Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Xeon

Augur
If you are playing with mods, try disabling them and go there to check if it works.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Neat. My game crashes everytime upon arrival in solstheim, when talking to that Adril Arano guy. All patches, unofficial too, installed.

The unofficial patches often cause problems, so I would try removing that. Also any mods you're using. I play totally vanilla and pretty much never have any crashing or bug issues.

circ

Arcane
Neat. My game crashes everytime upon arrival in solstheim, when talking to that Adril Arano guy. All patches, unofficial too, installed.

The unofficial patches often cause problems, so I would try removing that. Also any mods you're using. I play totally vanilla and pretty much never have any crashing or bug issues.
Use TES5Edit on the DLC and patches. See youtube for instructions because it can fuck everything up.

Thing with Skyrim is it's completely unplayable without mods, if you think otherwise well...
Unfortunately it's also not mod friendly. Good work Beth.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dawnguard only sucks because of the price and the fact they promised "expansion pack" style content. Dawnguard adds another faction questline, like the Thieve's Guild or whatever, and no more. It didn't feel worthy of that expansion pack style price and hype.
I agree with you on the price in correlation to the amount of content, but I'd also like to add the promise of "2 factions!" where the vampire side boils down to a dumber version of the Dawnguard questline (TOOOODD!!!). And a certain immortal follower that latches onto you like a tick, all the time. And the fact that much of the DLC felt like "more of the same" rather than new stuff.

If you like playing Skyrim, it is definitely worth playing though, it's not terrible, and there are some moments/quests/characters/items/areas which I really liked.

In comparison, Dragonborn lumped its already higher amount of content together on one big island, making it seem to dwarf Dawnguard (whose content is mostly dispersed onto the existing game world) even more. You're free to explore the island and most of its content without dabbling in the main questline. And you quickly meet new enemies, find new weapons and armor, enter new dungeon types, loot new ingredients, and hear new music. It feels like a slice of a new world.

So when it's time to release DLC for TES VI, I really hope to see something like Dragonborn again.

:hmmm:
That really sucks. Like DalekFlay said, first disable your mods to see if they are the culprit.

If they are, then like circ said, try cleaning the DLC with TES5Edit:

If you get it to work without mods and you can't be assed to dick around with TES5Edit then by all means, play without mods. It's way better than to get bored halfway through your mod configuration and never play the game.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Behold the megathread - now with a megapost!
:fuuyeah:

Well, put athletism xp reward on a cooldown for any sort of jumping/falling, increase reward for sprinting, increase it even more during combat, based on threat level. That would be start.
Ah, yes.
It definitely bodes well for mechanics when the most reasonable fix that springs to mind is cooldowns.
:roll:

Why? When I would play Morrowind, enchanting equipment with huge athletic buffs, and it was really fucking fun. It's another level of customization/diversity that's missing.
Because build dependent tedium avoidance is bad design and should be avoided whenever possible.

While walking insanely slow at the start is fucking boring in Morrowind, it does make you feel like the Flash once you put 30 points into speed.
Or you can go and get Boots of Blinding Speed right away.
You, sir are a gigantic, metagaming fargoth.

It's like half of those people missed the last 3 downscaled TES games.
:hearnoevil:

Convoluted? jesus christ its 2 tweaks. I think that has to be one of the most offensive comments i have read, sounds like it came from a dev. instead of a cRPG enthusiast.

Haha... and will you make similar changes to every flawed skill in the game. After all, that particular tweak won't address the problems with the other skills; will new tweaks need to be applied to every skill? Jumping, casting, etc...?

That design is nothing but a pile of exceptions to a rule. It's amature at best, an utter mess at worst and does nothing to address the underlying issue. It's convoluted and by the time you're finished patching up the system players will be subject to more exception than rules.

Design should be consistent, not a patchwork of fixes.
This. I have proposed (the first thing I did after joining the 'dex, actually) a good, consistent fix for use-based, but it requires skill to be defined as something associated with activities that can succeed or fail. Jumping, running or wearing armour don't fit this definition and thus shouldn't be skills even though they should be covered by the system in general.

Acrobatics was completely retarded. It's a pretty basic rule that a game shouldn't force you to grind by doing something that both looks retarded in-game and pisses you off while doing it.
IMO it just needs other base actions associated with it, like dodge/roll/sidestep or something. Then adjust gains by action difficulty. Oblivion had dodge but it required 50 in acrobatics, should be lower or just remove the requirement altogether and change the effectiveness of dodge based on skill. I'm sure there are other acrobatic combat moves other than dodging (that wouldn't necessary look too lulzy) but it would need a really improved combat system rather than the 'dual-wield anything' bs they pushed for Skyrim.
That won't fix it being grindable in retarded and uncontrolled manner, and dual wield anything (AKA 'consistent mechanics for wielding stuff') was one of the few genuine mechanical improvements in Skyrim.

I still think Skyrim's graphics are utter shit. Unexciting at the very least in a game about looking around at supposedly pretty vistas.

That's design, not graphics. Also I thought the design was good. The world felt cold, the cities felt unique and Nordish, the wilderness felt larger and more isolated than it was. Even the dragons managed to look unique and interesting, despite being flying cliches. Not sure what else you could ask for on the design front, honestly.
Well, firstly I think the dragons are really too much of a cliche and unexciting. They just look generic. I wouldn't call them unique and interesting. When I think dragon, it's either something like this:
fantasy-dragon2.jpeg

Look how majestic it is, it's incredibly huge but not full of stupid horns and spikes. Yes, it is a beautiful one of a kind picture but that's exactly what dragons should be. It's actually pretty close to Skyrim's design except it doesn't feel like pest. Dragons should be creature of awe, not crawling and flying lizards.

Or I think of something completely fucked up and crazy with an artistic license. Skyrim's dragons are just pest trying to look cool by adding stabby and poky parts on them.

Secondly, (sorry I'm now in the process of playing PST so I gotta bring it up) I like magical effects in PST much better than in Skyrim. Spells should look cool, warm, naturalistic, organic and unique, but Skyrim's (as well as Oblivion's and Morrowind's) spell effects are so boring and plastic, I don't think I ever had that "Oh I got a new spell, I must see what it looks like" feeling.

The wilderness ..well, I can't help but compare it to The Witcher 2 wilderness which looked about 10 times more organic and exciting.
Actually, in terms of visual design, of both the world itself, characters and items, and spells, Skyrim was surprisingly good.
It requires some tweaking to avoid somewhat washed-out, plastic look (thankfully nothing my LCD can't handle completely on its own), but the scenery is nice and has the right ambience, characters look like they should, and spells, especially stuff like lightning actually look like fucking elements they supposedly harness (yeah, they aren't cutscenes, no, I think I can live with that).
As for TW2, it was also a fraction of size and didn't run on antiquated hardware.

Other than the crime against humanity that was the UI, Skyrim looks fucking good and had Bethesda exercise atypical (for them) restraint and creativity when using graphical gimmicks.

Dragons were more of a letdown in terms of their role in game (and limited impact) than aesthetically. I dislike wyvern-like design, but it's been in TES since Redguard if not longer so what do?

Yeah, the Leviathan boss fight in Witcher 2 is definitely better than Skyrim Dragons by a mile.
:lol:

The system is the same in skyrim, just less skills. And it works alright i guess.
You guess wrong.
First, while Bethesda has done a lot to limit grinding they are unable to fight it with any degree of effectiveness after dropping failure mechanics.
Second, Skyrim has no athletics.

C) make it only dependent on a governing stat - this seems the best solution, while not requiring retarded behavior you are also given an opportunity to upgrade your character and support your playstyle (which is uuh, I guess man-who-jumps-on-rocks-to-not-get-killed-by-angry-boars)
This is the most natural way. It makes sense, integrates ability into low-level mechanics, is fine-grained and impervious to grind - what more can one wish for?

increase the base value of your jumping height to an acceptable level. increase rate at which it improves, decrease benefits from having it high.
What is acceptable level? Is it the same as worthwhile level?
Why increase the rate? So that everyone can have 100 Acr faster?
Finally, if you decrease benefit from having a high stat level, you might as well just remove high stat levels altogether.
Has Deus fucking Ex and its completely worthless master skills taught you people nothing?

just modifiying a couple numbers can fix it.
Problem isn't with numbers so you can't fix it with numbers.
Problem isn't with the rate of skill increase or magnitude of skill's influence.

