Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Silver Style wants Fallout?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Spazmo said:
But the thing is that I've always had a dream of a sci-fi game where you travel around in space and, you know, do stuff. Something like Escape Velocity Nova in terms of setting, although the gameplay would have to be much more RPG style.
We share a dream then.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
HEH. That settles it. Silver Style sucks, and that's it.

While my only encounter with this company has been SOA, I cannot agree or disagree with this statement. I love SOA. I think the damn game rocks. I've not encountered problem one with the game except for minor graphics glitches. The editor is really nice too and very easy to use once you get into it. Who cares that it's a real time strategy rpg post apocalyptic game? It rocks. The RT is manageable since no encounters are too overwhelming like in most RTS games. Plus you can pause and give commands to your units. Pathfinding is fairly decent with one exception. Let's face it: I love this game and I feel that if they could embelish on this, FO3 is doable by them.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I didn't play SoA. Is it good? Is it a typical RTS set in a PA setting? Is there a story?

Edit: Damn typos

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
VD: I really like the game. It's nothing super fancy and doesn't have uber elite graphics, but it looks nice. The game isn't your typical RTS fare. You start off as a small band of people coming from a fallout shelter after a biological disease pretty much wiped out civilization as we know it. Now you must survive, Road Warrior-esque style, and build up your rag tag army. There are like three factions you can join from what I've gathered so far. There's about 20 vehicles in the game and 30 weapons. All based on modern stuff. I.E. - humvees, uzis, etc.

Just check out thisreview and go from there. I liked the game. It didn't do too well over here in the states though. It was a BIG hit in Russia and Germany though.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
You missed the point. This really isn't about Interplay as we all know they seem to messing up big time business. The question remains why are the SS people who are basically trying to suck up to FO fans yet still say they'd have a RT component to a possible FO3? Hmm..

Because they think adding a pause makes it turn based. I've talked with Carsten several times, and he just doesn't get that just because you can set up a pause state to issue orders, it's not turn based. I even showed him Gareth Davies' article on the subject, which explains in detail what the differences are. It even covers the problems with making a turn based system in to real time, and why real time doesn't work well with ranged firing and to-hit rolling.

As for TOEE being proof of TB games being great sellers; do you have any evidence that it was anything more than an adequate financial success? Comparing a DnD game - tb or rt - to silly games like that proves nothing. I;d wager POR2, and IWD2 also squashed those games to bit.

PoR2 did, but IWD2 didn't. IWD2 was a DISASTER in terms of sales. It just flopped, but not as hard as Lionheart flopped.

The problem is that publishers only look at what makes money. They look at something like BG, NWN, Diablo 2, or KotOR and notice they sell really well. So, they want to make a game like those. They don't look at Harbinger, Throne of Darkness, Lionheart, IWD2, and so on, which are the copies of the above games which bomb BAD. Harbinger bombed even though it was a budget title.

I'm not so sure Prince of Qin bombed, though. It's got more forum activity than any of the other Strategy First games, and there's a lot of unique people on that forum, though I've never actually looked up the data for it. Prince of Qin didn't really have to do well in the United States either, because it was successful in Asia.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Some of the propaganda for The Fall tries to present their RT-pause system as "nearly turnbased", which it just isn't. I've not argued the point with him so my perspective comes from the material for the Fall article I worked on rather than an actual conversation. It was my impression he knows full well what TB is - but believes a RT system will find a publisher more readily. The rest is just trying to sell the system to strategy and TB fans.

At any rate, The Fall is due late March (*if* it's on time) and we'll get to judge the result then (not in terms of TB combat but dialogue, quests etc etc). I suspect that's long before we'd hear anything definitive on SS buying the Fallout license.

Araanor

Liturgist
SS haven't shown they have the right ideas about Fallout, hell, they're on the clueless bus as far as combat modes go. The Fall will give them their chance of showing if they are on the right track as far as RPGs go, I have my doubts.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I will mention that both SoA and Gorasul were forced out the door when they were 50%-70% finished. That is perhaps the reason they weren't as good as they could have been. The European territories got the best end of the deal, since they recieved the completed version of SoA, while America did not.

Briosafreak

Augur
Carsten doesn`t know exactly what TB is, that`s true, but the people working for him and that could work with him in the future surely know, there`s no problem about that.

But is Silver Style the only company with plans for the Fallout license?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
SS listens to their fans, and that's the most important thing about all this. And with the strong fan-base that Fallout has, I don't see a problem. I'm all for SS getting the license. If they screw the pooch, well then they'll pay the price. But I don't think they will for one reason and one reason only: They listen to their fans.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Listening to the fans could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing. Depends on the fans. Anyone remembers Fallout 2 and all the cool things the fans wanted? Anyone remembers our FO3 contest? http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1974

SS is already making a PA game, what do they need another one for? Gorasul as in the only actual RPG that they made sucked big time, may be they rushed it may be they screwed it, the fact that it was not very good remains. Like I said before, their intention to listen to the fans is irrelevant, it's their ideas and vision of FO3 that count. Have they said anything specific yet?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Nah. They're just talk right now. We'll have to see. When it comes down to it, I don't really care who does the damn thing as long as it gets done and done right. Troika, Strategy First, SS, or even JoWood. Who really gives a rat's ass as long as it's good. I just don't wanna see BIO get ahold of it and do it NWN style. :shock:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, I do care because there is a difference between FO3 done right and completely fucked up FO3. I think it's either Troika (original vision), Obsidian (the first wave of the BIS exodus), or whatever company the FO3 team will end up at. That's what make sense. If we are talking about the license only, then I vote for Troika, if there is a chance of finishing VB then Puuk&Co

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
As someone said once before in another thread: I would rather see no FO3 at all then a badly done FO3. Like I said though, if it's done right and to the fans satisfaction, does it really matter who did it in the end?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
I just don't wanna see BIO get ahold of it and do it NWN style. :shock:

*Epic Fallout adventure! Adventure deep into the lands of a post-nuclear world and complete the compelling saga!

*You, as the Great One, will be given the chance to live up to your ancestor's footsteps in this post-nuclear world!

*Awesome gameplay customization allows you to play as who you want, how you want: new playable races include a Human, Ghoul, Super-Mutant, Deathclaw, Robot, Talking Plant, or a Reaver! Cool beans!!!

*Awesome story which will have you run around looking for four water chips and four GECKs - in incredible 3D!

*Real time turn based with pause battle system makes up for exciting, yawn, er, awe-inspiring combat!

*Gain amazing high-level abilities, such as Divine Sniper, Wasteland Gimp or Twitch Bitch!

*Navigate trough the wastelands with incredible artifacts, such as the Vorpal Minigun +3, the Impaler Vibro-Blade +4, or the awesome Katana of Raining Stabbity Death +5 - your enemies will feel your wrath!

*Access to a thriving player community brimming with hate and loathe against our desctruction of the franchise! Special Edition contains an Interactive Rosh CD!

Vault Dweller

Developer
You're right, Otaku, it doesn't, but what are the odds that somebody does it right? After all, the only game that came close to Fallout was Arcanum. If there were many companies making quality RPGs, then sure, who cares who'd do it as long as it's done right, but the way things are now, there are very few companies whom we can sorta count on. The rest are predictable, Bio would make an adventure game they are so famous for, Blizzard/Flagship would make an action RPG with an awesome skill system, and SS, well, they haven't done anything impressive to show that they can do it, the only thing that they have is their respect for the community which is nice but not enough.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, we'll have to see what The Fall brings. Hopefully SS can wow everyone. I really like SOA... ALOT.

Role-Player: Hahaha! Yeah, I think you caught the essence there. :P

Transcendent One

Liturgist
triCritical said:
Greyhawk said:
I agree so much with what Role-Player said, but what's a twitch bitch? :?

Its what you become after playing Diablo for a couple of hours.

I remember when I first played Diablo, I got all the way to dungeon level 5 in one sitting, simply cause I was so eager to see what was so ridiculously uber about the game, seeing as how everyone at school was praising it like there's no tomorrow. Needless to say, my blood circulation got all screwed up, and when I got up it was really painful. The real pain, however, was in the mind. It was just so numb, that I couldn't think clearly for hours to come!

And yes, by that definition, I most certainly turned into a "twitch bitch".

Grifman

Liturgist
Frankly, if I was a developer, I wouldn't touch the Fallout license with a ten foot pole. Why - because of the baggage it would carry. The die-hards are just too critical - why spend good money for a license when every decision you make will be second guessed, nit-picked, and gone over with a fine tooth comb? Who needs that kind of pressure? You're better off getting a different license or creating your own universe. Rumor is Troika is looking to make Gamma World, another post apocalyptic universe, while Inexile is going to be working on Wasteland, the right to which they have obtained. So I doubt if either of these is going to be in the market for the license even if it becomes available.

Grifman

Spazmo

Erudite
I hope to God Troika isn't making a Gamma World game. I can't imagine why they would want to deal with WOTC and their guidelines again and why we really need ANOTHER d20 CRPG. Okay, Tim, STEAM was a letdown, but you can do better! At least try.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Grifman said:
Frankly, if I was a developer, I wouldn't touch the Fallout license with a ten foot pole. Why - because of the baggage it would carry. The die-hards are just too critical - why spend good money for a license when every decision you make will be second guessed, nit-picked, and gone over with a fine tooth comb? Who needs that kind of pressure?

I'm of the opinion that developers really should start thinking about this. Instead of just trying to lure Fallout fans with a title, those guys should really consider if they can make a game that's up to par. I'm still not sure how heavily die-hard fans' opinions affect the market, but if game makers started to take them seriously, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts games like FOBOS wouldn't even leave the developer's head. But, seeing as 'name-recognition' becomming a big factor for what games are made, we're being forced to watch Fallout's name be stained with banal action console games.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, why I loved Fallout, for me it wasn't really the setting but more of the system. I could handle another game that embellished on the FO series' system and the freedom involved even if it wasn't post-apoc. One of the things I always wanted to see was a cyberpunk game using the FO rpg system. That would be cool. Kind of like Shadowrun (SNES version) meets FO.

So, all in all, while I would love to see another Fallout crpg, I could do with something else as long as it had the freedom that the FO series had. And, yes, I know about Arcanum already. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom