Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I play The Witcher 2?

Servo

Arcane
Why are you so upset about a few QTEs? Didn't have any issues with them.

QTEs can't be done right and can't organically evolve from the gameplay because of the reason highlighted.

They are never going to be natural feeling extension of game's mechanics because they are inherently un-mechanics, and they will never feel like natural extension of game's controlsbecause they are inherently un-controls.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ok tell Socrates that a QTE here and there is nothing to bitch about.

Doktor Best

Arcane
QTE was fun in the God of War games. There i said it.

It always felt it was something like a jest, a tease for the player. You had your ass pounded for 30 trys to beat that boss and finally you got him down on his knees, hands shaking with sweaty controllers and all and POOF, PRESS X MOTHERFUCKER! OH YOU DIDNT? ALL PUMPED ON ADRENALINE SO YOU MISSED ON THE TIMING? TOUGH LUCK! WELL HAVE FUN DOING THE LAST PART AGAIN!

The game was trolling you, and it was somehow fun in a weird way. The problems only start with other games trying to mindlessly copypaste that shit and implent it in games in which they dont fit in. Witcher 2 was a good example for that.

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
I didn't mind QTEs in God of War either. They were just a part of combat that you learned to anticipate.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't listen to DraQ, he's a total newfag.
Someone had to do it.

On topic, though, the only game where QTEs did not bother me was .
Really, it is always so arbitrary and weird. Even in Heavy Rain it was incredibly annoying. Or especially there...

On topic-topic, I liked both Witcher 1 and 2 and never found the combat in either one much better or worse. What I did notice is how the campaign in Witcher 2 goes downhill after the first chapter. It just shows that they ran out of time there.

It was still good, though, so go play it.

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Witcher 2 was like Dragon Age 2.
Tells you pretty much all you need to know.

In my case that still means immensely enjoyable, but your mileage may very by orders of magnitude.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
^ You know, I almost brofisted your post. But then I got to the "immensely enjoyable" part.

Don't tempt me like that...

Perkel

Arcane
I've read last page and i lost hope in humo sapiens.

TW1 combat is qte shit with sprinkle of stats.
TW2 combat is clunky as fuck real time roll away system with occasional swing and queen
TW3 combat is mediacore kind of batman style model
Maybe by TW5 they will do something good.

From story side and quest side TW1 is awesome due to C&C and characters.
TW2 lacks C&C of the first but it is basically two games in one as after chapter 1 game divides itself still fun quests and charcters

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
This thread is super necro'd

:necro:

Anyway, Witcher 2 is pretty good. The world isn't as large as in the first game, but what you do get are generally pretty focused maps that aren't just full of empty space.
I didn't like how they cut down the bestiary though. I mean, I like the monsters in the witcher 2, but there was just so much more in the first game :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom