Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Turn starts
Player X denounced you
Player X and player Z are no longer allies
Player G and player B are no longer allies
Player K and player L are no longer allies
Player Z and player A are no longer allies
Player Q and player U are no longer allies
*Screen shifts to diplomatic mode, 10 second leader introduction*
Leader Y: We thank you for cooperation, my good ally!
*Screen shifts back to main map*
Leader Z: We like you!
Leader J: Our 5 turn-long trade treaty has ended.
Now you can move your units

sser

Arcane
Developer
So close.

Anyway, this is a first-day purchase right now. If it still carries Civ5's trading and cultural systems plus anything new, I'm game. The PCGamer mentioned that the aliens might be kind of like the Natives from Civ: Colonization. I'd be down with that. I'm wondering if the leader-creation will be like a sped-up version of Colonization's spending of certain points to get certain leaders. My only thought that things might go 'wrong' right now is that it feels like, from tech to leaders, your "path" to victory seems kinda predisposed. But that's just trying to read between the lines of some of these previews.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
"The great mistake. [...] but mankind recovered."

Fuck that shit. This reeks too much of popular hopey-changey catering. The game could have benefited a lot from a more darker premise that had forced mankind to leave Earth. But I can respect why they don't wanna follow AC's footsteps directly. It would only shoo the dumbed down Macbook kids away.

Delbaeth

Learned
So Firaxis has waited for Pandora to try a SciFi game?

Instead of making something new, they make this.

Great. I am sure that there is no haste to jump on 4X-SciFi bandwagon. This should have been in the making for years.

:troll:

Hellraiser

Arcane
This is actually good news.

1) They're not raping Alpha Centauri's name. EA's license hogging ensures that SMAC's name will forever remain pure. So the problem of morons and ignorant fools claiming the series truly started with nu-SMAC will never happen, unlike with franchise rapes such as Fallout 3, nu-XCOM or Thiaf.
2) They're actually doing the one thing I really wanted to see in 4X for a long time. That is a proper non-interstellar space 4X with a (few) system-sized scale unlike the galaxy scale 4X common since MOO. So shit like wars over resources on moons, asteroids and other fun things only Aurora 4X so far allowed will be available.
3) It can't be worse than fucking Pandora. Honestly, fuck that shitty game.

Even if this crashes and burns the worst we'll do is bemoan the wasted potential of an excellent concept. In such a scenario the game will become largely forgotten like Fallout: POS was.

EDIT: Bloody hell, those screenshots are eye-blindingly oversaturated.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, not really excited. Civ5 was a huge disappointment and I'm still playing Civ4. Alpha Centauri is still amazing and I can pick it up whenever I like, and if I want something more modern, there's always that Planetfall mod for Civ4 I've had on my computer for years, but never played.

I don't think they could replicate SMAC if they tried, even if they were still at the top of their game. It just did everything so well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Coming soon: Civ5, the space reskin!

Are they at least going to take out that shitniggerfaggotcocksuckassgobblinghomoqueer IDIOCY that prevented you from putting more than one unit in a square? More than anything else, that wrecked Civ5.
Just like Alpha Centaury was just a Civilization 2 reskin, amirite?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Awful environment tiles are part of the authentic SMAC experience :smug:

Except they weren't awful in SMAC. Most of the planet was simply either fungus or dry and lacking vegetation, your job was to bring life to it and purge xenos,
Don't lie to yourself and watch some screenshots. SMAC wasn't a particulary good looking game, regardless of the time it was released in.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Awful environment tiles are part of the authentic SMAC experience :smug:

Except they weren't awful in SMAC. Most of the planet was simply either fungus or dry and lacking vegetation, your job was to bring life to it and purge xenos,
Don't lie to yourself and watch some screenshots. SMAC wasn't a particulary good looking game, regardless of the time it was released in.
:mob::mob::mob:
SMAC looked lovely when it came out, and it's one of the few early 3D games that has still looks quite nice even as it has aged.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Even if they had the rights it would be a horrible idea to make a SMAC2. You could make the best turn-based game in the past ten years and it still wouldn't live up to the hype. Aged legends like that are best kept at a distance.

Edit: the PCGamer article used to be one page, now it's been separated into five :roll:

PC Gamer: So you're always the first one to land on the planet you're colonising, and then other ones land afterward? How will that unfold?

David McDonough: Yeah, you're playing, you're exploring and then you'll get a popup, a communique, and you'll zoom over to see the ship for your opponent land, they'll establish their capital, you'll get first diplomatic contact with them, and you're free to go from there. It'll happen at some point between the first 40 - 50 turns.

Not sure how that's going to work. Sounds like a terrible idea on paper.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Even if they had the rights it would be a horrible idea to make a SMAC2. You could make the best turn-based game in the past ten years and it still wouldn't live up to the hype. Aged legends like that are best kept at a distance.

Edit: the PCGamer article used to be one page, now it's been separated into five :roll:

PC Gamer: So you're always the first one to land on the planet you're colonising, and then other ones land afterward? How will that unfold?

David McDonough: Yeah, you're playing, you're exploring and then you'll get a popup, a communique, and you'll zoom over to see the ship for your opponent land, they'll establish their capital, you'll get first diplomatic contact with them, and you're free to go from there. It'll happen at some point between the first 40 - 50 turns.

It's different than normal, kind of an emergent style like some Civ4 mods that have new civs appear as the game progresses. They'll probably scale with your tech, of course. In the end, I doubt it'll make any real difference.

sser

Arcane
Developer

It's different than normal, kind of an emergent style like some Civ4 mods that have new civs appear as the game progresses. They'll probably scale with your tech, of course. In the end, I doubt it'll make any real difference.

It just feels weird to have your direct competition showing up after you instead of on an even playing field. It just does not seem right on paper. I'm guessing the difficulty levels will essentially lower that turn-counter, but still.

One of the designers also said CivRevolution was his favorite Civ game so really all-in-all I wish I hadn't read that interview. Still excited because it's Civ, but I gotta get away from the hype machine.

Whisky

The Solution

One of the designers also said CivRevolution was his favorite Civ game so really all-in-all I wish I hadn't read that interview. Still excited because it's Civ, but I gotta get away from the hype machine.

Oh dear. This is deeply troubling. I thought the world forgot that CivRevolution existed?

Gozma

Arcane
top sneer at the idea humans are ever getting off this planet

Looks like SMAC has a lower market awareness score than they could get for another Civ: Subtitle game

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
This fall on Linux, Mac and Windows PC for $49.99, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth...

"Every time it's a different story, a different imaginary tale about who humanity grew up to be over the next 5,000 years on this strange, alien planet,"
"[It's about] starting from a place of safety and taking a journey that's both dangerous and invigorating into a strange new future and the revelation of wonder along the way, the feeling of gradual mastery as you start to take control of the planet and feel like you've found your footing, reacting to the different choices that you're AI opponents make. Friends and enemies start to take on a whole new meaning when your enemy has transformed itself into a robot. What does that mean for your civilization? How could you ever get along? That sort of thing: putting interesting decisions like that in front of of the player, all the way through the game."
Because it's no longer saddled to history, there are multiple different theories about how humanity might develop, and the tech web contains three broad affinities that help players assimilate to their new surroundings. The harmony affinity is for players who believe that they should become part of the new alien world. The supremacy affinity is harmony's opposite and favors technological advances like robotics and environmental domination over assimilation. The purity affinity uses "science and research," according to Brenk, to look back at humanity's past and culture and want to preserve humanity as it was and treat their new planet as a new Earth.
According to Strenger, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will have three distinct victory types — one for each affinity, which reflects what each civilization understands success to be.
Firaxis is hoping to move beyond building a civilization out of nuts and bolts. It wants players to build humanity with their own mixture of the past and the future, a combination of ideology and religion — to build an ethos to sustain homo sapiens among the stars. Whatever we become will be up to players to decide. But whatever that winds up being — passive or aggressive, human or cybernetic— humanity is primed to change. After all, they're building a different kind of civilization for a different kind of Civilization game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom