Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
As must as I don't want this to make it, it probably will. (Assuming it is going to be a social game or something like that. If it's a real game, then I'd be interested, though skeptical of donating to a man who tears down his mansion every couple of years and rebuilds it.)

Lets face it, a lot of the people are going to see it and think, "OMG! LORD BRITISH IS MAKING A NEW GAME FREE OF EA INTERFERENCE! I GIVE MONEY!" regardless of what he says that the game will be like. We're not immune to this behavior either.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They seem to have deleted my responses over at ultimacodex :mad:. I guess LB won't be able to read my reaction to his latest casual, F2P, MMO masterpiece. :(

I see your responses. Or were there more?
Nah, I had to refresh the page a couple of times until they showed up again. Firefox does that to me occasionally. I jumped the gun as those guys (WTF Dragon and Sergorn) tend to lap up anything Ultima related, especially Ultima Forever, and I just assumed they were censoring any negative comments. My bad.

edit: And they are defending this with examples of "good" tablet games like Baldur's Gate, Ultima Forever (and some Japanese-type stuff?). :roll:

WtF Dragon:
To answer the first, I can name any number of excellent mobile games that have demonstrated considerable quality: Underworlds (which Denis Loubet worked on), Galaxy on Fire 2, Dungeon Hunter 1 & 2, Ravensword 1 & Shadowlands, Aralon, Lili, QuestLord, Wild Blood, The Bard’s Tale, and even Ultima Forever (which I have played at some length…although as it isn’t yet out, its inclusion on this list may not be entirely fair). All excellent from a production quality standpoint, and all very fun to play.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Someone should tell WTFDragon, that there are no "excellent mobile games" when it comes to RPGs. Not even one! Closest candidate would be Undercroft which has been released as free (promotional) dungeon crawler by Runescape maker JAGEX.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These guys are set in their ways. Trust me. I've been arguing with them since before I joined the Codex.

kris

Arcane

Micmu

Magister
What kind of retard moron would back up a FUCKING MILLIONAIRE.
He has all the fucking funds he needs.

Xavier0889

Learned
Lets face it, a lot of the people are going to see it and think, "OMG! LORD BRITISH IS MAKING A NEW GAME FREE OF EA INTERFERENCE! I GIVE MONEY!" regardless of what he says that the game will be like. We're not immune to this behavior either.

I surely doubt that there's enough people with the resources to back him successfully with that opinion.
Anyway, thou shalt not suffer a larper to live :decline:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Eh, Fargo certainly isn't poor, but compared to Garriott he's nothing. Sure he spent a good chunk of his fortune for the space trip, but as Infinitron said he recently won 28 million from that shitty mmo.

Anyway, deranged fans who want Garriott to make another old-school Ultima-like game, beware ! Apart from various medieval weapons, Garriott also has modern ones in his house :
Wikipedia said:
In 1997 the house was broken into by a deranged fan. Garriott held him off with an Uzi, firing a warning shot while waiting for police to arrive.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So he does not actually have the Death Touch IRL. Disappointing. He should've at least tried to LARP it, it could have worked with a nutjob.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Millionaire or not, only a moron would spend his own money on a business project. This is especially true for vidya games, which are notorious for not making their money back, despite being critically acclaimed. Even if funds are not an issue, Lard British would be stupid not to exploit the Kickstarter- he could promise to deliver a bag of burning shit to people's doorsteps and still get the project funded on his name alone.

CaptobviousChooseOption.gif

Diablo169

Arcane
I could hardly take him seriously when he used the nickname Lord British, never mind changing his legal name to Richard Garriott de Cayeux. You grew up in Texas you wanker.

BigWeather

Augur
A Kickstarter may not follow (but it wouldn't surprise me in the least). I'm a huge Ultima geek, but I'm definitely one of the fans that Spellcaster mentions -- don't like anything past Ultima IX (and, if I'm being honest, VII and it's expansions / UW timeframe). Ultima Online had some decent ideas, though. Everything after (fan remakes aside, of course) is crap. However -- I'm still hopeful. Heck, I was even hopeful when Ultima Forever was announced. I'll see what it is and evaluate it on its own merits. At a minimum it needs to be: PC, party-based, turn-based combat. It can be online, if needed (and, yes, I know that typically dashes party-based -- but that can be solved), but ideally that'd be limited to voluntary participation or doing it kind of like Demons Souls does. I keep hoping that someday EA will wake up, bring RG on board, and realize that there is a HUGE potential for a true successor to the core Ultima series.

Diablo169

Arcane
I keep hoping that someday EA will wake up, bring RG on board, and realize that there is a HUGE potential for a true successor to the core Ultima series.

EA don't care about niche markets like turn based RPGS, they care about making cold hard cash and you can do that easier and in higher volumes with corridor shooters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turn-based? Hah, to EA, even a game like DA:O is now niche. I fully expect there to never be an AAA party-based top-down CRPG ever again. Certainly not now when Kickstarter games are about to fully take over that market.

BigWeather

Augur
Yeah, you're right about EA. Though a future EA may be more like the EA I knew and loved in the 80s, so there's always hope. I'm going to keep on hoping until that countdown hits 0 but I'm not overly optimistic.

Enough worrying over the Ultima IP -- how do we get SSI from Ubisoft? I want a new Wizard's Crown! I'm also still holding out for Phantasie V as mentioned in the interview a couple of weeks ago.

Stabwound

Arcane
I never got something... Is there a LB fan somewhere that actually enjoyed his last creations or the latest Ultima stuff that are not even related to him? I haven't seen literally one person saying he liked Tabula Rasa, Lords of Ultima, Portalarium crap or this Ultima Forever thing. ONE. Who are these people being considered market slice for these projects? Is there at least one veteran Ultima fan that look at those things with excitement?
I don't know, but the same thing has been done with countless other game series, not just Ultima. Might & Magic puzzle games, Syndicate FPS game, X-Com FPS game, etc. The names are probably just used for recognition as annoying as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom