Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shovelware Alert: Realms of Arkania HD Remake released in unplayable state

Divinity: Original Sin
I believe these guys had good intentions, but that doesn't mean much. That's like saying the doctor who ripped the baby's head off during delivery had good intentions.

does this actually happens?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
This is what happens when you blow the entire budget on pretty graphics.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I woldn't blame the devs on the.. funny (?)... english voice-over, though :)

Anyway... I just wonder who had a deep enough lack of knowledge to put such a project into the hands of browser game developers.

Don't get me wrong, there are numerous challenges in browser game development. All the backend stuff, stable database servers & scripts, security, functioning assets streaming, etc.
It is not as easy as many people put it.
What IS easy, though (and the main reason most people think the whole projects are easy), is the front-end - the actual game as the user sees it. There's just not much to it.
And as they themselves admitted, they are web developers and were never exposed to the challenges that come with "actual" game development.

I really wonder why they not simply went with Unity, or something similar. The videos in this thread look like the results of someone with programming experience being exposed to C/C++ the first time in his life.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
k5LT12Hh.jpg
:what:

Shevek

Arcane
Hard to expect much from a remake, especially when there is nothing wrong with the original. They are nothing but soulless cash-grabs by default, kinda like Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

I love alot of what the Arkania series did but to claim there was nothing wrong with it is erroneous. The game had tons of useless skills (without looking up a FAQ, you could easily waste all your points on useless stuff), the character generation system was bad (the idea that you could "fail" to train a skill is silly), and the combat, though turn based, seemed a bit basic (no advanced combat manouvers, etc). A modern update with crisper graphics that addressed some core gameplay concerns certainly appealed me. Its a shame this remake is so poorly done.

You know, I'd pay that as an interesting take on 'infected' but slow zombies. They've got the vacant, yet somehow malevolent, stare down pretty well. The guy at the far right looks like he's passing wind though. Either that, or he just copped a nose-full of the stench, and all the other characters are trying to do their best 'it wasn't me that farted' face.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hard to expect much from a remake, especially when there is nothing wrong with the original. They are nothing but soulless cash-grabs by default, kinda like Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

I love alot of what the Arkania series did but to claim there was nothing wrong with it is erroneous. The game had tons of useless skills (without looking up a FAQ, you could easily waste all your points on useless stuff), the character generation system was bad (the idea that you could "fail" to train a skill is silly), and the combat, though turn based, seemed a bit basic (no advanced combat manouvers, etc). A modern update with crisper graphics that addressed some core gameplay concerns certainly appealed me. Its a shame this remake is so poorly done.
Nothing wrong with it as in 'it's perfectly playable' not 'perfect':

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2365.0.html

Sure, the game had issues, including useless skills but the way the character system and level up worked (you had a lot of points and could only increase (or try to increase) a skill 3 times), useless skills added flavor (like an interactive background of your character) and didn't come at the expense of useful skills. The idea that you can fail at learning isn't silly unless you are a genius who instantly grasps everything. I sadly am not, so I can definitely relate to the idea of failing.

The combat's basic, but challenging and spells add a tactical element. As for the update, *maybe* it could have been a fun game, but there is no fucking way it could have made everything better magically. Odds are, they fixed some issues, but introduced a shitload of new ones.

A user named cat

Now for something kind of related and super nerdy I discovered. I was setting up Munt earlier so I could enable mt-32 music for games like RoA. I noticed that I could also set midi out in D-Fend to my attached Casio LK-90tv keyboard that lights up played keys for learning. INTERESTING. Excuse the volume and quality, this thing has really shitty midi instruments (which is why I only use it as a midi controller):

pusheax

Novice
RoA 2&3 had 3D graphics and it was bad because of lack of interaction with 3D world. It was OK because games in the 90s only started experimenting with 3D graphics. Now when we know that 3D graphics are tens of times more expensive than 2D graphics why would you make the same mistake? Call it realms of arkania reboot and make it in full 2D. Clearly they don't have enough resources for proper 3D assets and 3D programming.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously? Oh, wow... :retarded:
I really thought it impossible to fail that badly with Unity.
How can you screw up that badly with a well-tested engine? I don't even!

Now I have to take a look at their browser games. Maybe those guys are just generally bad at what they do.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm p. sure the engine choice would have been the least of their problems here no matter what

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
- no intro
- no battle sounds
- all weapon models looks like crossbows
- most NPCs look like skeletons
- trying to cast a spell gives the message "spell not implemented"
- snow textures are broken
- walking sounds are placeholders/unbearable to listen to
:lol:

The game (...) crashes frequently with messages like this:
Code:
Failed executing javascript(Syntax Error: Mismatched closing token in expression):
function hasresponse(which){return(which==1)||getQuestState("schick_call')==2;);) of Magistrat Thorwal[2]
:lol::lol::lol:

- only one save game slot with fixed name
- save game (singular) randomly deletes itself
This is hilarious. :D

At least this game already gave me more entertainment than 20 hours of playing Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom