Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Infinitron, Mar 1, 2013.

1. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Click here and disable ads!
    Who gives a shit about your name when you're rich ?

Elon Musk doesn't.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    OK! With over 30 40 50+ hours of playing, here is a summary of what I think:

This *IS* Basically Ultima Online, the 3D version. There is TONS of crafting. Player Vendors and Player owned Towns. FISHING! Resources to harvest and craft. Skills/Crafting go up, the more you use them. Basically, all the same basic stuff found in Ultima Online.

It's still at EARLY ACCESS and on build 50. Performance is still very bad (it stutters and crawls), but most all the *basic* game-play is working and quite a bit of content. And even still playable (for the most part). Entering a Town is ugh, a slog fest of slowdowns. The "Adventure Areas" are pretty much ok and playable. And loading screens is just sooooo fucking long.

Basically there is a World Map you travel around. You can then enter Towns (even Player made ones) or Adventure Areas. Then a long ass loading screen, then you are plopped into where ever you wanted to go to. Town for selling loot/train/bank/craft the Adventure Areas are where you gain crafting resources and finish quests (and build up your abilities).

Towns: Every Town has a Bank where you store your crap. You are given a default 30 slots. To get more slots, you need to buy more with gold. The banks however are NOT connected (you can see what's in your bank at any Bank location), but you can only withdraw from a Bank from the exact one you placed items into. That's a tad fucking annoying, but manageable. There's always all the crafting station for all skills, and a combat and crafting trainer. As well as a merchant for all the other crafting materials you will need to craft items. Also a Player Vendor. Basically, sell shit, craft and throw crap into the Bank. You can also get quests from some towns too.

The game does feature a full Day/Night schedule (complete with NPC schedules). Most of the Plot/Quests character do not ever go to sleep and will ALWAYS be standing there, but many of the Merchants (to sell loot or get crafting materials) do go to bed and are on a schedule. Interestingly, this Day/Night schedule actually WORKS in a MMO, because of the basic activities: During the Day Time, you go to Adventure Areas and do quests/gain craft resources/get loot/keep leveling your skills, then when it starts to get dark, run to town and sell shit, craft, throw shit in the Bank and repeat. Of note, the Merchants go to bed during the Day, and come out early morning.

Adventure Areas: They all have a Tier rating (Like I, II, III etc...) and are color coded: Green: Not challenging, and you won't get any loot. Yellow: Challenging, you will get loot and resources just fine. Red: YOU WILL DIE LOLLOLOL You CAN enter ANY Adventure Area, just know the Red ones you are going to die, unless you are possibly good at spotting locations just to avoid monsters. Also Monsters will fight other monsters. This can create very interesting situations. For example, I'm fighting away at this EVIL ELF FIGHTER, and suddenly, this Doe comes running by, trying to avoid an attack from a huge fucking BEAR. The Bear kills the Doe and then looks around and spots me. R00fles! Anyways, it can be amusing to watch.

The combat is OK. You can be a Mage, Fighter or Ranger. But you are class-less and are free to take ANY abilities you want. Like I decided to focus on Maces/Shield/Earth Magic (Strength), Sun and Healing. So you play however you want. Combat consist of you clicking on a bar of abilities when fighting monsters. Heath and Focus (Mana) regenerate over time FAST out of Combat, but VERY SLOW in combat. Spells and Abilities consume Focus so you have to be mindful of that. This is where eating food comes in: It gives you a small bonus to health and focus regeneration. You of course can place what ever abilities in the bar (10 slots) so the attacks are always available (but on a timer) OR Just place a few skills you want for sure and lock them in place and then leave the rest blank. This is how the "Deck" combat works. As you fight, it will then select skills from a pool of your Deck you currently have equipped. So basically each battle will be randomly picking skills for you to attack with. This I actually like. It's a bit more involved but that's about it.

So for the most part (obviously) I'm enjoying it so far. I have NO idea what the higher End Game shit is, and don't care. I was just curious about the games basic functions. Other than the terrible performance and dreaded loading screens, I give it a thumbs up.

Anyways, back to the game, I'm about to make GARLIC CHEESE BREAD MOTHERFUCKERS! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    • Brofist x 8
    • Informative x 4
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cyberarmy Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Now that's some proper teasing

^ Top  
  4. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    I just want to know how it feels as a single player experience. I hate other people. I see them everywhere already. I do not want to see them in my game.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    tl;dr

Game is shit, but I like shit.

Zep--

• Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cyberarmy Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This is RPG Codex mate, we are THE
    connoisseurs of shit
    :obviously:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. mustawd. Erudite

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    There is a single player option.

^ Top  
  9. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    I know. But is it worthwhile?

^ Top  
  10. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    DWARL__XcAEuofV.jpg large.jpg

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    I don't think so? You would not have access to any of the player economy. Though it might prove to be.... somewhat interesting? I have no idea story wise though. I don't think I am even on the *main quest* for Chapter 1.

^ Top  
  12. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    Parrots:
    It's F2P now I believe so anyone can try it out. I did and didn't particularly enjoy it but I'm glad to know that others do enjoy it.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Aildrik Learned

Aildrik
    Parrots:
    So would you classify this as a true sandbox game the way UO was? I mean looking back on UO, at least pre-T2A and even T2A, the creature AI was ... practically nonexistent. I remember running into a room of monsters, putting boxes down around my character and just sitting there firing arrows until everything died. Monsters literally couldn't deal with removing any objects/obstacles. I think later on monsters started being able to break items or move them, but I guess the point is, monster/creature AI was never a danger in UO; the real danger was always other players. Basically the entire game was player driven. No raids or anything like that.

Also, do you feel there is a progression path with doing say, just crafting? Or is this more like WoW with combat questing, and basically fighting is just part of the game.

^ Top  
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    There isn’t the interactive objects (like moving crates etc...). I should have mentioned that. Crafting is actually useful, as in you can repair your equipment much better, as well as craft your own gear.

^ Top  
  15. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Sooo...

I did play it. For like two hours so far. There will be more hours.

At this point, I really do not know what to make of that. The game starts in an extremely retarded fashion : the first thing you see in the opening cutscene (that tries to imitate the Ultima intros) is a nerd looking at Richard Garriot's Facebook. I shit you not. After a character creation that is just identical to the classical Ultimas you are dropped in a burning village. The first person you meet is a girl that looks like 12 and is standing peacefully in her burning house, ten meters away from the flames themselves that threaten to engulf her. She says she stays here because her parents asked her to. What the hell, girl ? After asking you permission to get out of the building in fire, she does so following you.

When launched into the game world, first impression ? The game world is huge. Sooooo... let's open the world map !

Hey, fuck you too!

As for the rest, I do not know what to make of it. It looks strange. "Like shit" is probably one wants to describe it. Unity was not really made for this. I have no other way to describe it as "small budget devs do a big budget game". Everything is there, but not properly. The models look awkward. The interface is functional but absolutely disgusting. All the lighting is there but it can be seen popping in the not so far distance.

The rest of it, so far, looks like a mixture of both WoW and classical Ultima Online. I have far too few gameplay hours so far to give a good opinion on that subject but I will, pretty soon. Quests look pretty generic insofar and even very early in the games a few seem bugged.

I'm not thrilled. Plotwise, it looks like an actual Ultima sequel ; strangely, it appears to take place not after Ultima IX but... after the cancelled Ultima IX, from the Bob White synopsis. The one where Armageddon happened. Gameplay wise, the entire thing is super awkward.

The problems with the games are nothing good support and patches can't fix. But will they ? I highly doubt it.

More later.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Also In two hours, I crossed path with exactly ONE other player. I yelled "OMG !!! HELLO ! " because I was shocked. He did not even turn back.

• Funny Funny x 10
    ^ Top  
  17. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    The reason you aren't seeing any one is because, as soon as you finish the Newbie Starter area, you then will be lead to the city of which the Virtue you are following (Like I chose Fighter, and that is Courage, so I was sent to the city of Resolute). In that city, run and check out the Player Vendor and see the items in there, and then you will say "Oh. THAT"S where everybody is..... not here". Most people are very high level, have high crafting and you will see TONS of player made items. They are all in the higher tier Adventure Areas and towns. At a certain point, enemies turn Green and then you are not going to be getting any XP or loot, so there is no reason to stay in an Adventure Area that is green (you CAN finish any left quests there, and you should). And you can still collect the resources (hides, cotton, ore etc..) BUT you will find even more resources going to a next tier adventure area that is for your level.

As for quests, yeah, most all are the standard meh boring. But there are a few good ones here and there. For example (Again I am doing the Courage path) so in that newbie area, there was a quest that you could only get if you actually explore the town and stumble upon a certain thing. You had to go out of your way to actually find it. Another good example: In this Adventure Area I've been in for a long while, there is this entrance to a Silver Mine. I was like OH FUCK YES! Except the door is locked. I then went fucking EVERYWHERE on the damn map to find that dam key. Nope, nothing. It's not there. I then decided to go to the closest city, looked around there more closely this time. Found a cave. Inside that cave were 2 monsters, that were however friendly.... and they gave me a quest. Also inside the cave was another entrance to the same Silver Mine.... of which they gave me the key I was looking for. YEAHHHHH! Of note, dungeons like the mine, is a single instance that only you or your party go to, there will be no other people there hogging resources etc... which is good.

Also since there will be fucktons of player crafted gear, be sure to equip yourself with entire sets of Armor of all the same type for a bonus (All Cloth, or all Leather, all Chain, all Plate) etc... You should be able to find an entire set of armor that will be just fine for new characters (if NOT, head near the town of Resolute and there is a Player Made town near by called Soryn Fields). That entire town was made to help new players, as well has a TONS of free books to read that have very useful information. As well as a fucking shitton of vendor for EVERYTHING.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    It really is something else.
    FB_IMG_1518942243522.jpg

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. udm Magister Patron

udm
    Parrots:
    I guess this is relevant to Lord de Cayeux now

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Max Heap Scholar

Max Heap
    Parrots:
    If you think all of this is bad then remember they are officially selling "Shroud of the Avatar" assets (!!) on the Unity Asset Store!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ngeon-and-cave-kit-shroud-of-the-avatar-10370

If I remember correctly a lot of the assets in this game come from the community (thus the artistic hodgepodge prevalent with all the game's textures/models). Now I don't know whether the same applies for asset packs or if those were made by Portalarium, but selling your assets is normally an exit strategy for failed projects. Not only in games, but generally.

I... I'm just at a loss of words. I don't even know if this is sheer incompetence, desperation or just greed. I can't tell anymore.
    Anyway this turd is supposed to launch in 26 days and if it's anything like the last build I played a couple of months ago it's going to be a disaster.
    I'm normally not one to take pleasure in the failure of games like these - especially since I was a huge fan of Ultima - but some of this shit is so fucking insolent...

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    The offline single player is probably going to be about as fun as the days I had playing my self hosted Ultima Online server with my modem turned off.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    All of the grind with nobody to talk to. Zzzz.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

lol he's such a dork.

^ Top  
  24. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    At least he's got over his fear of looking ridiculous in public.

^ Top  
  25. Max Heap Scholar

Max Heap
    Parrots:

I guess I like the environment art and in some (rare) cases even their strange steampunk style seems to work out
    But that doesn't change the fact that even the trailer's got performance problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)