It's with the fact that system has no way of telling what constitutes challenge if the skill cannot fail, with the fact that every build is going to pump-up stuff like athletics or acrobatics and with the fact that it's essentially free lunch.
If you play a game like this for hundreds of hours - and let's not forget that was the scenario you were responding to - then such a reaction is hypocritical to the max.
This. I pirated Skyrim, because I'd have to be crazy to just buy anything by Bethesda after Oblivion.
I discovered it was actually enjoyable (if horrible mess) even in vanilla, and not in a guilty pleasure way, as well as massive incline from Oblivion in all aspects but mechanical complexity, so I bought it.
Then I modded it and never looked back.

Just imagine sex scenes with Bethesda animations. This should spawn loads of YouTube videos.
Radiant AI dialogue initiates mid-intercourse.
Ok, I have reconsidered - Beth should definitely add sex to their next game. Doing otherwise would be a crime against lulz.
Clearly you haven't played Oblivion.
Oh I did, and that game was way better than its sequel.
So who's the plain old retard here again?
:roll:

So please enlighten me, what TES game had better dungeons than Oblivion?
All of them?

Every single one of the remaining TES games curbstomped oblivion in at least one important aspect of dungeon design andd I'd rather have game excel at something even at the cost of sucking at something else, than be all around mediocre.
Oblivion was the epitome of mediocrity, dungeons included.

You want scale and complex layout? Daggerfall has oblivion soundly trounced, you could actually get lost in the dungeons there. True, it's dungeons were repetitive and devoid of context, but so were Oblivion's.
You want shit setting one dungeon apart from another? Morrowind and Skyrim shit on oblivion high from the heavens. Yeah, MW's may be (on average, largest dungeons are actually big) smaller and Skyrim's more linear, but at least you don't feel like you're going through the same room over and over.
You want unique loot and stuff to actually find? Morrowind, duh - no 'but's here.
You want gameworld context and stuff being connected with each other? Morrowind and (to a lesser degree) Skyrim.
You want z-axis and layout that's more than just a graph? Morrowind, Skyrim and Daggerfall will serve you better.

So, in short Oblivion's dungeons are about as bland and repetitive as Daggerfall's, on average almost as small as Morrowind's and often not much less linear than Skyrim's. Yay?
So, just like in Morrowind, huh? Dwemer ruin - after a cultist fortress - after a cave - after another dwemer ruin.
Actually, no, not like Morrowind.
In Morrowind you can have underwater grotto or mine unexpectedly break into caved-in dwemer ruin, or find a tunnel linking daedra infested (and devastated - environmental storytelling) tomb with a daedric ruin. Entering a cave doesn't mean it will stay a cave.
Not to mention Morrowind has more tilesets.

And bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. More repetitive content means more boredom. There is a reason why small dungeons are meant to be small. Oblivion's longer crawls only expose the shittiness of level scaling and lack of creativity on part of the devs, while the larger dungeons can't match stuff like Anudnabia, Urshilaku burial, Ibar-Daad, Indoranyon, Hlormaren, Berandas, Kogoruhn, Tukushapal and so on from Morrowind.

Anyway, regarding Skyrim's dungeons, most of them are atrociously linear (although they tend to have some unique and memorable aspects, to help make them distinctive), but this ignores exterior hostile areas and isolated exteriors accessed through dungeons. While technically not dungeons, they serve the same purpose and are often excellently designed, with fair degree of nonlinearity or at the very least allowance for sequence breaking. They really shine with mods making the combat itself non-trivial (like Requiem) which is more than can be said of anything in oblivion.

The problem with Skyrim's writing is the absolute lack of originality and inspiration, making every quest completely forgettable in the long run. For example, Oblivion had this quest about a painter trapped in his painting by a magical brush he was using, which shows that writers of Oblivion at least had some creative aspirations for their game to stand out and be original.
Yay for random, completely out of context shit and one blatant Lovecraft homage. Very creativity. Much inspired.

To me, the problem with Oblivion isn't the size of the dungeons, as I admit I enjoyed the very first one I explored. The problem is that the architecture never changes, and so every dungeon feels quite similar to the last. The same is the trouble with the cities in Oblivion with the exception of that of the Nord. Morrowind did a great job of creating areas that seemed to have a culture and life quite distinct from other slices of the island continent. Oblivion just felt vanilla in every single way, from it's white stone cities and ruins, to the voice actors used to voice dozens of supposedly unique residents, it's Groundhog's Day closing-the-portal quests, and down to the items that could be found and employed. Oblivion wasn't a good game. However, it is a fantastic mod generator, and it is the mod community that saves it.

I haven't played Skyrim yet, so I cannot yet comment on its charms and quirks, but maybe one day. Just not one day soon.
:bro:

At the very least Skyrim does feel like a place, though maybe not to the extend Morrowind does.
(...) although MW too got a bit lazy with the main quest in some parts (for instance, you could "fail" the main quest by killing a seemingly unrelated slave trader who would play a very small part in a later part of the main quest and whose death should in no way hinder you).
Well, there were ways around that as well. You could always do a backpath, you could do the nerevarine/hortator shortcut. Other than through a bug (like the one with Dwemer Coherer) it was hard to break quests in MW.
The main quest and the guild questlines would need total overhauls, though, because of the constant railroading.
The best overhaul would be getting rid of railroading - just mapping out the actual critical sections of the storylines, and leaving the rest freeform.
Oh FFS, I linked representative dungeons and lists of dungeon maps for both games, but you seem not to bother to at least skim through them. Yes, Morrowind had a few huge-ass dungeons but I was talking about average size of dungeons
Which no one fucking cares about.

Because after playing a huge game, what really stays in your memory is the very best. And oblivion's very best is every other TES game's mediocre.
If anything banalshitboring dungeons being smaller in Morrowind means bigger percentage of dungeon content being devoted to large and interesting ones, which is an undeniable plus.

Skyrim's world pretty decent? Oh wow you have some low standards.
Anyone who hasn't recoiled in shock and ran away in gibbering terror after seeing oblivion's world doesn't get to talk about anyone else's low standards. Sorry.

Skyrim is exactly as diverse as Oblivion, only with a viking theme.
It's already less generic because of that. Additionally, it doesn't actively piss all over its own lore, has some structure to it rather than just dungeons using tileset X populated by Y dotting the forestmeadow (Orc strongholds, Khajiit caravans, landmarks, fucking Forsworn, etc.).

It's exactly the opposite, "quest design" refers to mechanics of the quest while "writing" refers to its presentation, and it's exactly presentation that made Oblivion's quest somewhat float as quest design in Oblivion and Skyrim are identical, i.e. beyond shitty. They all boil down to most primitive fetch quests, so the only thing that can give them some value is writing. And sorry, but Skyrim's writing... Every single line the NPCs say when you pass them in the city is facepalm-inducing inanity. You really, really can't sink lower than that in a video game.
Let me try:
While gossiping about Mandill random IC citizen said:
I understand he'll teach others to pick locks. If everyone knew how, we wouldn't have to carry around so many keys.
Bang. Dead.

This is the 0 fucking K of game writing scale.
You can't physically go any lower.
And it's Oblivion, obviously.

mages guild being the worst offender
MG's problem is just that it doesn't hold water logically. The whole arc has no reason to be allowed to happen by you know who.

Last edited:

Revenant

Entering a cave doesn't mean it will stay a cave.
:hero:
Clearly an indication of a superior game. As for your extended Skyrim fanboyish sperging, this is all I have to reply: you bought, played, enjoyed and are defending a game with linear corridors for dungeons. You accepted Bethesda's consoletarded cock up your arse and are now trying to convince other people to take it too, well no thanks and just go back to playing your casual shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Clearly an indication of a superior game. As for your extended Skyrim fanboyish sperging, this is all I have to reply: you bought, played, enjoyed and are defending a game with linear corridors for dungeons. You accepted Bethesda's consoletarded cock up your arse and are now trying to convince other people to take it too, well no thanks and just go back to playing your casual shit.

No one ever said Skyrim was perfect, edge-master. The dungeons are indeed way too fucking linear (as were Oblivion's if we're being honest). They were interesting though, and well designed as linear levels. In any case I would agree Oblivion had better dungeons than Skyrim, just not better than Morrowind or what I remember of Daggerfall.

In any case the dungeon debate really misses the point for me personally. I play all three games for the world design, lore and exploration, all of which Skyrim did ten times better than Oblivion (and Morrowind did ten times better than both). It's that simple for me.

Revenant

They were interesting though, and well designed as linear levels.
:lol: :popamole: much?

I play all three games for the world design
Morrowind had pretty interesting world design, yes. However, what world design can we talk about in both Oblivion and Skyrim? Both their worlds are just hiking sim environments. Really, I don't recall any noteworthy landmarks whatsoever from neither Oblivion nor Skyrim.

Banalshitboring TES lore. Again, Morrowind was slightly better here, but Oblivion's generic medieval fantasy is actually preferable to me than completely retarded viking theme park of Skyrim (not to mention Bethesda was desperate to jump the mainstream bandwagon of Dragon Age/Game of Thrones here).

exploration
I guess this can be included in world design, but what is there to explore in Skyrim? Nordic meadow, nordic forest, nordic tundra, then another nordic meadow? Yawn.

Yes, I know all this is just picking on someone's personal preference, but in my opinion it takes a really boring person to enjoy anything TES games have to offer. These games are just so bland and soulless, just like the people who seem to enjoy them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I know all this is just picking on someone's personal preference, but in my opinion it takes a really boring person to enjoy anything TES games have to offer. These games are just so bland and soulless, just like the people who seem to enjoy them.

Man you just cranked the edgy-o-meter to lesser-race pacification levels. Did you flex muscles when you typed that? Did your dick get a little hard at the idea of the lesser races who enjoy these games looking up to you on high, on your mountain of gold?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Listen bro, Skryim is not boring. Go enjoy your pretentious RPGs if you want, but you look like a fool arguing when you're so obviously wrong. Skyrim is a HUGE improvement over Oblivion, and i enjoyed Oblivion. Go be ridiculous somewhere else.

Lhynn

Arcane
DalekFlay defending linear and repetitive dungeon level shitty design. :what:

What the fuck mang, i thought we were friends, how can you do this to me?
Some of the dungeons in skyrim werent that bad tho. There were a couple with multiple entrances and alternative paths that were almost decent, but you could be forgiven for never actually finding one, as they were very rare.
Other than that the tiny amount of enemy variety shits all over their dungeons as well.

circ

Arcane
All Skyrim dungeons are shit. I probably haven't been to ALL of them, but of the ones I've seen, the design has been linear and uninspiring. Who cares about Oblivion? In Skyrim's defense though, with texture and mesh replacers, atleast a few of them look good. And seeing my ragdoll swing his dick extension around in pretty dungeons seems to be enough for me from time to time.

Lemming42

Arcane
Old image, but:
mAjXr0l.jpg

That said, some of the dungeons in Skyrim managed to have some cool stuff going on. I can't remember the name of it, but there was a Dwemer ruin which began with you getting trapped in a cage, the floor of which then collapsed and sent you down a huge tunnel leading into an underground lake. Then you had to climb out, and there were multiple cave systems leading to different areas of the world map and/or other dungeons. That was fantastic, it's a shame the dungeons couldn't be that consistently good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People enjoying boring shit deserve to be mocked.

Since you included Morrowind in your statement and it's like #7 on the Codex top RPGs, I guess you find the majority of people here boring. One wonders why you joined and keep posting.

DalekFlay defending linear and repetitive dungeon level shitty design.

I did? Pretty sure I just wrote they're probably the worst in the series.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
That Dwemer dungeon in Dragonborn where you derped around with Neloth was cool. In fact all Dragonborn dungeons were better than the crap in Bloodmoon.

Lhynn

Arcane
DalekFlay defending linear and repetitive dungeon level shitty design.

I did? Pretty sure I just wrote they're probably the worst in the series.
You said "They were interesting though, and well designed as linear levels.". But they werent, even for their linear nature which should allow for interesting moments they fail to deliver. Every room is just another room with another draugr, heck i was happy to play the shitty vampire dungeons just to mix it up a tiny little bit, given that they are a bit rare.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom