Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shrine of Orm - "Horror + Wizardry"

TigerKnee

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93546740/shrine-of-orm

Put it here because the art style seems like it's going for a very "Japanese-style Western imitation" feel.

I think they're selling this on art, animation and visuals, not much on the Kickstarter on gameplay elements, so I don't really have much to say. Keep an eye on it if you're interested.

Courtier

Prophet
Reminds me of the Dark Spire. For once the first games the dev mentions are WIZARDRY and Etrian Odyssey, then PC-98 games. Not realtime Dungeon Master trash like the other 20 recent grimcocks.

Incline!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

That looks pretty cool.

• Majority of the assets hand-drawn in the style of pixel art reminiscent to the arts of 90s JRPG
  • Single Player experience of the dark story of the Shrine of Orm and its surroundings
  • Classic Turn-Based Combat experience
  • First-Person Tile-Based Dungeon Crawling in a maze-like environment
  • Many levels of dungeons with variety in its environment
  • 6 Races and 11 Classes to choose from for your 4 adventurers
  • 50+ different types of weapons and 80+ enemies which will give diversity in your calculation to victory

And yeah, I hope the developer has more to share about gameplay.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Thanks for this thread, TigerKnee!

As always, TRUE RPGs, like ths one, belong only in the JRPG forum.

GRPG is the Trump of sub-forums!

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Good video, i'm on board with their artistic choices, except for two :
- awesome music, but where are my sound effects ?
- i like enemies that pop out of the screen, but those are definitely too big

On the matter of the game mechanics anyway, i agree we don't know nearly enough.

Thanks for this thread, TigerKnee!

As always, TRUE RPGs, like ths one, belong only in the JRPG forum.

GRPG is the Trump of sub-forums!

That shtick's getting old...

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This is great. Reminds me of 80's and 90's Japanese RPGs. I'm not really confident that the game will reach the goal (90k is quite a lot) but I wish the dev all the best.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
11508743.gif

EDIT : I hope some personnalities will share the word.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Certainly worth following a thread over. Is this scene going to turn into that tavern from the first episode in Berserk?

b9d3fc320e99c448bc7b2aef6011fd2b_original.png

They look sufficiently tired of living ready for adventure to me.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93546740/shrine-of-orm/posts/1764610

What to expect from the gameplay of the Shrine of Orm

Hello there!

I saw some of you wondering if there's further explanation on the gameplay mechanics, so I've created a video explaining about it. There's way too many things to talk about it so I decided to put it into 2-3 videos. Here's one of them, talking about character creation.

I didn't go too thoroughly, but this should give you a general idea. I'll put this up on the main page as well.

Courtier

Prophet
There aren't that many old-style TB wiz lovers in the first place, and I'm pretty sure this is not being advertised much (or enough). I think 90k in a month is unrealistic in that respect, because it's one guy without notoriety or a large following, and there was little news about it beforehand. Looks like he won't see funding if it doesn't meet the goal

I just hope he keeps working on it regardless of how the campaign turns out

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There aren't that many old-style TB wiz lovers in the first place, and I'm pretty sure this is not being advertised much (or enough). I think 90k in a month is unrealistic in that respect, because it's one guy without notoriety or a large following, and there was little news about it beforehand. Looks like he won't see funding if it doesn't meet the goal

I just hope he keeps working on it regardless of how the campaign turns out

Kickstarter fatigue is also real. I refuse to pony up any money on crowdfunding anymore, ever. Got burned enough times to learn my lesson. Would buy this game in an instant if it was released, however.

getter77

Augur
I don't know that I've ever seen a project name dropping PC98 fare in the influences---to say nothing of the rest of the overall vision. The best he can hope for is coverage and cross promotion via the prior projects he's worked on that have a following. If only we could go back in time and insert this in Shaker-era KS where even things handled horrendously could gain big money and still fail like it was nothing...

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm in for a $12 early-bird pledge. But I don't think this will get funded, unfortunately. A 1-man project, no previous game dev experience - I imagine it's far too risky for a lot of people to get behind this. Mostly pledges will be people who just love the genre and are willing to gamble because there's not much out there like this being made. Not sure that's enough to get $90k.

I really like almost everything about this, and the guy seems really talented and thoughtful about the project. I think he needs to reassess the funding strategy though. Maybe get a playable prototype ready for potential backers to play, to prove that his coding and game design skills are viable.

Courtier

Prophet
I think the problem is there might not even be enough potential backers to make it to that number, and even if there are this is not getting enough exposure to reach them. If he had a playable demo he could have sent it to several vidya review sites with a ready-to-post snippet of info, THEN start his campaign and have them link to it.

He did post about it on his twitter in the months leading up to the campaign and had a prototype ready, but if you google the game all you find is the greenlight/KS/main site, this thread and a NeoFAG thread.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think the age of crowdfunding video games is done. He should've gone with IndieGoGo to get as much money as possible, use whatever he got to make a working demo and put that on Steam EA.

Luka-boy

Arcane
This project seems to have zero visibility. Which is a damn shame, it looks pretty cool :?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really love the 80's inspired art style. It reminds me of something like Shining Force, or pretty much any game made during or before the Sega CD.

However, it really doesn't seem to be doing well in terms of funds. I wish them all the best, as this is something I'm really interested in.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'm all for a 4 man party if each race/class combination is balanced and/or uniquely designed to promote different experiences. most of the time the classic 6 man party in crawlers, be they western or japanese, you're always sacrificing 2 slots: one on the chest/secret door finder character, and a 2nd slot wasted on a character doing the equivalent of item identification or crafting/enchanting; in reality you're really only making 4 real choices for the party makeup.

if the races/classes/itemization and underlying mechanics are solid enough 4 completely unique char archetypes at minimum can make for faster, more tactically-dense random encounters and for boss fights that would need bosses with less HP bloat than normal due to less slots in party for damage-dealing units.

(at least, one would hope for that).

Luka-boy

Arcane
felipepepe any chance you could give this a shoutout on twatter? It's probably going to be a drop in the ocean, but seeing this get barely a thousand bucks in the last 24 hours is just painful :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom