Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Night - new standalone game in the Crown series

troupeg

Educated

A ghost hunting gothic adventure, set in an isolated Church on Christmas Eve. Trapped in a time loop, the main hero (Nigel Danvers) encounters ghosts from various periods of history, from the Black Death to the near future. Use the gadgets and surveillance to learn the ghosts are also forced to live out Christmas Eve over and over. Anger and vengeance turns to pleading. To escape the trap, Nigel must make a dreadful decision, he can exorcise only one spirit, leaving the rest damned forever.

New standalone mini entry in the Blackenrock engine will be released in December, will have controller based controls with free-move camera and good gamer point and click mouse controls with static camera.
Release date is December.

Also he implies Blackenrock will be released before this as he claims it's "TLC 2.5" and how this takes place "after he visits Blackenrock" and mentions how he wants it out before December,

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiospo

Learned
The Lost Crown is a pretty nice game, the next part with new blocks would be much more interesting

troupeg

Educated
Jonathan apparently went insane with development of Blackenrock, so much so that he literally made this, a full on side game in the meantime.

Apparently, according to him, Blackenrock is like 100 hours long with sidequests now. A 100 hour point and click game with sidequests.

troupeg

Educated
https://store.steampowered.com/app/893670/Silent_Night/

Just in time for Christmas, and the Winter Solstice, developer Darkling Room and publisher Iceberg Interactive have released a free demo for Silent Night, the new stand-alone instalment of the acclaimed Crown ghost-hunting adventure franchise.

While the full game is now slated for Q1-2019, fans of the series will hopefully rejoice in being able to play for free for approximately 4 hours with this expansive preview that includes the first few hours of gameplay, set at Northfield Church during an endless Christmas Eve.

Silent Night is the first in the Crown series to be presented in 3D, offering greater detail and exploration than ever before, alongside the brain-teasing puzzles and spooky atmosphere fans expect.

Jonathan Boakes, creator and writer of the Crown franchise comments: “The festive start of Silent Night launches for Solstice, for everyone. New tech, new style, but it’s the same old predicament for Nigel Danvers; who is the ghost in a landscape haunted by the actions of the past. I’m thrilled to release the first part of Silent Night while things feel festive. It’s the first movement in a story that wraps up at Easter. The Winter is long, bleak and timeless.

Release is now Q1 2019, but released a free demo to make up for it.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://jonathanboakes.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-lost-crown-silent-night-point-and.html

The Lost Crown - Silent Night - Point and Click Screens
January 28, 2019

We are wrapping up on the Point and Click 'Silent Night', which has been fun. I've tried to mimic the original 'Lost Crown' scenes where possible, which has changed the look and feel of the game a lot. The demo featured free movement, to allow a lot of exploration, but adventure fans most definitely want 'point and click'.

The game content becomes a bit more profound presented this way; it's easier/better to notice details in static-ish views, and the use of camera angles can be very suggestive. It's easier for me to direct focus on important details, not something that is easy to do if the camera is 'over the shoulder' the entire time.

The game is set over 8 levels, three of which were in the Demo. So, it's quite a big game, with the most interesting and unusual places and characters still to meet. It's a bit of a time travel adventure, with several 'time zones'. To understand what plagues the church in Winter, you'll have to go back to the Tudor era, and seek guidance from the dead. So, same as usual. ;-)

Also, before anyone says 'it's a Christmas game', it's too late: The story in Silent Night runs through until Easter of 1952, taking us out of the dark and cold and into the light. There's even an Easter Egg Hunt, which is a bit meta for me, but there's a grisly twist.

Lastly, an Obituary for my younger sister, Joanne Boakes, who passed away on the 11th of January.

Jo was Takeaway Girl in Dark Fall 1 ("Hello Mr.Danvers! You haven't paid your bill").

Polly White in Dark Fall: Lights Out ("There is no third man...")

Shadowkin Female in Dark Fall: Lost Souls ("Urrrr, hisss, rarrrr")

While playing TLC1 Jo asked me "These girl characters, in your games, it's just me isn't it?", and I had to admit she was probably right! See you in Saxton Jo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom