Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Skyrim Thieve's Guild has some really nice sneak missions too, like the big opener at the bee farm.

hakuroshi

Augur
Skyrim Thieves Guild had some nice quests. What I found hilarious is the attitude "Let's sit on our asses, wonder why there is no riches, and complain about decline".

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim Thieves Guild had some nice quests. What I found hilarious is the attitude "Let's sit on our asses, wonder why there is no riches, and complain about decline".
It did have a couple of decent quests, the Dwemer museum one being one of the best in the game. Shamus Young did a fairly good job in explaining why the actual story sucks.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The story did kind of suck.

None of the guilds had a great story, really. I don't think they did in Oblivion either though, outside perhaps the Dark Brotherhood.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
My biggest gripe with the guilds in Skyrim was that none of them made you feel like you were working for what you received at the end. You're a new guy who shows up and five quests later takes over management of the guild. Even Oblivion at least made you feel a little bit like you had to work for your position, even though the stories were also shit there.

My nephew started playing Oblivion a short while ago, he seems to like it a bit more than Skyrim apart from the graphics. When I visited them last week, he was going through the first Oblivion Gate with a level 1 argonian kind-of-battlemage clad in iron armor and wielding a steel sword (for some reason scamps take longer to kill than dremora warriors). Now he's trying to join the Mages Guild because I told him about the spellmaking altar. The quest compass is pretty useful for him since he doesn't understand anything of the dialogue. And not understanding anything of the dialogue is pretty useful for him since he doesn't have to deal with it.

(the compass is inactive inside an Oblivion gate so we were stumped for a bit)

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
With the guilds, aside from not the best writing, the biggest problem is that the PC is forced down a certain path that has nothing to do with the purpose of joining the guild.

With the TG you have to sell your soul to Nocturnal, FG you must become a wolfie. It's like the writers of those quest lines were very proud of them( and it shows with Brynjolf being the most immune NPC in the game), but don't get that the lack of player agency along bad writing and lack of legit explanations for those actions are frustrating.

Skyrim is doing better in the Daedric quests though. They have a surprising amount of choices there( compared to Oblivion).

Turjan

Arcane
Brynjolf. The first time I came to Riften, it was at night. I went to the tavern, and there was some exposition going on in the center of the room. But I didn't hear anything, as Brynjolf was jumping on me and chewed my ear off. Talk about obnoxious. A very heavy-handed way to start a quest.

Delterius

Arcane
The funny thing about the only guild questline I did in Morrowind, Mage's Guild, is that the whole game you've got this pathetic excuse for a Head of a faction and when you take it all over it isn't nearly as jarring when you aren't really beholden to, you know, leading the guild. Its not like the previous guy did it, anyway.

And not understanding anything of the dialogue is pretty useful for him since he doesn't have to deal with it.

Native speakers will never understand this bliss.

Yeah, when my nephew played Skyrim she marvelled at the most banal things. Like throwing fire at people. I mean, she's 6. Tells you a lot about the world.

Lemming42

Arcane
I hated the Companions quest line just for the werewolf crap. It barely makes sense, I didn't want to be a werewolf (but couldn't proceed otherwise), and there's no option to join the Silver Hand who seemed way cooler than the lame Companions.

Also equally annoying is that there's no way to fight the Thieves' Guild. Mjoll or whatever she was called makes a big deal about eradicating them, you hear a lot of shit about how they're in decline and could be wiped out forever, but you have no option to actually follow through on it. Felt really half-finished.

On the other hand, though, I was impressed with the ability to wipe out the Dark Brotherhood. Especially when Astrid says "YOU CANNOT LEAVE THE ROOM UNTIL SOMEONE DIES", the game actually acknowledges if you decide to make her that person.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Also equally annoying is that there's no way to fight the Thieves' Guild. Mjoll or whatever she was called makes a big deal about eradicating them, you hear a lot of shit about how they're in decline and could be wiped out forever, but you have no option to actually follow through on it. Felt really half-finished.
I think there's a mod that lets you do this, if you get the urge.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I hated the Companions quest line just for the werewolf crap. It barely makes sense, I didn't want to be a werewolf (but couldn't proceed otherwise), and there's no option to join the Silver Hand who seemed way cooler than the lame Companions.

Does it force you? I chose yes the first time but I assumed choosing no would work. Guess not.

Lemming42

Arcane

Does it force you? I chose yes the first time but I assumed choosing no would work. Guess not.

Saying no does allow you to leave, but they just say "WELL WE'LL WAIT HERE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND" and the quest hangs unfinished in your journal forever until you go back and choose yes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Saying no does allow you to leave, but they just say "WELL WE'LL WAIT HERE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND" and the quest hangs unfinished in your journal forever until you go back and choose yes.

Well that's fucking gay. Weird that a game allows you to totally destroy one guild rather than finish it, and which allows you to choose between vampire or vampire hunter in the expansion, but then in another guild force being a werewolf on you.

Different people on the dev team worked on different guilds, iirc. You'd think they'd be more organized but on the other hand this shows they have some degree of freedom designing quests.

Yeah, when my nephew played Skyrim she marvelled at the most banal things. Like throwing fire at people. I mean, she's 6. Tells you a lot about the world.

nephew: "So this Oblivion plane is basically hell, right?" *ruffles through a burnt corpse*

Me: "Yes, but there are some Oblivion planes that don't look like hell"

him: "A hell that doesn't look like hell?" *raises eyebrow*

me: "No, I mean, this plane looks like hell because the boss is a bad guy. Other planes look nicer, even though they are also called Oblivion planes"

him: "Nice. Can I enter these places?"

me: "...No. All the planes in the game look like hell."

him: "Oh." *laughs*

Sometimes I forget that TES' lore often has nothing to do with the damn games.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Another massive problem with Skyrim is that the devs couldn't be arsed with the small detail. There is no attention paid to most things. I was playing the game a bit last week and went into a cave near Whiterun where a blind man was sitting in a chair at the entrance. He engages you in dialog when you enter and thinks you are one of the bandits, because he cannot see you to confirm it. So, it seems the cure for blindness in Skyrim is to attack someone, because the moment I did he got up and fought me like any other enemy would.

It's the lack of care about the small things such as this and the way beast races' tails clip through armor that really breaks your immersion. Bethesda really just didn't care enough for things like this.

Lhynn

Arcane
Another massive problem with Skyrim is that the devs couldn't be arsed with the small detail. There is no attention paid to most things. I was playing the game a bit last week and went into a cave near Whiterun where a blind man was sitting in a chair at the entrance. He engages you in dialog when you enter and thinks you are one of the bandits, because he cannot see you to confirm it. So, it seems the cure for blindness in Skyrim is to attack someone, because the moment I did he got up and fought me like any other enemy would.

It's the lack of care about the small things such as this and the way beast races' tails clip through armor that really breaks your immersion. Bethesda really just didn't care enough for things like this.

Well, Boxcars in Nipton found the cure to being paralyzed from the waist down in the adrenaline when his life is in danger. I think it was fixed later tho.
But you are right, lets hope bethesda spends their money on making a cool game that makes sense.

:lol:

He just called me. He's spent an entire in-game day at the bottom of the well during the Cheydinhal recommendation, where you have to grab the "Ring of Waterbreathing" (actually a Ring of Burden) off a dead student's body and show it to the guildmaster so you can prove the teacher handling the recommendations is a sicko. But since he is playing as an argonian, he didn't need to get out of the water to breathe so he didn't get the quest update and thought he was supposed to stay there until something happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom