Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Pandora is pretty good, though. Also pretty challenging with the last patch - the patch dev even had to tone down the AI difficulty on easier levels, cause it was too good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Pandora huh? Completely forgot about that game.

Last time I checked it out it was just as bland and grey pictogramey as BE. But that was like 2 years ago. And it's 10 bucks on G2A too. Yep, grabbing it.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Pandora huh? Completely forgot about that game.

Last time I checked it out it was just as bland and grey pictogramey as BE. But that was like 2 years ago. And it's 10 bucks on G2A too. Yep, grabbing it.
If you are gonna play pandora i recommend applying the unofficial patch available here:
https://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?96495-Zwischenpatches&p=7813505&viewfull=1#post7813505
Look for posts by AIL.
It is mostly a ai patch and the guy has been fixing the ai of the game for months since it looks like the devs aren't releasing any more patches.
And also if spies seems weak that is because they were broken when they were introduced(you could literally cripple an empire with a couple of spies) and they have been nerfed heavily.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks but yesterday I've discovered the R&R mod for the CivIV: Colonization and oh boy, imma be kindda busy with that for a while. Pandora will have to wait.

Cael

Arcane
I don't mind hex + single unit on it. But to call it Civilisation was a bridge too far. They just took a dump on my childhood memories, so to hell with them.

Now, if they called it Battletech, I'd probably had signed up.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Music in general is the last area where Firaxis haven't shat the bucket yet. With the progressive retardation that's going on there I fully expect their next announcement to be some Overwatch-styled semi-weaboo MOBA.

Cael

Arcane
I don't know. Comparing that with Baba Yetu to me is no challenge. Baba Yetu wins...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have no idea what would compel you to play this game but have you tried using the codex mod?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780912351&searchtext=
It may improve your game play by 1 percent.

Tried it. More than 1 percent. Definitely more. New batch of features was added just yesterday so the dude is doing a hero's work polishing that turd.

I don't know what it is with Firaxis games - XCOM and Long War, Civ5 and Vox Populi, Civ4 Colonization and Revolutions/Religions, Beyond Earth and Codex....Firaxis basically builds barebone platforms that the modders then use to create great games. Why is Meiers, the old infantile fool, getting away with this?

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tried it. More than 1 percent. Definitely more. New batch of features was added just yesterday so the dude is doing a hero's work polishing that turd.

Yeah, seems so. Booted it up myself today after promising I'd play it for months - early stages so far but very promising.

:necro::necro::necro:
(one for each year)

i take it back, the codex mod truly completely changes the game into something interesting. there are so many numbers and manas thrown around now...
it's a shame the base ai still has no fucking clue how to play the game, as in declaring war when owning ZERO military units, building an airplane, sending it to attack, having it crippled by your own, sending it to attack again the very following turn and losing it.

mastroego

Arcane
:necro::necro::necro:
(one for each year)

i take it back, the codex mod truly completely changes the game into something interesting. there are so many numbers and manas thrown around now...
it's a shame the base ai still has no fucking clue how to play the game, as in declaring war when owning ZERO military units, building an airplane, sending it to attack, having it crippled by your own, sending it to attack again the very following turn and losing it.
I picked this game on sale.
I knew its reputation, I was resting my hopes on mods.
I did some research and basically saw that people most use either:
- The Codex mod, alone or with a few mods that are compatible with it (which ones are those?)
OR
- A collection of modifications that play well together (namely the "Awesome ...." series, Affinity As Yields, and something else).

Would you add something noteworthy about this? I assume you'd suggest going directly the "Codex path"?
The Affinity As Yields mod seems pretty important. Does Codex add something similar?

codex. overhauls everything.
there aren't many compatible mods, actually just a fistful, and most of them are only uninteresting factions or only visual stuff.

Honestly, I'm surprised we don't get more franchises trying to muscle on Civ's territory.

Blend a lot of stuff from SMAC, Call to Power and the many Civ games, and many other games I forgot, give it Civilization IV-tier modability, make it all with a high-performance game engine that does not slow down no matter how much crap you thrown at it, and you could get a Civ-killler, easily. Maybe take some lessons from GSGs, too.

One thing that always gave me massive dissonance and bothered me about Civ, is the gonzo way time goes by, especially early on. Also how slow units and wars are, in general. SMAC is better in that regard, 1 turn = 1 year is a good metric.

Althrough honestly, Civ always felt like it suffers from trying to model history from the Copper Age to the Future. SMAC and such has it easier because it just has to model something more specific. To properly model ALL history, would require a lot of study and not shying away from complexity, but embracing it HARD.

Civilization as a series is dead. Only way this boat is turning back is if they get Brian Reynolds or Soren Johnson to work on it and do whatever they want.

it's simple. why go maximum effort when you can give some paint to a skinner box and call it a day? i swear, since i started looking through the matrix it is staggering how games are day after day less and less entertainment and more and more pointless titillating at human weaknesses.

and civ as a series is well alive and strong, as long as they keep dumbing it down to widen the market, and they've been doing it for some time already.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
if they get Brian Reynolds or Soren Johnson to work on it and do whatever they want.
I don't know about that. Brian Reynolds has been making phone games for more than a decade, and I'm not too impressed with what I've been seeing from Soren Johnson's new 4X. I think it's better to accept that the golden age is gone and is never coming back, and appreciate what we already got.

mastroego

Arcane
So, I've been playing with this Codex mod a bit.
Since I haven't even launched vanilla (ok, perhaps once to see how the game looked) I have no idea what comes from the mod and what has always been there.

I have to say - and I assume it's because of the mod - I am actually a bit impressed by what I see, I mean, in light of the game's reputation at any rate.
There's lots of stuff going on, I'm going to require more hours sunk into this before I start figuring most things out.
As I grow older I'm becoming less and less willful to learn new (gaming) things, so I don't know how much time it'll actually take (if ever), but it doesn't look like a bad game from where I stand.
Of course the uninspired quotes and things like that only remind you of how great a game was AC, this remains obviously true mod or not mod.

Anyway, so far my biggest complaint would be the loading times.
Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK.
This also compounds badly with the mod selection bug, which forces you to go back and load mods a second time to actually load them, and which effectively triples the starting time since even fucking going back takes like a minute.
WHAT THE FUCK.
Is there some fix to this?
Because the thing is, after a couple of attempts I came to understand/suspect that the whole procedure has to be repeated even to load a modded game, which obviously makes it a thousand times worse.
Am I in error?

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
this is to smac what stellaris is to moo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom