Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SITS Character Builds Discussion

roshan

Arcane
First of all, love the character system!

Now to the point, so at first, I was trying to build my character as a mage. Got intelligence up to 16, and put 4 points into linguistics. However, looking at higher level spells, a lot of them are shapeshifts (which I am never too keen on), plus, a lot of the higher level debuffs are based on occult. I don't see my Moon Lord as a healer casting blood cocoons either.

I had just sort of assumed that just like DND, I would get damaging spells like Fireball or Lightning Bolt. Also, I'm not to thrilled about the various debuff spells, as the counters in this game do not seem to be "hard" enough.

Can anyone suggest good spells to specialize in? What proved effective even in late game battles? Something intelligence based, as I am not keen on putting anything into Occult, and I'd like my Moon Lord to be either great at dealing damage, or debuffing and hard countering enemies.

Now my next option is to cut my losses, the points in INT are not wasted, as I put in just enough to get access to 2nd level spells, furthermore, I've had good success using Arcane Assault to boost damage output. I can envision my character as being some sort of arcane archer, so, I could start working in that angle instead, using bows.

Can someone suggest a good ranged damage build?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm in the same boat, I didn't read the grade 2 and 3 spell descriptions closely enough and assumed we would have a fireball like spell. I think arcane assault on a bow user is one option, but I'm using radiant stave since its an int-based debuff, hallucigen for crowd control and cursing enemies withthe incantation book. I have a bow I rarely use but I'm only level 4.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I noticed that Radiant Stave lasts much longer than the description says so I always cast that first with my Int caster. I got two casters, a Perception/Int one and Dex/Occult one.

The Int caster (Vilhelm) casts Radiant Stave and then Arcane Assault and just attacks (Perception gives a hit bonus to both spells and weapons) with Elixirs. That elixir skill is AoE and what you want to use if you want your caster to do damage. The AoE knockdown spell is also useful when there are group of enemies that are harder to hit (and hit harder). For lvl 2 all debuff spells are Int based so high Int is useful there but this person does not have high enough Int yet :) (soon).

The Occult caster (Main char) casts Eclipse on Tank (Catalina) and then (I noticed although Eclipse shows channeling ray you can cast something else and it stays on the person you cast it on) either Blood Cocoon or Shimmering Scales or fires the crossbow to activate Rally.

da_rays

Augur
Started a new party for the 3rd time with latest patch. First 2 time i went with a simple melee character , heavy weapon , no shield ( Skill were Crit slash , reckless Off and Harbringer ) was having fun. Same with 2nd character minus the harbinger. This time...made myself a ranged guy. pumped Int , Dex and Per. Think i made a mistake tho , should have gone witha bit more Str , but Arcane assault is just great. Currently my crappy bow isnt doing much dmg ( 0-5ish, depending on target ) but with AA switched on , and only 2 points in it , an average of 5-7 extra dmg. around 10 dmg for each arrow that hit at lvl 2-3 is somewhat acceptable. On my 2nd character , ive also stumble upon a recruitable character which was built like this : Melee character , with Crit slash IIRC and AA and the lvl 2 spell that boost damage. God he was crappy....mainly because his stat was Per 11 Str 14 Occ 16 Dex 11. Occ is worth shit on him since the 2 spell he already have are Int based. Anywho , I think im gonna throw in some light weapon handling with my moon lord too .

Spell I really like ( for now ) : MVS goes to : Radiant staves. No channeling , great opening in combat , followed by festering ooze or Foul Creep ( or whatever the name of the lvl 1 damaging spell is ). my caster have Int 16 Per 13 and its rarely missing now , with a average of 8 dmg each time it proc ( magical dmg for what its worth ) I was using a lot Festering Haze with my 1st party , but staves seem so much better, It's the channeling part that bother me. I've yet to check carefully the lvl 3 spells / skills.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Each point of perception raises hit chance by about 4% so it is worth investing into it.

da_rays

Augur
Yeah Per is a must to hit often. I was thinking about pumping a bit more Str in exchange for Dex , But it affect both casting speed and attack speed right? Seem right along with my main character character. Hope i wont gimp myself for late game with this , hoping hybrid are viable. A good test will be Bronze mask and his gang at lvl 3. If i can get through them , ill be good :D

GJIG

Novice
Beating late-game encounters seem to require getting your attack speed really, really low, as it's the only means of dealing crazy damage: by the point you're striking three times a second with unblockable damage with each character, there is nothing that can compare to that. I've run into plenty of encounters with 5-6 enemies with massive HP and massive damage potential that you cannot reliably tank + heal against for very long, you just need to finish fast. You probably could kite them or cheese them in other ways, but that would get tedious fast.

Amplify seems to be the key late-game spell for beating these encounters. Stuff like Fuming Unguent is great, but a pack of say... Harvesters, has so much HP that Fuming Unguent never lasts long enough, you need two mages that can constantly chant Amplify, no matter how long you have to stay in battle. You can cast Amplify the instant the screen loads and never have to recast it again for that screen: your mages will automatically follow your damage-dealers, seemingly never breaking the Amplify effect as long as you don't tell them to do something else --- so there's no need to worry about the long cast time of Amplify getting you killed.

Elixirs seem like the best way of dealing damage: Unblockable Explosive AoE damage which can be combined with Poison Weapon + Herbology to achieve the max amount of unblockable damage. The undodgeable damage from Split Missile could compare favorably, but I find that enemy armor class is far more of a problem than enemy dodge chance.
As such, the ideal party so far seems to be three Elixir users + two mages casting Amplify. There is a lack of healing in this party, but I find it much more viable to just finish as fast as possible and heal after the fight, instead of sacrificing damage to have someone cast Eclipse or anything similar. If one of your characters is getting focused down, just have them run away while sipping health potions.

In the early-game, the key to victory is Harbinger summons (Spiders) + good use of spells and kiting.

Is there any way to respec stats yet?

You cannot respec the Moon Lord to my knowledge, but you can effectively "respec" the rest of your party by just picking up four new companions who you haven't used yet. All newly hired companions will instantly level up to your Moon Lord's exact XP: by the point your Moon Lord is e.g. level 8, you can effectively build new companions into any role, even if they start out with a few skills/stats in the "wrong" stuff.
As such, there is no particular need to respec --- even if your Moon Lord is utter crap, 4 companions + a useless Moon Lord seems more than enough to beat the game --- though I haven't actually beaten the game yet, so I can't guarantee this will hold up in the endgame.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom