Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun
Is it? They never used it in game AFAIK, and obviously he wouldn't use any names. Just people who have escaped the destruction of their old world led by their monarch, Lord British. He has rights for him.

Stabwound

Arcane
Actually, the more I read about this, all signs point to this being his "Ultimate RPG" which has always been touted as being an online/social game with mobile devices the primary platform. So yeah, 1% interest dropped back down to 0.1% now.

It uses the same icons/logos, etc.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
EA/Mythic is already raping the Ultima series with F2P mobile casual cartoon crap called 'Ultima Forever'.
Please, Lord British, I beg you, do the excact opposite with your new project or your legacy will suffer irretrievably.

And please keep out Zynga.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm very cautious about this, Garriot had 30 million dollars to burn on a space trip and don't have money to make a game? This shows where his priorities are. He could easily took 5 million dollars from his fortune and make an Ultima spiritual sequel, it would be guaranteed money but get free money from Kickstarter is way too tempting (I guess he is seeing the success of Obsidian and Inxile and want a few millions too). He need to do extra effort to clean his name or I want his kickstarter to fail very hard.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm very cautious about this, Garriot had 30 million dollars to burn on a space trip and don't have money to make a game? This shows where his priorities are. He could easily took 5 million dollars from his fortune and make an Ultima spiritual sequel, it would be guaranteed money but get free money from Kickstarter is way too tempting (I guess he is seeing the success of Obsidian and Inxile and want a few millions too). He need to do extra effort to clean his name or I want his kickstarter to fail very hard.
Just a thought but maybe he'll do a Fargo-like thing and pledge to throw so much of his own money on top of whatever he gets on KS?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just a thought but maybe he'll do a Fargo-like thing and pledge to throw so much of his own money on top of whatever he gets on KS?
I don't know man, he could do that, but after Ultima 8, 9, Tabula Rasa and his enthusiastic acceptance of the casual/mobile gaming crap it is hard to trust him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kenneth says: http://ultimacodex.com/2013/03/lord-british-presents-a-countdown/comment-page-1/

It will almost certainly be a social game, unless Portalarium have heavily overhauled their business model.

It will be “fair handshake”-based free-to-play, as Garriott has stated in several interviews.

It’ll likely be multiplayer to some extent, possibly with PvP.

And it may or may not also target mobile. Garriott is a fan of mobile, which is actually quite versatile and makes an excellent gaming platform. But that’s rather more speculative than the rest of the above.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know man, he could do that, but after Ultima 8, 9, Tabula Rasa and his enthusiastic acceptance of the casual/mobile gaming crap it is hard to trust him.
Oh, believe me, I've got zero interest in this thing exactly because of what you mentioned! It will have to be the most spectacular KS pitch in history for me to begin to think about pledging any of my hard earned dollars.
:keepmymoney:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It would be interesting if this actually turns out to be a pseudo Ultima 10. Probably not in a good way, but still interesting.
Hasn't he already announced the Ultimate RPG in way though? He has pretty much said a while ago that it's going to be an online browser-based game. So unless this big announcement is going to be something else, why is he wasting our time.
We can only hope for a sequel to Ultima 7 :hmmm:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why the fuck do they want to use Kickstarter for F2P crap? Goddamnit, I bet the sheeple will be all over this.

Saduj

Arcane
This jackass could raise the amount of money he'd get from a kickstarter by just cancelling one of his parties . His running a kickstarter would be equivalent to a gainfully employed person dressing up like the homeless and panhandling on the weekends. Even from a publicity standpoint, he doesn't need Kickstarter. This isn't a situation where you'd be helping someone who otherwise can't make their game. Its more a situaiton where your contributions will prevent him from having to choose between making a game or holding his next cash bonfire.

Stabwound

Arcane
I get the feeling he doesn't give a shit about making money; he now lives in a fantasy land where he loves online/social bullshit and he's going to do that because he wants to. Or maybe he really is that delusional and thinks he's going to strike it rich again with Facebook games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think he is delusional and thinks he is going to be the next Zynga, who is currently on fire and spinning out of control and will crash soon.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Good point, however this is aimed at fans of the Ultima series. I have a feeling not many want to play a shitty F2P MMO social game.

Saduj

Arcane

The NYT cannot into gaming history:

who made his first million after developing the multiplayer online role-playing game Ultima while in his early 20s,

Let's hope they were equally inaccurate when describing what was going on in the "hedonism" tent.

A naked woman painted like a zebra lounged in a glass box as actors passed out creamy alcoholic drinks and chocolate-dipped bananas to the crowd

80Maxwell08

Arcane
You guys raise valid concerns but I'll have to point out we've already seen both a successful Kickstarter from an over-the-hill developer who doesn't actually need the money, and a successful Kickstarter for a F2P game. Admittedly neither were hits, but they did both make it. I'm not sure the Kickstarter crowd is quite as discerning as all that.
I think a difference here would be that Molyneux still wanted to make a god game and McGee wanted to make an free to play diablo style Action RPG, which are already on the free to play market. Right now Ultima fans are pissed as hell with Mythic's Ultima game and Richard Garriot is going to come out and do basically the same thing but have Lord British instead of Lady British and that's just going to work? I don't entirely think so. Maybe he proves all of us wrong and comes out with the most hardcore RPG on kickstarter to date but I would say the chances of that are very slim. Not saying you are wrong with him having a decent chance at getting the money but I still wouldn't bet on it right now. Of course it's all speculation right now so all we can do is wait.

DeepOcean

Arcane
EA and Richard just don't get it. Looking forward to this Kickstarter bomb.
I really hope it does and it sends a very clear message to Garriott that people who fund KS games DO NOT WANT THAT CRAP!!!
If the KS fail he will just invent a excuse to save his face like: "People don't want an Ultima game anymore", "I tried to innovate too much." or a very common one "kickstarter fatigue".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EA and Richard just don't get it. Looking forward to this Kickstarter bomb.
I really hope it does and it sends a very clear message to Garriott that people who fund KS games DO NOT WANT THAT CRAP!!!
If the KS fail he will just invent a excuse to save his face like: "People don't want an Ultima game anymore", "I tried to innovate too much." or a very common one "kickstarter fatigue".

And the Codex will point and laugh. :greatjob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom