Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone know about Inquisitor? It looks decent, but I'm not a big Action-RPG guy.
Here's Crooked Bee's review. I haven't tried it, mostly because of the review and associated discussion. The general consensus seems to be that it has nice visuals and atmosphere, but too much poor combat that devolves into potion-chugging.

Well that saves me some more time for Original Sin. Thanks!

sbb

Learned

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I admittedly played very little of it, but combat was about cycling through your skills without much thought. Story was super-generic, visuals were nice but a bit too reminiscent of Wow. Maybe the unique rifts mechanic makes it more interesting but the ever present feeling I had seen it all before made me give up.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Also - that Rift MMO. Is it worth starting up?
I played it for a while three years ago, before the expansion and F2P transition, so I don't know what's changed since then. The game is a lot better looking than WoW, with a "stylized realism" aesthetic as opposed to all-out cartooniness. This means you can create a beautiful waifu to play as, without being one of those weirdos who get off to cartoons. It also has a more interesting class system - you choose from four callings (warrior, rogue, cleric and mage), but each has several sub-classes, and you can mix and match any 3 to sort of create your own class.

The titular rifts give you something to do besides the usual quests and dungeons...when there are people to do them with. When I was playing, I found that after the starting area there would often not be anyone around to help close rifts. Invasions can be cool - these are when a lot of rifts open, the monsters come out and destroy outposts and stuff, and you need a large group of players to shut them down. Unfortunately this causes problems when there's no one else around.

Rift is ultimately just a WoW clone, with the boring quests and repetitive gameplay that entails. IMO it is better than WoW though, so you might want to try it if that's your thing.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah I liked Rift as a WoW clone with a few bells and whistles like customizable skill trees and rifts, but that's all it is.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After latest update it get better.
Still in promosing phase, like all Early Access games...

pippin

what about Gods will be Watching, bros? The premise of a "survival adventure" seems interesting, even though it has some mixed reviews,,,, although, from what I gather, most of those negative reviews were like "ewwwww not instant gratification".

Cromwell

Arcane
what about Gods will be Watching, bros? The premise of a "survival adventure" seems interesting, even though it has some mixed reviews,,,, although, from what I gather, most of those negative reviews were like "ewwwww not instant gratification".

Boring. You just click here and there and hope it turns out allright. Sounded good in the description but was not entertaining enough for me to finish even the first scene.

Academagia? KoDP is probably my favorite game of all time and I've heard Academagia is similar in some ways. Also have heard it's pretty mechanically opaque and very short. Worth my $25?

I'm biased, but it's great (KoDP is one of my favorites too). Nice atmosphere, plenty of shit to do and discover. If you are a 'power player' though, it's somewhat easy to break, so there's that. It's not that short, but it ends rather abruptly, year 2 has stuck in a "we are working on it" phase for 4 or 5 years now, it most likely will come out in 2015 but you never know.

25$ is a bit steep, but like all mildly autistic (yet at times, brilliant) devs they can't into marketing (dominions, distant worlds and such) and it's the closest thing to KoDP that was released after 2000. (in spirit, thematically it's quite a bit different)

On a side note, give Celtic Tales a shot, if you didn't already. Probably the closest game to KoDP.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Halp me codex, you're my only hoep. Is Resident Evil: Revelations any good?

Birdman and Whiplash, go!
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-nightcrawler-and-birdman/
They sort of liked it so I guess it's okay, no idea about Whiplash.
It's awful, it's one of those artsy fartsy games where there is hardly any gameplay at all. Just play the free online version of it, there's nothing more to be gained by paying for the same thing but padded out.
http://www.deconstructeam.com/gods-will-be-watching/

Johannes

Arcane
What's the Konsensus on Tropico games? Which is the best one(s) and are they worth playing at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom