Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I play The Witcher 2?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No I did not like the start that much. Finished the game though, and its very good overall. You feel like it was designed for consoles in mind, but hey what isn't these days.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yes. The prologue is pretty sucky, to be sure. Things only begin to pick up a bit once you get to Chapter 1.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Witcher 1 also has shit console UI.

21184twee-inventory.jpg

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
How is that a console UI exactly? Not to mention game was never out on consoles.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I've played it 4 times already and currently playing through again to import saves to W3. It's definitely worth playing for the setting, story/ choices and consequences. I remember the first time that I played where I had to choose whether to kill a certain prince or not for something they may or may not have done- it really had my head scratching. And then, in act 3 I literally couldn't sleep because (it was 4am) because so many things were happening and all the powerful characters in the game set out to meet at the same place. Unfortunately, act 3 was pretty bad and couldn't live up to the hype created in act 2 lol.

Iorveth's path was better than Roche's. The missions were clearly more enjoyable and you get to find out who the dragon was in the prologue. Don't listen to the codex and simply choose Roche- he's an undeniably better character compared to Iorveth but his missions in act 2 are very boring.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I've played it 4 times already and currently playing through again to import saves to W3. It's definitely worth playing for the setting, story/ choices and consequences. I remember the first time that I played where I had to choose whether to kill a certain prince or not for something they may or may not have done- it really had my head scratching. And then, in act 3 I literally couldn't sleep because (it was 4am) because so many things were happening and all the powerful characters in the game set out to meet at the same place. Unfortunately, act 3 was pretty bad and couldn't live up to the hype created in act 2 lol.

Iorveth's path was better than Roche's. The missions were clearly more enjoyable and you get to find out who the dragon was in the prologue. Don't listen to the codex and simply choose Roche- he's an undeniably better character compared to Iorveth but his missions in act 2 are very boring.

What did you think of witcher 1 ?

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
With the combat mod for W1 the combat wasn't too bad for the first two thirds or so. The combat mod on hard difficulty makes it so you need to switch stances and use signs in order to apply status effects on enemies, not just go fast vs. agile opponents and strong vs. the lumbering ones, plus missing a beat in the sequences could be quite dangerous, as could being attacked by more than one monster at a time due to the high chance of being interrupted when successfully attacked. This leads to some micro management and herding rather than just powering through things.

By the end, though, Igni spam was the only sane solution. Monster HP became too high to spend valuable time getting to the high damage moves, only to have to start over once you reach it.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
TW1 combat was pretty enjoyable and require an increasing level of preparation. On the other hand, an horde attacking right after the loading screen (if you enter a building or/and after a cutscene for instance) is pretty lame difficulty type.

Gozma

Arcane
I felt like Witcher 1 was a really shitty Gothic but I'm pretty sure I got through it

Zero recall of anything in it.

Wait, there was a dice game.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
It was less buggy than Gothic but not as good. Dont know why I creamed my pants over Gothic 1 when it came out. I think its because I played Ultima 9 and thought its technical achievements had potential and Gothic remedied it. I always saw Witcher as sort of a a Grimdark version of Divinity with George Martin "mature" tropes.

Beowulf

Arcane
I've played it 4 times already and currently playing through again to import saves to W3.

If that is the only reason for your current playthrough than be warned that it's possible waste of time. The only choice that matters for W3 is with Letho, other than that most of your choices are retconned and about 4 of them bring some flavor change like changing a person in one cutscene (no dialogue) or one line of dialogue. There is no Iorveth, there is no Saskia, doesn't matter if you killed or spared Henselt or the dragon. Maybe this will change in EE, but so far your choices are meaningless for W3 story (as was mostly the case when importing saves W1->W2)

About Letho
If he is alive, you can have additional sidequest and recruit him to help you in a later mission, other characters will have something to say about him as well

Last edited:

Prime Junta

At normal difficulty or lower W1 combat might as well be one really dumb QTE because of the little flamey sword icon that lights up when you're supposed to click. On Hard it's OK as you have to pay attention to the animation and sound to get the timing right. I ended up enjoying it well enough. It's also suprisingly well grounded in mechanics; you actually need to use oils and potions if you don't want to meditate-spam or constantly reload.

W2 combat was different but not IMO objectively any better, and it had utterly rubbish QTE bossfights.

Servo

Arcane
Do people that like Witcher 2 think it picks up after a while? I hate the start but a lot of games I ended up liking had a bad start. But if people that like it like the start a lot, I figure I won't bother.

I like it a lot but can't play it for more than an hour at a time because my computer heats my room upwards of 80 degrees. It wasn't so bad until I got to the forest. The krakken fight is miserable.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played The Witcher 2 through the prologue until I was so triggered by the console UI, mouse lag and cutscenes that I dropped it.

I'm aiming to pick ut up again sometime before 2035.

Just letting you know

DraQ

Arcane
Do people that like Witcher 2 think it picks up after a while? I hate the start but a lot of games I ended up liking had a bad start. But if people that like it like the start a lot, I figure I won't bother.

I like it a lot but can't play it for more than an hour at a time because my computer heats my room upwards of 80 degrees. It wasn't so bad until I got to the forest. The krakken fight is miserable.
If it's any consolation, there isn't a single thing that is nearly as bad as that kraken keiran fight afterwards.

QTE can be (and should be) turned off in TW2.
It doesn't remove them completely though.

Seriously, the person who thought it was a good idea to put QTEs in TW2 should have his fingers broken. All of them. One by one.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why are you so upset about a few QTEs? Didn't have any issues with them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom