Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Sid Meiers Starships

sser

Arcane
Developer
Sid Meier is a great game designer, but yeah, he's moved into the casual market. I don't really blame him. I can imagine he spent like a day programming Ace Patrol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuck it, I'm hyped. I don't even care if I will be disappointed, I refuse to live in a world where a TB Sid Meier game that puts you in charge of a space flotilla is met with anything else but the most pristine of enthusiasms.

Ipad kills all enthusiasm.

Norfleet

No, that would be cool. A standard-issue TBS is exactly what everyone WANTS. No, you're not getting standard-issue. Standard-issue is too good for you. You get popamole-issue mobile trash.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Didn't Sid Meier recently say that Revolutions is the game he always wanted Civ to be?

If someone says something that retarded, how are we ever meant to take him seriously again?

He's gone full retard Molyneux and I don't have much hope for this, especially since it's on a fagPad (the most consoletarded tablet) and nothing else.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Someone giving exaggerated credit to their most recent release? Surely this has never happened before in the history of cultural products.
Nah this was like 2013 or 14. Way after Civ 5 was released so Revolutions was definitely not his latest at the time.

Norfleet

He's gone full retard Molyneux and I don't have much hope for this, especially since it's on a fagPad (the most consoletarded tablet) and nothing else.
Completely unfair comparison. Sid is a guy who has set his sights on his goal of producing shovelware for profit, and largely succeeds at his goals: He wants to make shit, and he makes shit. Molyneux is a guy who comes up with plans far too ambitious for him to execute, and, of course, fails. The two are in no way comparable, even though they both produce shit. At least Molyneux tries, even though we have little hope for him.

In that regard, Sid Meier is a man who clearly grasps what is within his reach. His reach may not extend far, but he knows what his limits apparently now are.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Completely unfair comparison. Sid is a guy who has set his sights on his goal of producing shovelware for profit, and largely succeeds at his goals: He wants to make shit, and he makes shit. Molyneux is a guy who comes up with plans far too ambitious for him to execute, and, of course, fails. The two are in no way comparable, even though they both produce shit. At least Molyneux tries, even though we have little hope for him.

In that regard, Sid Meier is a man who clearly grasps what is within his reach. His reach may not extend far, but he knows what his limits apparently now are.
You think the Fable series is just down to being too ambitious? Shit like that doesn't happen by accident, it takes careful planning to create something that bad.

He created a dumbed-down, waifu simulator version of Morrowind long before Bethesda even thought of doing it.

Norfleet

I doubt that. More like he shot too high, and had to cut a lot of corners. That's his pattern with everything post-2000-ish to date: Aims high, drops the ball.

Norfleet

Molyneux makes money too.
With a name that big, you'd have to work hard to actually LOSE money.

You think the Fable series is just down to being too ambitious? Shit like that doesn't happen by accident, it takes careful planning to create something that bad.

I doubt that. More like he shot too high, and had to cut a lot of corners. That's his pattern with everything post-2000-ish to date: Aims high, drops the ball.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
With a name that big, you'd have to work hard to actually LOSE money.

B&W 2 was a p. good game, managing to be innovative and fun. The sheer amount of content in there I'd say qualifies as ambitious. Yet Fable etc. were utter pieces of crap. Why? Because he knew it would appeal to the IQ<80 market of The Sims, Skyrim and [insert Bioware title here] players that today are the majority of "gamers". Thus, planned.

Norfleet

Hey, hey, don't diss Sims. Sims was great, especially after I fixed it. And B&W was a fine example of ambitious overreach. I do not know if 2 improved on this, but my understanding is that it was a disappointment as well.

And of course Fable was crap, it was consoletrash. It's not all fair comparing that to a real game.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Firaxis is really pumping out some quality stuff these days. Only been 9 years since they released a respectable product.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Someone giving exaggerated credit to their most recent release? Surely this has never happened before in the history of cultural products.
Nah this was like 2013 or 14. Way after Civ 5 was released so Revolutions was definitely not his latest at the time.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the leads on Civ BE saying Revolutions was their favorite.

Sid himself hasn't been directly involved with a Civ since 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the leads on Civ BE saying Revolutions was their favorite.

Sid himself hasn't been directly involved with a Civ since 2 if I'm not mistaken.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/360-ps3-portables-getting-civ-ilized/1100-6173277/
"Meier said of Civilization Revolution, "[This] is the game I've always wanted to make!""

"Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is a 2008 iteration of Civilization developed by Firaxis Games with Sid Meier as designer for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, Windows Phone, and iOS."

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/360-ps3-portables-getting-civ-ilized/1100-6173277/
"Meier said of Civilization Revolution, "[This] is the game I've always wanted to make!""

"Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is a 2008 iteration of Civilization developed by Firaxis Games with Sid Meier as designer for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, Windows Phone, and iOS."
Which is a quote from 2007 when he was trying to sell it. I bet Civ 5 was also the game he always wanted to make and CivBE was too!

Multi-headed Cow

Which is a quote from 2007 when he was trying to sell it. I bet Civ 5 was also the game he always wanted to make and CivBE was too!
'cept he wasn't particularly involved with 5 or BE except as generic Firaxis dude, whereas with Rev he was lead.

Also watched the gameplay of Starships. Seems geared entirely around building/improving your fleet and doing turn based battles with it which may not be a bad thing but isn't something that gets me really excited. Especially with all the BE stuff that just reminds me how bad BE is. Mildly interested but it'll take longer videos to really get me going.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

OK well I only heard about that retarded quote like 2 years ago.

Googling "The game I've always wanted to make" gives plenty of results, but only one from Sid. So "The game I've always wanted to make" is the new "Citizen Kane of Gaming". Or the old, whichever.

Destroid

Arcane
Might be cool, I suppose it will depend on how interesting the tactical battles are since that seems to be the focus.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Let's find out why turn-based is a superior life form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom