Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, any wortwhile mods exists?

xantrius

Liturgist
Or should I just play it and its expansion naked?

spectre

Arcane
You just picked it up? If so, godspeed and play it until you drop (-:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
xantrius said:
Or should I just play it and its expansion naked?

Alpha Centauri is a beautiful girl, so you should play her naked without adding any make-up and fancy clothes.

I've always felt that the add-on ruined the balance/flow of the game, I would skip it since the factions aren't as developed as the original, I mean what's the point of having the Hive, the Drones AND the Cyborgs who all seem to have philosophy? Personally I think the add-on was just a cash-in.

xantrius

Liturgist
Thanks goodness that I didn't engage with this alien specimen without consulting the revered Codexians! I shall be sure to embrace this delicate gal naked! Without adding those silly, most decadent, and vile accessories like perfumes and what not! What was I thinking?! :decline:, but alas my folly did not stop there; I intended to augment this cybernetic-iris of already unfathomable riches - without thinking that it might wreck her balance...

Jed

Cipher
Don't bother with the expansion. It's totally unnecessary. Play the vanilla game for awhile, and if you then become bored, start looking for mods. I've been playing this game for many years, and have never felt the need to sully our bed with lingerie or strap ons.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, I consider it the BEST in the series. However, I'm a sucker for a high-tech sci-fi, so if you are not - your mileage may vary.

The comments of leaders are often hilarious/insightful and add a great deal of pleasure to each discovery besides the ingame benefit - that is true for everyone. Unless you are a total religions fundy... you'll love Miriam Godwinson then, though :).

AzraelCC

Scholar
Yeah, the expansion was horribly imbalanced, especially the aliens. I would have liked the new factions to be independent mini-factions, since their more of that than full blown factions. Perhaps you could bully them or use them to supplement your forces.

Are there any mods like that available? Any specific good mods for vanilla?

Balor said:
Yea, I consider it the BEST in the series. However, I'm a sucker for a high-tech sci-fi, so if you are not - your mileage may vary.

The comments of leaders are often hilarious/insightful and add a great deal of pleasure to each discovery besides the ingame benefit - that is true for everyone. Unless you are a total religions fundy... you'll love Miriam Godwinson then, though :).
Awww yeah, a technocratic Communo-Buddhist mind hive? Sign me up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
I recomend playing the expansion using all the vanilla factions.
Pfft, enjoying your bases getting fucked over by fungal artillery eh?

xantrius

Liturgist
Satori said:
Balor said:

Awww yeah, a technocratic Communo-Buddhist mind hive? Sign me up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk

Hehe Chairman Sheng-ji Yang sounds awesome. Love such stuff.

Finally weekend, just about to delve into the game for the first time :D

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damnit, the game doesn't work on my MSI Wind netbook. Probably has to do with the resolution - Space Empires V doesn't work either because of that reason. At least with SE5 it shows me an exact error message, while with AC it just crashes to desktop immediately on game start, before anything happens, even before I see any intro or the menu. Might it be another reason? Maybe incompatibility with XP?

spectre

Arcane
AC ran on my laptop with Win XP. Could be a hardware issue. I assume you tried the obvious compatiblity mode?

Balor

Arcane
Remember to set in Alpha Centauri.Ini:

[PREFERENCES]
ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Dmitron

Arbiter
79894257.jpg

xantrius

Liturgist
We must destroy Mount Todd, salvage what we can from the CRPG Ruins, and do something to the surrounding chaos, or urh wasteland ASAP...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why'd you want to mod something this good? You'd only make it worse. It's a bit like remakes.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I played the original SMAC and the only mod I used was a homebrew one I made to remove secret projects.

I had another personal mod that made the fungus and animal life much more hostile but all that ended up happening was Deidre steamrolling everyone else.

Balor

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
I played the original SMAC and the only mod I used was a homebrew one I made to remove secret projects.

I had another personal mod that made the fungus and animal life much more hostile but all that ended up happening was Deidre steamrolling everyone else.

Admit it, you are a Greenpeace member in disguise with dreams of world domination :lol:.

scient

Augur
Funny there should be a recent topic about this game. Since Qwinn doesn't plan on making another update to PST fixpack for awhile and pretty much all the major engine bugs have been fixed, I went looking for another project. I turned my sights on AC which I have fond memories of. I can remember playing this ages ago with mate of mine and had lots of fun. There was an attempt to mod Civ 3 or Civ 4 to sci-fi style AC but I think that project is long since dead. So I figured I'd have a go at trying to sort bugs with the original game.

So far I've fixed a number of serious issues like the most common crashes as well as some broken features like "Go to home base" and Repair Bay ability. I've only been working on ACX for moment but I plan on porting fixes over to AC as well. Hopefully I can get some issues sorted regarding copy protection crap (I have to use the unprotected exe) to be able to post it publicly on forums. If you run across any issues, please let me know. I've kinda hijacked the thread here for reporting bugs and such.

There are still a lot of issues to be resolved and the line between "tweak" and "fix" is much murkier than PST. I've been trying to stay away from anything that might be considered "tweak" and sticking to fixing bugs/exploits. And god damn morale bugs have come back to haunt me. Garr. :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom