Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Who?

Metro Aenra Roqua BlackGoat

Seems most of the responses to Shroud of the Avatar from this thread are mixed.

SotA has had a playable release each month for 36 months. The release of episode 1 (the storyline of which there will be 5 episodes) will release in the next 5 months.

I'm trying to understand why most of the codex seems to pan this project.

the kickstarter conned lots of people into thinking this was an Ultima game, while it's really Ultima Online

also player housing is retarded

Really? I don't think it ever looked more like a normal Ultima than it did Ultima online

grimace

Arcane
rvfq5bz.png

I ask Garriott about Shroud of the Avatar. My question is framed along the lines of "people seem to be pretty disappointed and underwhelmed by the game." As evidence, I point towards a raft of bad reviews on the in-development game's Steam Early Access page as well as negative comments on its Kickstarter page. I wonder if things are perhaps not going as well as might be hoped?

He looks genuinely amazed at my prognosis. "I don't think so at all," he says. "We've had naysayers since the beginning. But I think what you're seeing is a side effect from open development from day one."
"“Everything was pretty hunky dory until we went up on Steam.”"

Richard Garriott: the man, the myth, the mischief
On the publication of his autobiography, Polygon talks to one of gaming's most celebrated creators
by Colin Campbell@ColinCampbellx Jan 30, 2017, 10:00am EST

Early in his autobiography, Richard Garriott characterizes himself as a storyteller, a lover of yarns. After reading his new book, stuffed with tales of derring-do, I interview him via Skype. True to form, he answers almost all my questions with anecdotes, occasionally waving props into the mini-cam. He's as practiced as a Toastmaster Grand Wizard.

I'm familiar with some of the stories he tells because I've just read them in his book. Others have only a glancing relationship with the actual question asked. But no matter, he's an entertaining old cove. Among video gaming's elite auteurs — the multi-millionaire club of game design innovators — he's probably the one you'd most readily invite to a dinner party.

You're probably thinking of Garriott as that fella who wrote the Ultima games and then bought a ticket to space. But his stock of reminiscences go far beyond merely helping to shape video games and visiting the International Space Station for a fun fortnight. He's explored the Titanic. Hiked the Antarctic. Built amazing ghost houses.
"My dad was an astronaut"

Garriott is not the sort to hole himself up in a mansion like some 21st Century Charles Foster Kane, secluded with his greenbacks and his toys. He's out there, living it large, splashing about in the joyful puddles of existence. It's enough to make the rest of us feel a twinge of envy, perhaps even a nasty lick of resentment.

After all, how many of us can say, "my dad was was an astronaut." Yet even as he acknowledges the good fortune of his birth (in the book's opening paragraphs) and an upbringing of marvellous privilege among America's scientific elite, it's impossible to take away his achievements. Being Richard Garriott has taken a lot of effort, and plenty of knocks.

It's illustrative that he spends as much of his book talking about how he got to go to space, as he does in space itself. He spent his life pursuing a single, highly unlikely dream. Time and again, he was thwarted by regulations, money troubles and bad luck. But he got there in the end.

Our reward is a bunch of gleeful stories about life on the Space Station, with an especially amusing chestnut about how to take a shit in space.

"Garriott is happy to talk about his shortcomings"

There's something else I like about Garriott. Some of these old-time videogame development heroes have gotten crotchety in their old age. As an interviewer and a journalist, I've found a few of them to be jealous of their carefully constructed myths and reputations. Garriott is happy to talk about his shortcomings such as the blinkers of his privilege, the professional relationships that went south and his own propensity to dodge boring chores.

The only thing he gets defensive about is his new game, Shroud of the Avatar. But we'll come to that later.

First, let's take a deep dive, down to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Titanic Struggles

His autobiography — co-written with David Fisher and available now — is called Explore / Create. From the get-go, Garriott pulls us into the exploration stuff, dropping us into a submersible where he's watching the ghostly outline of the Titanic drifting past his window. Y'know, just like me and you did in that movie, except he's right there, as opposed to sitting in front of Netflix. Anyway, long story short, something goes wrong and the sub is stuck under the rudders of the doomed liner.

Garriott explains that there's no point in panicking in a situation like this. But he has the good grace to admit to being pretty terrified at the thought of slowly suffocating 12,415 feet underwater. Anyway, after a few hours of staring at impending annihilation, the boffins up top figure out a way to free the vehicle, and Garriott lives to tell the tale.

He's frank about the limitations of his own courage. He has no interest in dangerous sports or thrill-seeking. He just likes visiting really cool places. His desire for experience is slightly greater than his fear of consequences.

Like many modern biographies, the book sets itself up as a guide to living, a self-help lite. But really, it doesn't have much more to say than: A little bit of what you fancy does you good. Exploration of places has been the point of his life, but the way he's gotten to do that is by creating things that other people want to consume.

For those of us animated by the history of computer and video games, there's plenty here to enjoy. Garriott was raised to be inquisitive and so, when computers first showed up, he wanted to know how to use them. When Dungeons & Dragons became a thing, he wanted to play. D&D is mainly about crafting stories, and this looped back into his own love of all things Tolkien.

Tolkien + D&D + scientific upbringing + emergent computers = kid who makes a video game. He sold it in a zip-bag from the computer store where, as a teenager, he earned pocket money. One copy ended up in the hands of a Californian entrepreneur who was desperate to make a killing from these newfangled games. The game was published and Garriott was suddenly, nauseatingly rich.

He wasn't very happy with that first game, so he made another, and called it Ultima. He and his business-minded brother got together to create a company called Origin. The Ultima series is now regarded as central to the development of role-playing games, right up to the seminal Ultima Online (1997) which did as much as any other game to pave the way for MMOs.

Ultima Online Origin

A life in video games

Garriott's game-related stories begin with his desire to transform code into explore-able worlds that could be manipulated by the player. He writes about his long fights to protect his artistic vision, even when he was out of sync with prevailing wisdom.

There's also a section on his ill-fated relationship with Electronic Arts, which bought Origin in 1992. I'd expected Garriott to be scathing about the company that essentially fired him. But in the book he holds his hands up to making bad decisions, and just not fitting in with a zero-sum culture of intense corporate competition. Still, in our interview, he's a little more forthcoming.

"The different studios would all go to a big meeting and discuss all of our products." he recalls. "I'd say all the right things about the other studios and I'd applaud their work. A rising tide raises all ships so let's give each other something positive.

"Then I'd go home and hear from the back-channels that as soon as we left the room Studio X, Y and Z started lambasting us and demanding our budgets be cut in favor of theirs. It was inappropriate. We weren't there to defend ourselves. But we began to see ourselves being marginalized by what I thought was mean-spirited, spiteful activities."

The Spiritual Successor to Ultima

There's also a chapter on Tabula Rasa, an unsuccessful MMO he made for NCSoft. The fallout from that game was a lawsuit in which the publisher paid Garriott millions of dollars. But rather than getting into the weeds about legal battles, he spends most of this chapter carefully explaining the entire new language he invented for the game.

This is one of his strengths and, I imagine, one of the things that must be infuriating about him for colleagues He's always focused on the stuff that makes him happy, even when perhaps his mind ought to be elsewhere. Tabula Rasa's invented language was cool. But the game needed a lot more heart.

As the avatar Lord British, Garriott has also enjoyed a second, digital life. He tells some revealing tales of his time as an inhabitant of Ultima Online, where he was, to all intents and purposes, a living god. Like all good anecdotes, there's a neat twist to his apparently limitless power and the hubris this engenders.

He also gets a kick out of surprising players. All his games have some variation on the theme of releasing an innocent from bondage, only to find that the innocent is surprisingly, violently ungrateful.

This love of tricks played out in his long-standing Halloween hobby. Each year he'd spend an unholy amount of money reforming his home into a ghost mansion. People would line up to "enjoy" the experience. Garriott reports cackling along with his team as intrepid visitors literally wet themselves with fear.

Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium

I ask Garriott about Shroud of the Avatar. My question is framed along the lines of "people seem to be pretty disappointed and underwhelmed by the game." As evidence, I point towards a raft of bad reviews on the in-development game's Steam Early Access page as well as negative comments on its Kickstarter page. I wonder if things are perhaps not going as well as might be hoped?

He looks genuinely amazed at my prognosis. "I don't think so at all," he says. "We've had naysayers since the beginning. But I think what you're seeing is a side effect from open development from day one."
"“Everything was pretty hunky dory until we went up on Steam.”"

Shroud of the Avatar is an ambitious attempt to create a fantasy virtual world in which players can be the digital person they want to be, rather than a slave to leveling up. Since its announcement back in 2013, and its subsequent raising of millions of dollars via crowdfunding, Garriott's development house Portalarium has attempted to keep supplying backers with builds along the way, no matter how rudimentary those builds might be.

"We feel the obligation to show you how we're spending your money and for you to be able to speak up when you feel thing are good or bad," he adds, pointing out that new builds and updates have been released on schedule for "the last 38 months in a row."

"Players have told us what they don't like and we've fixed those thing, and they've been universally positive," Garriott says. He believes that arrivistes who bought the game relatively recently, and who expect an Early Access game to be completed, are the ones complaining.

"Everything was pretty hunky dory until we went up on Steam. Then we found a different type of customer who hadn't been with us from the beginning. They see that the game looks unfinished, unpolished, with only a few weapons and an obtuse UI and we get a backlash."
"“We are going to take whatever amount of time it requires to get it right.”"

SOTA's Steam page now features a warning that people should not buy the game if they do not wish to get involved in its open development process. But the voices of discontent are loud, and clearly irritating to Garriott. Like Star Citizen's Chris Roberts, he's finding that the public is an even harder task-master than traditional games publishers. And controlling the message is easier said than done.

When I ask why backers are also showing discontent — the Kickstarter comments are blistering — he says: "We do a pretty good assessment of all the backers across all the different media and we do believe that the vast majority are still with us and content."

He's clearly not about to change direction. "Do I think we're behind in time? Absolutely. But the mistake we're not going to make is doing it wrong. We are going to take whatever amount of time it requires to get it right. I'm a believer that the last 20 percent of game development is when a game goes from being a raw collection of semi-related engine pieces to being something that really sings."

When pressed for a launch date, or a point at which the game can be called complete, he predicts sometime in the middle of this year. "There will be games systems completed before then, including all the spells, combat, economics, crafting and all of the MMO-like systems. But to me the game is not done until I can start a new character and play all the way through to the end of Episode One [of five]. That's when we will 'launch' it but of course you can argue it's been launched for 38 months now."

Portalarium

In a subsequent statement on the state of the game, requested by Polygon, Garriott added that “most [backers] remain very happy, but we do go through cycles of happiness and frustration, which we believe is natural based on people experiencing the full development process in ways that are very unlike a normal game. They are learning, as new QA staff does, that game-making is messy.”

We also received a statement from SOTA’s executive producer Star Long who argued that there are “actually only a few Kickstarter comments” that are negative. He added: “The nature of Kickstarter and Early Access means we must provide backers a rather detailed description and feature list of the game before we start working on it. This means those backers then create their own vision of what they imagine the game will be.

"“They are learning that game-making is messy.”"

“This vision is often very different from the creator’s vision. Then when their own internal vision fails to match the actual product they accuse the creators of failing to deliver on the promise. Additionally when people love a franchise as much as they love Ultima they have some very passionate feelings about what they want a ‘spiritual successor’ to be. They build up in their minds all sorts of visions about what that game will be like.

“In our case we have been very clear that the game would be a combination of an MMO and a single player game and that is exactly what it is today. We have an offline single player mode as well as multiple online modes just as we described. In fact we have added features to both offline and the online modes so not only are we creating the original vision we have added to it. Again while it may not match some of our backer’s internal visions it very much matches exactly what we described bullet point by bullet point and it matches what our own vision for the product was to be from day one.”
On his way to the ISS in 2008 AFP / Getty Images
Getting older and making changes

I'm curious about his views on politics in games, especially as Garriott has been a part of game development since its earliest days, when such things were rare. I ask him for his views on the notion that games are just entertainment, that their function is not to reflect society, but to provide an escape. He is scornful of this idea.

"Frankly, it's hard for me to be empathetic about people who are complaining about losing their teenage boy games," he says. "There's room and reason to have any kind of art people want to make or any kind of art people want to consume. I think that we succeed as an industry when we are more diverse. Games are better if they sell to a broader audience. Games are richer and more fun and more entertaining if they include diversity."
"“It’s hard for me to be empathetic about people who are complaining about losing their teenage boy games.”"

But he's also used this shift in emphasis to examine his own ways of making games. "My office is filled heavily with developers from the past which also means they're more male and more Caucasian then they ought to be, statistically," he says. "When I visit younger groups of graduates who are doing startups, they are way more diverse. They are at least 50 percent not male or not white. Frankly, I was embarrassed to realize that I'd somehow inadvertently remained a developer of the past versus finding a way to cross that bridge."

He tells a story of a time he asked a developer on his team (a man) to create various stock characters, like an innkeeper, a bartender, a guard and so on. When they came back, all the characters in positions of power or property ownership were men, while the servants and powerless tended to be women.

"And so we began this statistical stratification of the early characters being assigned to historically common gender roles," he says. "We didn't do it on purpose. We like to think of ourselves as above that. And yet we fell into the same trap. A woman [backer] called us up and and pointed out our mistake and we were, what the fuck? So we slapped ourselves a few times and made some changes."

Explore / Create

Explore / Create is a collection of Garriott's favorite war stories as well as his own philosophy that curiosity about the world is a path to well-being. I ask him what he would have done with his life, if there had been no computer games.

"I would have found a way to make physical interactive entertainment," he replies. "I love learning through experimental things. I would have still been creating virtual worlds but just in the more practical, physical sense.

"I'm sure I still would have been an explorer too. You can see in the book how much joy I've got out of making connections with explorers. They're not only inspirational but we've banded together to open up new frontiers for ourselves and for others, whether that's Antarctica, the deep sea or space.

“If I couldn’t have done those thing, I would have explored in my own backyard, perhaps caves in Texas or Mexico. I still would have found it."

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Only the good kind, the true way to happiness is in surrounding yourself with all the sycophants you can find and build the largest echo chamber possible, and Garriott always liked to build big

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
So, any backer knows what kinda feedback he's been getting?

Yes.

How was Tabula Rasa? I remember reading about it back in the days but never got around to playing it.

Tabula Rasa had a language with Logos you would need to find in difficult to reach spots. The logos granted you new super powers and abilities.

I enjoyed the cover system, enemies who flanked you, and control points. There was a boxing ring and players organized boxing tournaments.

The feeling was like Starship Troopers with MASH and other basic training military films. Richard Garriot was known as Commander Brittish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1qPc2MPZ9s

The problem was NCSoft pushed a release 3 months too soon. The devs were working overtime to finish the base game after it was released.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Another video game Ponzi scheme -- just not as successful (for the con man running it) as Star Citizen.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Pretty good. They're shooting for Steam release by Spring (it'll still be early access, of course), but they are keeping true to the things people want, like looting other players and pvp not being optional if you leave town. The great part though is the modding they allow and people making custom servers. (or Shards)

Things are looking good and I have high hopes. My only concern is how they are making money and if it will sustain them. One thing I appreciate it is they have no cash shop like Shroud. Their only plan is that expansions will cost money. But no subscription fee, obviously, and no microtransactions. I just hope nothing comes along that makes them change their mind.

http://shardsonline.com/development-roadmap/

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
So what's the prognosis on this? Is it "Ultima Online 2017"? "The next great Ultima game"? "A lower budget version of Star Citizen"? "A mediocre game stuck in development hell with a bunch of big names attached to it"?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but they are keeping true to the things people want, like looting other players and pvp not being optional if you leave town
How is that a good thing, though?
In almost every single MMO I played that had mandatory PvP which you could not opt out of (from as old as Meridian 59 to Mortal Online), it went like this:

1. I create a character.
2. Play a while in noob zone to get to know the game.
3. Enter the "real" world.
4. Get robbed by some much stronger char, which is camping right outside for weak chars.
5. "What a fun game." Uninstall.exe

I just can't see this ever being fun outside of heavy RP, which to be fair I only saw in UO so far. Which seems to be their direction. However, this is a "feature" I am extremely skeptical about.

grimace

Arcane
So what's the prognosis on this? Is it "Ultima Online 2017"? "The next great Ultima game"? "A lower budget version of Star Citizen"? "A mediocre game stuck in development hell with a bunch of big names attached to it"?

Too early to tell. Shroud of the Avatar has 5 planned Episodes (a story arc that will expand the world with a new area to explore, additional features, etc). Some may choose to wait until after episode 5 releases to play through the Single Player story. This could be completed in 5 - 7 years (thinking 12-18 months between episode releases).

Pretty good. They're shooting for Steam release by Spring (it'll still be early access, of course), but they are keeping true to the things people want, like looting other players and pvp not being optional if you leave town. The great part though is the modding they allow and people making custom servers. (or Shards)

Things are looking good and I have high hopes. My only concern is how they are making money and if it will sustain them. One thing I appreciate it is they have no cash shop like Shroud. Their only plan is that expansions will cost money. But no subscription fee, obviously, and no microtransactions. I just hope nothing comes along that makes them change their mind.

Shroud and Shards are not the only games in alpha/early access/pay to test status. This can be a predatory tactic to release a partial game and charge full price with a promise to deliver more "soon".

Shroud has a legal obligation to deliver 5 Episodes as a kickstarter reward was access to all 5 episodes.

Andhaira

Arcane

How can they keep going without f2p models like microtransactions? It would be grat if they could ofcourse, but remember Lord British is a real life rich enough guy to be able to go into space on a whim by spending scores of millions of dorrah.

He may be a fool yes, but he didn't get rich by not being business savvy.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Too early to tell. Shroud of the Avatar has 5 planned Episodes (a story arc that will expand the world with a new area to explore, additional features, etc). Some may choose to wait until after episode 5 releases to play through the Single Player story. This could be completed in 5 - 7 years (thinking 12-18 months between episode releases).

What is the game like in its current state? They've been coming out with playable builds for 1-2 years now, right? Is it fun? Is it still buggy?

grimace

Arcane
What is the game like in its current state? They've been coming out with playable builds for 1-2 years now, right? Is it fun? Is it still buggy?

Eggs is eggs, Do you have access to play?

I've been playing since release 7 and enjoy the social and role playing aspects.

Portalarium has a development map and scheduled releases.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q1-2017-schedule-update.75141/

Feb 23, 2017 – Release 39
Mar 30, 2017 – Release 40
Apr 27, 2017 – Release 41
May 25, 2017 – Release 42
June 29, 2017 – Release 43

Episode one storyline completion has not been publicly announced. If you are looking to play the quests you can start with the path of Love. Your experience will be that of an alpha tester. Shroud will be "beta" when all of the Episode one features are implemented and commercial launch of episode one is when story lines are fully playable.

Andhaira

Arcane

Eggs is eggs, Do you have access to play?

I've been playing since release 7 and enjoy the social and role playing aspects.

Portalarium has a development map and scheduled releases.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q1-2017-schedule-update.75141/

Feb 23, 2017 – Release 39
Mar 30, 2017 – Release 40
Apr 27, 2017 – Release 41
May 25, 2017 – Release 42
June 29, 2017 – Release 43

Episode one storyline completion has not been publicly announced. If you are looking to play the quests you can start with the path of Love. Your experience will be that of an alpha tester. Shroud will be "beta" when all of the Episode one features are implemented and commercial launch of episode one is when story lines are fully playable.

So what is the game like? What type of character types can you play? How is combat like, and most importantly, is there any magic implemented yet, and if so does it involve collecting reagents?

grimace

Arcane
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=70647#Jobs

JOB

Quest Writer / Designer

• Preferred 2 years industry experience for junior-level (preferably on a shipped game but experience working on mods will be considered as well)
  • Preferred 5 years industry experience for senior-level (minimum of at least 1 shipped game)
  • Strong writing skills with an ability to craft believable characters
  • Scripting ability
  • BONUS: Unity3D proficiency
  • BONUS: Level design experience
  • BONUS: Experience with Quest design and implementation specifically for RPGs and MMOs

Come on Codex, bring the incline!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Hail and well met, Adventurer!
Could you please bring me 40 rat tails? To the east is a cave where many rats live. I will mark it on your map. (*DING* new quest added to your quest log, map updated)
[Optional - Buy 40 rat tails at the RealMoney store, $5]

I got this locked up!

Zep--

grimace

Arcane
Only one genuine Lord British Rat Tail exists. The end of his rat tail cut off and awarded as a prize to Sera Greygoon.

jbSVJFQ.jpg

40 is too much of a fetch quest Zep Zepo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom