Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Daedric Quests

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I get that Bethesda thought the voices of the Daedric princes were really cool, but I fucking hate it when spoken dialogue becomes unskippable, especially when it's spoken in a long drawn-out voice that isn't even *that* awesome.

Is there any mod that allows you to skip the dialogue lines of Deadric princes? It's fucking annoying having to wait for the voice actor to finish when I've already read what he said anyway.

Tigranes

Arcane
Mute the thing Go make yourself a coffee. The lines are meh and the voice acting is shitter than shit.

Erzherzog

Magister
Daedric Quests honestly are a big eyesore for Oblivion and Skyrim. Go to shrine -> Get quest -> Go to oversized dungeon -> Get artifact

So formulaic it hurts. I miss finding at least some artifacts just laying around in Morrowind. At least Skyrim tries something in comparison to Oblivion. Typically you start the Daedric quests before finding the shrine. Still though...

deuxhero

Arcane
Even sadder is how Morrowind's Daedric quests were some of the MOST creative. Even the most simple, Azura's, was done fairly well for a "kill and return" quest, with the shrine being noticeable from the outdoors with a unique design that instantly drew your attention to it, and a unique reason, as well as the possibility of failure (even if you had to go out of your way to do it).

Erzherzog

Magister
Eh, not a fan of the ones in Morrowind either.

"This Daedroth shat in my cereal, keel him!"

The one thing I liked is that there was only a select amount, the ones that actually made sense.

Okay, and Boethiah's was awesome.

deuxhero

Arcane
Which one is that?

Even the more mundane find and kill quests were great examples of lore in action.

"Send me my estranged daughter and her boyfriend so I can beat them for eternity"

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
At least Skyrim tries something in comparison to Oblivion. Typically you start the Daedric quests before finding the shrine.
Yeah, but Skyrim is overall even worse. I think I played Morrowind for a hundred hours or so until I even realized there were Daedric shrines, artifacts or quests in the game. That really added a sense of mystery to the game and made it more satisfying when you finally discovered that stuff on your own, through exploration or in-game lore. In Oblivion things were easier since many of the shrines were in plain sight, but you still had to do some research to find most of them. In Skyrim it's just terrible when tons of Daedric quests invade your quest journal immediately when you enter a town, even if you couldn't care less about that stuff. The quests themselves are just as formulaic as in Oblivion, you just don't have to do anything to find out about them.

Wyrmlord III

Formerly Hot Rod Todd Howard
Only Sanguine's daedric quest in Skyrim is decent.
Today I fired Skyrim for the first time in 7 months in order to play Dawnguard.

I was shocked to learn that the Jarl's children were daedra worshippers.

HOW DID I MISS THIS QUEST?!

And who could forget that majestic Unearthing Mehrunes Razor DLC :smug:

What about the Mephala one from Oblivion? I liked how two families began slaying each other, even if it was a typical clunky Gamebryo technical shitstorm. Other than that, I liked Sheogorath from Oblivion as well, and maybe Sanguine.

They were the few sparks of interests in that bland shit. On that contrary, while Skyrim is more bearable that Cyrodiil, essentially every quest is the same "radiant" shit over and over.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
And who could forget that majestic Unearthing Mehrunes Razor DLC :smug:

What about the Mephala one from Oblivion? I liked how two families began slaying each other, even if it was a typical clunky Gamebryo technical shitstorm. Other than that, I liked Sheogorath from Oblivion as well, and maybe Sanguine.

They were the few sparks of interests in that bland shit. On that contrary, while Skyrim is more bearable that Cyrodiil, essentially every quest is the same "radiant" shit over and over.

Raining flaming dogs in Sheogorath's quest. Hilarious. Although the quest itself is a mess, but most are. Oblivion has a lot more personality than Skyrim, however.

DraQ

Arcane
Daedric quests in Skyrim were actually an improvement over... well, pretty much every other game in the series. Some of the quests in previous games were pretty cool (Boethiah's quest in MW in particular, but even in OB there were 1 or 2 more involved ones), but across the board those in Skyrim are more involved, more complex and often feature proper decision points, either between different kinds of reward (Azura, Clavicus, Hircine) or between doing something reprehensible or forfeiting the reward (Mehrunes Dagon, Namira, Vaermina). A few remaining ones also require some pretty nasty deed, but don't give you an explicit point where you can irreversibly turn the quest down.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom