Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Silver Style wants Fallout?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Only one person is acceptable as Fallout Lead Designer.

He must have this name.

TIM CAIN

Anything else is F&^&^& unacceptable.

AMEN

mr. lamat

Liturgist
Human Shield said:
mr. lamat said:
i do believe the fall is real-time with a pause option.

"Novel fight system for real-time and turn-based battles and countless tactical options develop replay value. "

I don't know what it means, but I don't like the sound of it.

hrm... sounds like a realtime system so crack addict fast that you'll have to reload twenty times just to win a single battle, hence the replay value... :shock:

seriously tho' i do hope the best for this game. the plot seems rather unique but some of the character art and screenshots i've seen were a bit hackneyed. there are also a large number of combat skills while the lack of a speech skill is kinda distressing. maybe it could all be handled through the charisma attribute but... i've just learned better than to get my hopes up anymore. on the brightside there are still nice surprises now and then.

has anyone heard more about troika PA rpg?

Transcendent One

Liturgist
It's obvious that now that BIS is gone there's only one company worthy of getting the FO license - that is Troika.

However if this Silver Style is thinking of hiring some BIS people...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I personally liked Soldiers Of Anarchy. Thought it was a decently done game from a no name company. I still play it from time to time. If Silver Style managed to get the rights for FO AND got some of the better BIS staff hired on to work for them, I think they could pull it off and pull it off well.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
<edit> Actually, while we're bandying names around for developers to make a FO3, I'd like to make a nomination - Blizzard, or whatever that new company Bill Roper set up. It'll take them years, we probably won't be able to pick at the details, we won't get a carbon copy game of the first two, but my guess is that it would invariably be something very good.

I'd say give it to Flagship Studios instead of Blizzard. Blizzard's run by the French now and decisions aren't made by anyone working there. The French would prefer to see a "console future" for them - and it's probably the reason why Roper left.

taks

Liturgist
chrisbeddoes said:
Only one person is acceptable as Fallout Lead Designer.

He must have this name.

TIM CAIN

Anything else is F&^&^& unacceptable.

AMEN

i'm curious what his qualifications would be? lead programmer on fallout 1/2 (he was given a design credit on 2, but it certainly wasn't his game)? wonderful design decisions in arcanum? toee?

face it, he's never designed anything worth more than a page 20 newsbit just below the ad for wart removal.

of course, i say go ahead and let sir timmy prove he doesn't know what he's doing and give him the right to design FO3... hehe.

mark

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
TIM CAIN is GOD

Without Fallout there would not be a rpg genre today.

Only games with rpg elements brrrrrrr.

Voss

Erudite
Yes. No one else would have made an RPG ever.
The very concept of RPGs would have been banished forever from the consciousness of everyone in the world.

Please, chris, cut back on the sugar and the caffeine.

Dan

Liturgist
The question is if a small foreign company can handle the pressure of the community.

Any company that gets the license would have a lot of fans looking over their shoulders...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I think as long as they would be willing to listen to the fans and work with them, they might just find things easier than they initially thought. I think they'd work with the fans though, considering. I'm all for Silver Style grabbing it if they can. Like I said, I adored SoA for what it was and think they could do a kick ass job. Especially if they hire on some of the BIS crew.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
taks said:
i'm curious what his qualifications would be? lead programmer on fallout 1/2 (he was given a design credit on 2, but it certainly wasn't his game)? wonderful design decisions in arcanum? toee?

face it, he's never designed anything worth more than a page 20 newsbit just below the ad for wart removal.

I think you might want to pop open the Fallout manual and read the credits one more time. Pay closer attention to the SPECIAL system credits.

Nagling

Educated
Haven’t played any Silver Style game, so I don’t know anything about their skill.
But, if they are able to create a Turn Based Role Playing game in the Fallout world, why shouldn’t they?
If they want to, if they can, and if no one else buy the license, is see no problem.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Okay, for those who don't know who Silver Style are, these are the guys who made Gorasul, one of the worst Baldur's Gate clones ever made.

Check this review, or this review, or this review, or.. Well, it's really shitty. There's also a demo of the game if you can find the English one around, it's completely ass.

I'd much rather see Burut get the license to Fallout than Silver Style, just for the simple reason that Silver Style doesn't know what turn based even is.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Voss said:
Yes. No one else would have made an RPG ever.
The very concept of RPGs would have been banished forever from the consciousness of everyone in the world.

Please, chris, cut back on the sugar and the caffeine.

If you consider NWN to be a rpg then yes i am wrong.

But i do not consider it to be a rpg .

Without Fallout there would be no bioware and no troika.

No sites like terra arcanum, rpg codex , duck and cover , no mutants allowed.

Oh of course there would exist the final fantasy games a people would say

"Yea I have played a rpg I have played Final Fantasy XX ... or Ultima on line ."

Well mayby rpg would exist now without Fallout ever existing but they would not be worth playing.

Ausir

Arcane
Well, Silver Style seem good guys, they certainly listen to their fans. I just don't think they're the right people to do a FO game...

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
A RPG like Fallout is ART.

If a person has created an ART masterpiece will you accept a different person doing a different version ?

The answer for me is NO.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
The answer for me is yes, IF and only IF, they did it right. Just cause someone else is doing a sequel to an original that they had no hand in, doesn't mean it won't be good. Yes, the chance for failure is there, but if someone doesn't do it, then it doesn't get done. Simple as that. I loved the FO series and would welcome a third even if Spiderweb Software did it. At least then it would have decent content. Fuck pretty graphics.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here is my take on it:

If somebody else wants to do a Fallout game they probably want to slap a name on a box. If they like the genre, nothing is stopping them from developing another post-apoc game and this is what SS is already doing. I don't think the license should go to Blizzard or Flagship. They are known for quality and attention to details but not for RPGs. While many people can do a decent FO3, only Tim Cain can do a true sequel. I'm disappointed that BIS' FO3 got canned/shelved but there were too many very questionable design choices already.

taks said:
of course, i say go ahead and let sir timmy prove he doesn't know what he's doing and give him the right to design FO3... hehe.
What's your problem, taks? Do you enjoy to be called a stupid troll that should get the fuck out? Because that's what your post is asking for.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
What's your problem, taks? Do you enjoy to be called a stupid troll that should get the fuck out? Because that's what your post is asking for.

Aw, come on VD. You know as well as I do it's what guys like him live for. They hermit in their mother's basement and have nothing better to do than insult others and try to cause as many arguments as they can. Guess it's their way of getting revenge for being picked on socially at school and their ineptitude to handle said abuse. So, they go online where at least they are anonymous and give back what they were given IRL. I just ignore them for the most part, but sometimes it's fun egging them on. :P

Ausir

Arcane
A quote from the NMA forum:
Hi guys!

Thought it would be a good idea to show up here.

OK, here is our general opinion on FO3 by Silver Style. It makes no sense to buy the license just because it would be "cool" to have it. If we decide to work in that direction, we first need a clear vision of the game that has to be developed and how to satisfy the community + how to place the product succesfull on the market in general. It schould have the spirit of FO1+2, but at the time it has to fullfill modern technical and modern gamedesign standards of the year 2004.

To estimate if it's possible to develop such a game without beeing the original developer is really hard. Like I already said in our forum we're in contact with some of the former BIS staff to get their opinion an that topic.

One thing is for sure: We'll only start such a project if we feel sure about what the community and the market expects from a FO3. If we start with it, it has to become a absolute top-notch product.

They certainly seem dedicated to the fans... That's one thing better about them than about IPLY...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hmm, they are persistent, I give 'em that, they really really want it and they show respect for the community unlike Interplay. I would be nice to hear their ideas and vision of FO3. I mean it's nice to know that they want it to be a top notch product, but then again I'm sure that Chuck also thought that FOBOS is a great game too.

Otaku_Hanzo said:
Aw, come on VD. You know as well as I do it's what guys like him live for. They hermit in their mother's basement and have nothing better to do than insult others and try to cause as many arguments as they can. Guess it's their way of getting revenge for being picked on socially at school and their ineptitude to handle said abuse.
The question is not "why", the question is "why here". There are other places where this type of behavior is appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom