Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Sid Meiers Starships

Norfleet

super ship? get stealth + shotguns. + the fun wonder that makes you always in stealth, no need to activate.
For bonus lulz stealth torpedos.
Yeah, got that in my first game, the enemy just kinda milled around like headless chickens and died without ever firing a shot.

Norfleet

I have noticed that the AI apparently thinks you are a small child, since it believes that when it cloaks after moving into the path of an oncoming torpedo, that you will believe that ship has ceased to exist and somehow not detonate the torpedo on it anyway.

This trick, of course, fails to work on anything but the dumbest of small children, those who don't grasp that things they can't see anymore haven't ceased existing.

Drakron

Arcane
To be fair its a iPad game Norfleet, thats expected from someone that brought a iCrap.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I have noticed that the AI apparently thinks you are a small child, since it believes that when it cloaks after moving into the path of an oncoming torpedo, that you will believe that ship has ceased to exist and somehow not detonate the torpedo on it anyway.

This trick, of course, fails to work on anything but the dumbest of small children, those who don't grasp that things they can't see anymore haven't ceased existing.

The idea that AI cloaks after the movement, never before - this is beyond retardation in this game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this is a case where designers thought to milk on a dev's name, but failed.
They communicated pretty clearly that this would not be a complex 4X game, and that they would do something a bit more light hearted and casual, for people with a little less time on their hand.
In that, they succeeded, but because it had the name Sid Meier strapped onto it, everybody expected something entirely different. Just look at the Steam ratings. They are incredibly awful for a game that actually achieved what it tried to do.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair its a iPad game Norfleet, thats expected from someone that brought a iCrap.
Starbase Orion is also an iPad game, and it is the best clone of MOO so far, so developing for iPad is hardly an excuse.
I think this is a case where designers thought to milk on a dev's name, but failed.
They communicated pretty clearly that this would not be a complex 4X game, and that they would do something a bit more light hearted and casual, for people with a little less time on their hand.
In that, they succeeded, but because it had the name Sid Meier strapped onto it, everybody expected something entirely different. Just look at the Steam ratings. They are incredibly awful for a game that actually achieved what it tried to do.

But did it?
People are not only mad at it for being a simple game. I think if it had been pirates! in space, people would still have liked it despite its simplicity. The main complains I have read about the game is that it is also extremely easy and offers little replay value. Some simple game can still offer challenge (actually, they can offer more challenge, because the simpler the game, the easier it is to have the AI be able to play it competently) : I was ready to buy it despite the limited scope (I liked Ace Patrol and Pacific Aces), but the game looks bland instead of just simple.

Norfleet

It's not merely simple, it's also bland. The AI is poor, the mechanics are watered down, and even the biggest map is tiny. There's simply no way to stretch this thing past about an hour or two.

The idea that AI cloaks after the movement, never before - this is beyond retardation in this game.
I think the AI just cloaks for the amusement of cloaking, really. He doesn't have enough stealth investment to actually be invisible at a range that I could even shoot him from. So by the time I'm close enough to actually shoot him anyway, I'll see him. Except maybe vs. torpedoes, but with torpedoes, I don't need to SEE it to shoot it. Most of my torpedo kills are from saturation bombardment anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom