't because of the storyline, but because the actual quests were among the best the game had to offer. Which may not be saying much, but that's Oblivion for you.

Crevice tab

Savant
I don't know, as much as Oblivion was a worse game overall.... if they transferred over the story content of Oblivion into the Skyrim engine, I would prefer Oblivion. For me the main thing that ruined Elder Scrolls 4 was level/item scaling completely destroying all sense of progression. Honestly the dungeons wouldn't be so bad in Oblivion if there was something, anything unique to fight or find. I guess I preferred the story of Oblivion gates and a cult trying to wipe out the emperor's line over the eating dragon souls BS of Skyrim. Not to mention almost all of the guild quests were superior as at the very least it wasn't always go to dungeon x and kill everything. From the Warrior's guild druggy competition to the sneaking into and around the blind moth monks abode.

Really? Did we play the same game? Oblivion had only 5 'factions' with one of them being the retarded, repetitive, utterly filler filled Arena questline who was blatantly built only for the purpose of bulking up the game. There was exactly zero C&C (even in Skyrim you can choose between two factions and have some small C&C moments in the other questlines), the Mage and Fighter quest lines were as derp as anything every written and most dungeons were incredibly boring and banal with a huge part of the main quest involving going into copy pasted, poorly designed dungeons without getting anything out of it. And then you have the utter gems like the x ray lock picking.

Even worse the setting was utterly atrocious with :outrage: spewing retarded dialogue with the aid of truly terrible voice acting. Oblivion's Cyrodiil had no culture, no originality and no concept other than standard Disney medieval setting. Even Skyrim managed to build a derp viking world that has some character beyond utter blandness.

So no the level scaling wasn't the worst thing Oblivion did the entire game was shit from the begining to the end. Irredeemably so: there isn't one single portion of the game that's good unlike Skyrim who has excellent landscaping. There's nothing to build a better game on. Oblivion also had the greatest decline in mechanics eliminating even more skills and reducing equipment slots and spell varitey without putting anything in their place.

crufty

Arcane
Is it possible too much abstraction can make a system shallow(er)? Because I think it's this that makes people worry when stats or skills are streamlined/abstracted/merged. Sometimes there're finer points in separate stats/skills and they get lost if the stats/skills are mixed, but not always.

So I'll say I agree 100% abstraction is good -IF- the system preserves its depth or has as much but of a different kind.

I agree. Although I would add -- systems can and should be abstracted to be made simpler, esp for Skyrim type games; however, outcomes should remain complex. The problem is when systems are made simpler and the outcome is ALSO made more simple. That is not as fun.

Caim

Arcane
The whole abstract VS realistic system is kind of a mixed bag. If the realism is attainable you should always consider if you want to go through with it.

For example: Morrowind has five different skills for its melee weapons, yet nineteen different types of weapons. Would Morrowind have been better by having different skills for clubs, maces, hammers and staffs instead of just the Blunt skill? I think not. On the other hand, Skyrim takes to its extreme: only seven melee weapon types spread over two skills, which was not well-received.

It's a matter of using your gut to realize when something "feels" right and when you've gone too far/not far enough.

DraQ

Arcane
Good post. I agree very much. Want to say I'm a big fan of player skill > character skill, if only because it's funner.

There's one thing I want to bring up. Is it possible too much abstraction can make a system shallow(er)?
Actually, that's pretty much inevitable.
If there was such thing as lossless abstraction, we'd never get the detailed model we try to abstract from in the first place.

The thing is, unless you have your own dedicated universe, abstraction is inevitable, so basically the game is as follows:
  • disregard anything past boundary conditions (make sure they are actual boundary conditions)
  • simplify within boundary conditions as long as overall behaviour stays close enough
  • pay special attention to interesting corner cases and control - you don't want to smooth those over as the former are likely the most relevant features of your system and the latter determine what *player* can do with it
The last point in particular has around 100% failure rate and it's something that can kickstart a neverending spiral of bad design - take everyone's favourite - HP systems. You start with ripping a HP system from a wargame, units characters have around one dice of HP, which means that pretty much any attack can potentially one-shot them although more powerful attacks have better chance of doing so, so do repeated hits. It's a good system for a wargame, but oops - it turns out that you have locked the control over not getting hit on the wrong side of your abstraction. This means that player can't really do anything to avoid getting hit so survival becomes a game of chance which you can't have in a game about a bunch of characters rather than battlefield with expendable units. So you start working around your initial mistake with more retarded design - by introducing HP on level ups and HP bloat - HPs lose their original meaning as statistical measure and become some sort of retarded not-dying shield, which in turn leads to retarded reinterpretations of HP or gameplay further divorced from reality - the retarded spiral keeps turning.

I'm not saying that perks are bad, but they are added detail, not abstraction.

Correct me if I'm wrong but actual cutscene paralysis (getting paralyzed because of cutscene and cutscene alone) still doesn't seem to be much of a thing in Skyrim.
It's not, and in some other type of a game you probably wouldn't even notice it. When the game lets you move around completely freely for 99,9% of the time, that 0,1% can suddenly feel pretty jarring. Anyway, it was just a response to your Oblivion example, as cutscene paralysis wasn't much of a thing in Oblivion either as far as I remember. Or maybe I just didn't notice it, and in Skyrim it somehow stood out more.
I'm not saying it was frequent, just that when it did happen it simply locked some or all of your controls away with no explanation or warning to keep you from interfering with awesome scripting. It was *more* grating than anything in Skyrim and the simple fact that they bothered with actually introducing mechanical or plot-wise constraints when it happened in Skyrim indicates that it was a problem in OB.

To be fair he's got a point. Skyrim had only a few quests that went beyond the GO TO DUNGEON, KILL STUFF, FIND THING. The Sheogorath quest comes to mind, and some of the master level magic quests.

Oblivion on the other hand had a quest where you sleep in an inn which is a ship, and as you sleep it is hijacked by pirates and sets sail. You have to beat them in order to save the crew and get back to shore.
Comparing some of the Oblivion's best to Skyrim's baseline doesn't really prove anything, besides, even if we want to play this game, this quest exemplifies key problems of OB quest design - themepark of "cool", tightly scripted quest ideas functioning in vacuum without regard to making sense or respecting player's agency.

And how the fuck did they sail past Leyawin?
:troll:

The perks actually do a very good job of making you build an actual class and character type. It's much better than the cluster-fuck Elder Scrolls was before, where you could be the master of everything in 10 levels if you wanted to be.
I don't agree that they do that good of a job in vanilla but mods like Requiem should be a good enough proof of what can be done with this system.

My opinion is all the Elder Scrolls games from Arena to Skyrim have unique things about them which are good features.

In oblivion, for example, this good feature was uninstaller.

I don't know, as much as Oblivion was a worse game overall.... if they transferred over the story content of Oblivion into the Skyrim engine, I would prefer Oblivion.
Except the content was one of THE things that sucked massive balls in OB.
Hilariously awful level scaling was just the cherry on top of the cake.

For me the main thing that ruined Elder Scrolls 4 was level/item scaling completely destroying all sense of progression. Honestly the dungeons wouldn't be so bad in Oblivion if there was something, anything unique to fight or find. I guess I preferred the story of Oblivion gates and a cult trying to wipe out the emperor's line over the eating dragon souls BS of Skyrim.
Except any political aspects have been cut out, metaphysical ones mostly followed the suit and all that's left was running around and closing obivion gates. Ok, the infiltration of the cultists' hideout was kind of neat, you could even choose your approach, but everything else about the MQ was shit.

Not to mention almost all of the guild quests were superior as at the very least it wasn't always go to dungeon x and kill everything. From the Warrior's guild druggy competition to the sneaking into and around the blind moth monks abode.
Nah, they were awful. TG was the only one that was OK, DB had ocassionally well designed, but tightly scripted, without room for creative solutions, individual quests, but as far as the questline goes, you were dragged along with a bunch of edgy morons and an idiot ball forced up your face, both FG and MG dealt around fight against stupid evil antagonists that only existed for the sake of being antagonists and arena was about as fun as you could expect from repeatedly duking it out with different morons in the same circle of bloodied sand.

He aced it so hard you had to spend half of it with idiot ball rammed up your face.

Also had to hang out with an embarrassing bunch of retarded goth sociopaths, because the writer's brain has apparently blown a fuse when trying to come up with characters for assassin guild
This. I'll never understand why people liked the DB questline in Oblivion. A couple of the dead drop assassinations were actually fun to carry out (but none of them had anything on some of the creative shit you could pull off in the Morag Tong writs in Morrowind). The rest of the quest line was completely, utterly, irredeemably retarded. The only guild quest line that had some redeeming value was the Thieves Guild, and it wasn't because of the storyline, but because the actual quests were among the best the game had to offer. Which may not be saying much, but that's Oblivion for you.
:salute:
This.
And creative shit in Morrowind was systemic rather than depending on carefully scripted solution - you could be as clever as you managed to (unfortunately that didn't apply to the AI).

I think that one of the reasons TG was relatively ok in OB was that it was the only questline (apart from the Arena, but seriously now) the esteemed devs didn't manage to cram derpy antagonists into. It still suffered from some massive derp moments, like lack of penalty for killing those blind monks (or them starting to see thing due to ale abuse) or that giant hourglass near the end where they were evidently recycling props due to having run out of ideas, but at least it was refreshingly to the point.

Even the College of Winterhold main questline in Skyrim, which left you with the vague feeling of mental discomfort and pointlessness, was immeasurably better than any of the questlines in OB.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh here comes another newfag trying to get KKKs.

There was not a single procedurally generated dungeon in Oblivion but keep repeating that Hines's (who is dumb ololo) crap about "every dungeon in Skyrim is handcrafted" like they weren't in previous Beth games.

Lets make talking statues that send you on quests to get daedric artifacts that are level scaled to when you did the quest. Also to 'beat' the game you have to complete the same stupid portal dungeon over and over with scaled enemies.

STOP CRIMINAL SCUM!

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Even the College of Winterhold main questline in Skyrim, which left you with the vague feeling of mental discomfort and pointlessness, was immeasurably better than any of the questlines in OB.

Really? The entire quest line for 3 of the guilds in Skyrim is go to dungeon, kill stuff, collect item, go to next dungeon. From you first moments in the College that is all you do in the main questline. That's not even mentioning the actual retarded breakneck pace of the whole experience.

At least Oblivion had some variety, trying to get that shitty ring out of the well, the invisible cat dude who watched his whole guild build be burned down, discovering and hunting down the rogue mage after meeting up with an assistant, creating your own staff after being accepted into the university, also had that one amusing quest where you are sent to recover a book and instead get ambushed by vampires after which you are informed good job the book was just an excuse to get you to do the job. It was all very scripted and no C&C sure but at least I can remember some things from it. Compare that with Skyrim where all I remember is an undead dragon, arrogant elf and magical orb of doom which no one ever explains.

Tired of people saying Skyrim quests lines were better, they were prettier and the combat was more fun especially after mods, which makes Skyrim the better game. The quest lines were garbage though, no variation, nothing of interest anywhere, just cave after cave after cave.

Crevice tab

Savant
Oh here comes another newfag trying to get KKKs.

There was not a single procedurally generated dungeon in Oblivion but keep repeating that Hines's (who is dumb ololo) crap about "every dungeon in Skyrim is handcrafted" like they weren't in previous Beth games.

Technically true.

Instead you had the Oblivion Gates which sent you to one of seven randomly chosen dungeons. To add insult to injury said dungeons are pretty dam similar to one another with certain bits simply copy pasted and less then brilliant architecture. So yeah even a broken clock is right twice a day: Skyrim's faults are many but at least half of its dungeons aren't copy pasted/randomly selected shit.

Also Daggerfall's dungeons are (somewhat) randomly generated.

Really? The entire quest line for 3 of the guilds in Skyrim is go to dungeon, kill stuff, collect item, go to next dungeon. From you first moments in the College that is all you do in the main questline. That's not even mentioning the actual retarded breakneck pace of the whole experience.

At least Oblivion had some variety, trying to get that shitty ring out of the well, the invisible cat dude who watched his whole guild build be burned down, discovering and hunting down the rogue mage after meeting up with an assistant, creating your own staff after being accepted into the university, also had that one amusing quest where you are sent to recover a book and instead get ambushed by vampires after which you are informed good job the book was just an excuse to get you to do the job. It was all very scripted and no C&C sure but at least I can remember some things from it. Compare that with Skyrim where all I remember is an undead dragon, arrogant elf and magical orb of doom which no one ever explains.

Tired of people saying Skyrim quests lines were better, they were prettier and the combat was more fun especially after mods, which makes Skyrim the better game. The quest lines were garbage though, no variation, nothing of interest anywhere, just cave after cave after cave.

Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood quest has almost no dungeons, the Civil War and Thieves quests are relatively light on dungeons as well and the secondary quests of most other factions rarely involve much dungeoning. Skyrim's quests aren't brilliant but they aren't quite as dungeon focused as you make them sound. Also are you truly pretending that 'generic altmer that is supposed to be the uber-Mythical necromancer that somehow frightens everyone despite being totally retarded' and 'hurr- necromancers aren't 100% evil except they are, durr- we all juggle multiple idiot balls' is in any way better than 'mysterious orb of doom is mysterious and various power hungry mages battle for it'. Sure Skyrim ain't Shakespeare but at least the writers started to recognize their limitations and make small improvements here and there (except for the Thieves Guild quest- the Skyrim TG questline is seriously retarded).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Neither game has good quest design.

Shit, even Morrowind probably doesn't (though it gave every quest great context in the world).

Caim

Arcane
Neither game has good quest design.

Shit, even Morrowind probably doesn't (though it gave every quest great context in the world).
Morrowind's quest directions were iffy as fuck. "Walk this way until you find a pile of rocks, then go south until you find the cave. Good luck!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom